PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Boots?

harley45
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I just spent way to much on a sharkskin rig for my 1911 and have a yearning for a pair of sharkskin cowboy boots to match. However I know very little about boots and a google search only confused me can anybody here make a recomendation?
Thanks
Eric

longhorn
12-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Tony Lamas always seem to fit my feet (narrow arch, wide toe box) better than Nocona or Justin or Dan Post, but all are pretty well made; Luchese is widely touted as the best of the ready-mades, but I've never owned a pair. I'd suggest you go to a real western wear store (good excuse for a road trip?) to get fitted. Don't get discouraged the first few days/weeks of wear. Ostrich seems to be the "quickest comfortable'" but I had an eelskin pair once that broke in quickly; not very tough, though. Never had any sharkskin. Or forget all the above, and buy custom. It's a lot of money, but these aren't running shoes you replace every few months. Case in point: my father plans on being buried in the same (custom) pair he got married in in 1953, and I can verify that he's worn 'em quite regularly for the last 45 years!

wills
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Go to M. L. Leddys in San Angelo, visit carpetman while you are there.

NVcurmudgeon
12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
If you have a narrow foot, here's a tip from a man who wears an 8B. Many boot vendors will try to make a D width "fit" by selling you one size shorter. Don't go for it! Instead go to the ladies' boot section of a large, well stocked Western store. I suffered in misfits for years, but now in comfortable in ladies' sizes. Don't worry, nobody will be able to tell the difference, except in the big grin you'll be wearing because your boots fit.