PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot or reflex site for 45 Colt Blackhawk?

Slogg76
10-21-2008, 12:25 AM
A buddy of mine wants to put a red dot or open reflex site on his Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt to replace the Leupold 2x scope that he is not happy with. He asked me for advice, but I do not have much experience with mounting that type of optics on a handgun and figured the knowledgable folks that post here might. He also does not want to spend more than $250. Can anyone suggest a good red dot type optic that will hold up to the recoil of +P 45 Colt loads and still be purchased for $250 or less? Thanks in advance for any recomendations.

44man
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Have him go to www.ultradotwest.com (http://www.ultradotwest.com) and take a look. I like the 30mm. $140 and free shipping. Lifetime warranty and they hold up to the .475 and .500's.
Then put a Weigand base, no. 957-124-100 from Brownell's, $30, on it and even the rings that come with the Ultra Dot will hold. Or use Warne rings.
Look at my avitar, those are Ultra Dots. Best deal for the money there is.

Whitworth
10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree with everything 44man said. He talked me into putting one on my .475 and I couldn't be happier. Here it is........

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC03088.jpg

Slogg76
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will pass along that information.

fecmech
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I have an Ultra dot 30 mm riding the slide on my .45 auto wad gun. Been on there a few years now with no problems or loss of zero(in excess of 5000 rds). Granted I'm not shooting max loads but the slide cycling back and forth sure isn't too gentle!

Dale53
10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
fecmech;
I have both Ultra Dots and Simmons dots. Both serve me well.

The Ultra Dot is better for heavy recoiling pistols and revolvers (say, more than a .44 magnum). I talked to the Simmons tech at some length at the NRA Convention this year and he told me that a .45 Slide does NOT represent a problem to the Simmons Red Dots (or other good ones). He told me that the "gravities" are miniscule to some of the hard kickers like the .454 Casull and bigger. Some of them pull 2200 "G's" and will destroy some scopes and Red Dots. The Simmons is rated for high end .44 magnums but NO MORE. I have two Simmons on my 625's and like them really well. However, for my .454's I will mount Ultra Dots. You will like the 30mm better than the 1" one as you can "find the hole" faster and easier with the larger Red Dot. On the other hand, the REALLY large ones are too top heavy for my taste.

By the way, one of the negatives with Red Dot Sights are the fact that if you leave it on when putting it away the battery runs down (duh-h-h-h[smilie=1:). I have done that more than once:roll:. I bought a bunch of batteries from:

http://www.batterybob.com/category.asp?cat=9024

NOTE: When you buy in quantity, the price goes WAY down per battery. One battery costs you $3.99 but you can buy ten for $13.75 ($1.25 per battery) with FREE shipping. Now, THAT is a deal. I have dealt with Battery Bob several times. He ships quite quickly and NO SHIPPING!

Dale53

crabo
10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I really like the Ultradot 4 so I can choose which size dot I want to use for different situations and guns. I also use the Weigand base.

cabezaverde
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Are the Ultra dots bright enough for use in snow on the ground conditions (bright sunny day)?

Whitworth
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Absolutely! There are eleven degrees of brightness, and it will burn your retinas if you want it to........