PDA

View Full Version : Henry now with loading gate!

osteodoc08
04-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Henry now offers their carbine with loading gate.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/?utm_source=SF-House&utm_campaign=Side%20Gate%20Lever%20Action

Ajohns
04-26-2019, 01:17 PM
For me it can't be brass. Sorry, I just don't like it. Hopefully blued comes later, and price comes down.

bedbugbilly
04-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Interesting. If I'm reading this correctly - the rifle has both the loading tube and the ability to load through the side gate?

I wonder if they will offer this in their 357, 44 and 45 Big Boy carbines at some point in the future.

I like the brass but don't like the weight I would consider a steel one with the loading gate but wished they offered it with a matching crescent butt plate instead of the one they offer on the steel models (for the 357, 44 and 45) since on those, recoil is very manageable with a crescent butt plate and it gives a more "old west" look to the rifle which a lot of folks like.

I'm guessing the MSRP is due to the addition of the loading gate but even for the Henry quality, I would still think twice - unless once they have been on the market for a while and the gun shop / gun broker prices drop down in to the $800 range. Just my humble opinion.

I applaud Henry for listening to the desire for a side loading gate and making such things available - they have an excellent quality and excellent customer,er service and it will be interesting to see what they come up with in the months to come.

OverMax
04-26-2019, 02:03 PM
"The best of both worlds." But the price is certainly cost prohibited for this woodsy liken' feller.
Looks like I'm stuck using those Connecticut made closeted antiques for a time.
Although that 35 rem caliber sure is appealing. No doubt about that.

Ozark mike
04-26-2019, 02:06 PM
I may have to trade my 1895 for one of there's the heavier weight might come in handy from a recoil perspective. Henrys are way better than the newer marlins. My mom has one in 44. it was twice the quality of my Marlin. Having to loading areas is going to be different

historicfirearms
04-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Great, now I need ANOTHER new rifle! It just looks right with that loading gate. A 38-55 would be cool.

JBinMN
04-27-2019, 10:10 AM
I like it, but that cost needs to get down around the price of the others. Over a grand, takes it "out of the running" for me, anyway...

Froogal
04-27-2019, 10:26 AM
What's the point? It is still a side eject instead of top eject.

MrWolf
04-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Great, now I need ANOTHER new rifle! It just looks right with that loading gate. A 38-55 would be cool.

Same thoughts. I have JM Marlins in 30-30, 32 (long colt and Win spl), and 35 rem. Not a big fan of the brass though and think the steel would look better. Have to see what street prices are.

Traffer
04-27-2019, 11:28 AM
For me it can't be brass. Sorry, I just don't like it. Hopefully blued comes later, and price comes down.

That brings up a QUESTION. I wondered a while back about Henry's brass receivers. After a bit of research I found that they are actually some type of plated steel and not brass at all. Now this makes it confusing again, as the as says "hardened brass...same tensile strength as steel" . Personally I have never heard of any brass being as strong as steel... am I missing something here?

JimB..
04-27-2019, 11:36 AM
That brings up a QUESTION. I wondered a while back about Henry's brass receivers. After a bit of research I found that they are actually some type of plated steel and not brass at all. Now this makes it confusing again, as the as says "hardened brass...same tensile strength as steel" . Personally I have never heard of any brass being as strong as steel... am I missing something here?

I believe that their receivers are bronze of some sort rather than brass. I’ve heard that the .22lr receivers are brass plated steel. I haven’t confirmed any of this, all I know is that they are too pretty and too heavy.

moosemike
04-27-2019, 09:28 PM
I like it, but that cost needs to get down around the price of the others. Over a grand, takes it "out of the running" for me, anyway...

Real world price is around $700 I'm told. That 38-55 sounds cool!

buckshotshoey
04-27-2019, 11:02 PM
What's the point? It is still a side eject instead of top eject.
You are joking, right?

redhawk0
04-28-2019, 09:34 AM
I'll bet it has ballard rifling too. Much better than Marlin's MicroGroove for cast...Just MHO.

redhawk

jstanfield103
04-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Glad to see they are finally listening to the customer. They are going to give us what we have been asking for. I will like the two loading and unloading ways they are making (gate and Tube)

Ramjet-SS
04-28-2019, 10:05 AM
I believe that their receivers are bronze of some sort rather than brass. I’ve heard that the .22lr receivers are brass plated steel. I haven’t confirmed any of this, all I know is that they are too pretty and too heavy.

Hardened brass alloy.

Regardless they either appeal to one or they do not. But Henry is answering the call by offering color case hardened and steel as well these cowboy side loaders will come in many flavors just be patient. I think Henry is one of the best gun companies we have in the US right now family owned business that listens to its customer base and makes darn sure you are satisfied. Remember all the great iconic companies swallowed up by the investment groups who care about nothing but Profit? Thats what separate Henry they do care about profit but all the good they do to support our needs (they listen) and they support our economy by making the guns in the USA.

We should be happy they are here. Buy their product or not that’s a personal choice. But this is good American Company making some really good guns.

Now, if they would make a 10mm carbine I would be tickled......

FergusonTO35
04-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Yes, 100%. I'm happy that Henry hasn't decided to join the other gunmakers in the great race to the bottom for who can sell the most blue light specials at cheap mart.

Froogal
04-29-2019, 09:39 AM
You are joking, right?

NO. Not joking. Needs to be top eject for cowboy action shooting.

curioushooter
04-29-2019, 07:12 PM
It's about time Anthony...the man finally saw the light...now come on and figure out that most shooters don't want their rifles made of shiny gaudy heavy soft brass...make it in steel and I won't waste a second buying one.

And I just bought a Marlin 1894cs...well I suppose Henry in 35 Rem would be neat.

buckshotshoey
05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
NO. Not joking. Needs to be top eject for cowboy action shooting.

Don't know where you came up with this.... maybe you can educate me.

While the top eject may be the most popular, the only requirement I could find was .... "The firearms used are limited to firearms or replicas thereof, of the kind produced before 1899." And pistol type ammo is used.

Froogal
05-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Don't know where you came up with this.... maybe you can educate me.

While the top eject may be the most popular, the only requirement I could find was .... "The firearms used are limited to firearms or replicas thereof, of the kind produced before 1899." And pistol type ammo is used.

National Congress of Old West Shooters. NOT SASS. We are a bit more particular about authentic representations. I own a Henry Big Boy. I cannot use it at any event.

buckshotshoey
05-03-2019, 06:31 PM
National Congress of Old West Shooters. NOT SASS. We are a bit more particular about authentic representations. I own a Henry Big Boy. I cannot use it at any event.

Makes a little more sense now.