PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg, Pa.

dpoe001
04-22-2019, 04:39 PM
I don't live far from Gettysburg,I grew up visiting the battlefields,camping in the local campgrounds from the mid 60s thru the 70s.Had my kids visiting the area while they were growing up.I never bought any thing as a tourist until this past weekend, i just couldn't resit picking this up! Boolits and buttons from a farm at the battlefields

04-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Love going to Gettysburg. Nice memento.

RED BEAR
04-22-2019, 06:37 PM
You can't throw a rock where i live without hitting a battlefield from war between the states. As a kid dug up cannon shells and balls in back yard bayonets and other misc. Stuff.

labradigger1
04-22-2019, 08:44 PM
You’re killing me. I absolutely love relic hunting!

You can't throw a rock where i live without hitting a battlefield from war between the states. As a kid dug up cannon shells and balls in back yard bayonets and other misc. Stuff.

bedbugbilly
04-26-2019, 07:21 PM
There is just something special about Gettysburg - been there many times. I had a g-g-uncle who was a sergeant in Co. B, 7th Mich. Vol. Cavalry - Custer's Michigan Brigade. He was at Gettysburg - captured on July 6 while pursuing the retreating rebels - paroled and was shot near Cedar Creek in VA in 1864 - died as a result of his wounds and is buried in Nat. Cam. at Winchester. Had a number of other ancestors who were at
Gettysburg as well. "Hallowed Groud" for sure. Enjoy those relics - I'm sure they remind you a lot of your childhood activities and it's nice you showed your kids where you tromped when young as well.

Ozark mike
04-27-2019, 02:00 AM
While not Gettysburg I lived in West plains Mo for several years. The rebs burnt that town to the ground 3 times

RED BEAR
04-27-2019, 09:03 AM
I would like to see Gettysburg some day i know its not that far from where i live but have hard time driving across town. But i can consol myself there are at least 20 or 30 small parkes with in 10 miles from me evidence of trenches and fortifications can be found throughout the woods. I also had family who fought in the war but for the south. The small town i grew up in was involved in the last big battle of the war. Lincolns headquarters was only a couple of miles from our home . The battle of petersburg may not have been as big as Gettysburg but it lasted more than 9 months. This is also a very interesting battlefield to visit. We used to relic hunt all the time . Bullets were so common we used to use them to melt down for casting. Now you don't see them like that anymore. With a short drive you can see battlefields of revolutionary war and where it ended in yorktown. With another short drive you can see where this country started in jamestown. I see people on news fighting development saying we can't destroy this or that portion of this or that battlefield i just kinda chuckle you can't build an outhouse without disturbing one or another battle field just bout the whole state was a battlefield especially from dc to petersburg and richmond to Chesapeake.

TNsailorman
04-27-2019, 10:34 AM
East Tennessee was more of less neutral during the War Between the States. They were more pro-union than anything but would fight about any army that came thru. Just down the road is a small cemetary with stone markers that mark unknown union soldier because the names were unknown to the people who buried them. They were a small scouting detachment (about 12 men) that ran into a larger Southern unit and were making a run for the Bean Station Union post. Just below Surgoinsville they ran headlong into another Southern Force and were trapped between the 2 forces and a bluff and were wiped out. I haven't been to that site in over 60 years now and I wonder if it is still there. I may have to take a trip and find out. james