PDA

View Full Version : Soviet russian and some other shotgun projectiles

Markopolo
04-22-2019, 08:32 AM
I thought this was interesting. My son studying in Finland sent this..

SOVIET RUSSIAN AND SOME OTHER SHOTGUN PROJECTILES

Top line, from left to right:

Smooth spherical lead bullet. Usually sub-caliber ball, seated to the cartridge with a concentrator and cardboard "collar".

"Belted and pimpled" spherical bore-sized lead bullet, seated into the shell without a concentrator but usually with a "support collar". Designed for shotguns with a choked muzzle.

Cylindrical bullet of lead (alloy) or lathe-turned from some more hard metal for cylinder-bore shotguns. Usually dimensioned to be somewhat sub- caliber. Non-stable. Inaccurate to the ranges more than 10 - 15 meters.

German Von WITZLEBEN projectile with a soft wooden longitudinally grooved tail and sub-caliber cylindrical point of hardened lead or cast iron. (Illustrated is just one variation of von Witzleben's "shotgun darts", designed since mid-1890s). For break-loader shotguns only! Bullet's metal point extended usually from the mouth of shell, having no crimp at all.

SHIRINSKY-SHIHMATOV slug. Soviet or Russian design. (Date unknown). Hollow-pointed lead bullet. Presumably designed for use with explosive charge in the point cavity. Note six "split grooves" around the shank of a lead slug. A lead rod extendind from a base of the lead slug acts as a "rivet", fixing a felt tail-wad.
YAKAN slug with the curved "air rifling" ribs. Original design of German WILHELM BRENNEKE in pre-1910 era but the slugs were "impossible to mass-produce" according to designer. Production licence was sold to a Lithuanian firm, owned by the YAKANIS family. The felt tail-wad was screw- fixed like the tail of Brenneke slug. Production of these slugs continued to the end of Soviet Lithuanian era. (Variation of Yakan slugs may be still in production with the non-curved ribs).

Lower line, from left to right:

ORIGINAL BRENNEKE SLUG MODELL 1930. Still in production. Among the most popular shotgun projectiles in the world, despite of it's high price. WILHELM BRENNEKE designed several other slugs since 1931, but none of them became as successful as the Modell 1930. So they disappeared soon from the production line. When shot from cylinder-bored shotguns, the Original Brenneke M/-30 is among the most accurate slugs of the world, although the rotational rate of it is rather slow. Shooting of it from more choked guns is safe if the powder charge is correct, but accuracy may suffer by the flattening of air rifling ribs. The Brenneke Slug is, however, able to fly mass- stabilized without the air-rifling at all.

"Grim secret" of accuracy is the production method: A cold swaging of almost pure lead cylinder. Some less expensive slugs, similar to Original Brenneke in shape and size, are of die-cast lead alloy with somewhat porous or wringled surface. They are less accurate as the "Original", but they may be still accurate enough to the usual shotgun range: 35 to 40 meters. The felt tail-wad of original slug and it's cast facsimiles is fastened with a worm-threaded screw.

MAYER "turbine bolt". Russian design. Date unknown. (Inventor was a jew; therefore the German or actually Yiddish family name). Similar to the Yakan slug, but with straight ribs, flat "wadcutter" point and lengthened tail: Three standard-sized felt wads with over-powder cardboard discs above and below the wad column. Could be handloaded directly over the "Sokol Poroha" charge. Wad column was fastened with a thin "machine screw", which was presumably unable to keep it. Lead slug itself could be made by swaging from a cold lead cylinder.

BROTHERS SOKOLOV "turbine bolt". Overly complicated Soviet design. Date unknown. Four slanting "wings" projecting from the bullet's point were protected with a lead sleeve. Presumably never adopted for the mass-production, although it had some kind of "explosive" effect at usual shotgun ranges.

STENDEBACH "IDEAL" MODEL 1924 "turbine bolt". A German invention. Still produced in many
countries, including Spain. Slanted wings are integrated with walls of a rearwards tapered air passage of this tubular soft lead bullet.

MAYER MODEL 1965 SLUG (a Soviet design) was the most popular, rather inexpensive and very accurate Soviet Russian rifled slug before the "polymer era". It may be still in production. The slanting "wings" or ribs projects far enough from the projectile's tail-end to give rotational movement and especially arrow-like fin-stabilization even when the slug is shot through a full or extra-full choke. (In Russia the muzzle diameter of extra-full choked shotgun barrels may be almost 11⁄2 millimeter smaller than the bore diameter. Constriction of usual full-choked muzzle is one millimeter in shotguns with bore sizes from 10 to 24 gauge ).

PARADOX bullet for shotguns with rifled choke. Private ownersip of rifled firearms was extremely rare during Soviet era. In Russian language term "ohotnichye ruchyo" (hunting gun) means a smoothbore gun, i.e. shotgun. Rifled shoulder military arm is a "vintovka" but a sport or hunting rifle is sometimes known as "nareznom orudiye" (a "cut" weapon; derivation from cut rifling). Private ownership of Paradox-rifled shotgun was allowed. Soviet firearms industry did'nt, however, produce Paradox guns or barrels - as far a I know - but the blacksmiths or mechanics of agricultural machinery depots could earn some extra income by filing the slanted grooves inside the choked gun muzzles.

Length of the rifling was mere 50 millimeters, but it was able to give rotational movement to the projectile for improved accuracy. (Projectiles designed for Paradox-rifled shotguns were usually inherently mass-stabilized in flight. It is possible to shoot some kinds of them from a smooth bore, but also some kinds of projectiles designed for usual shotguns were possible to shoot from a Paradox bore. "Rifled slugs" with slanted ribs give sometimes very poor accuracy in Paradox gun, but "hooped" bullets are O.K.). Paradox grooves were made usually by filing - one by one. Before rifling, it was needed to remove the thin hard chromium lining from the choke of barrel by grinding with Carborundum abrasive. Since 1960s - if not still earlier - most Soviet shotgun bores were hard- chromed; even those of cheapest single-shot BAIKAL IJ-18 guns.

I don't know, whether this Paradox bullet on drawing is produced in England, in Imperial Russia or in Soviet-Russia. When looking with keen eye, one can see that it is a kind of "Express Bullet" with a very deep point-cavity, large enough to hold a .22 Rimfire case or loaded .22 Long cartridge as a primed detonating capsule. It is also possible to fill the cavity with some percussion- or compression- sensitive explosive material like black or shotshell powder and granulated match heads plus a little wood peg as a striker or plunger in the bullet's point cavity.

Some wax or grease may also be efficient substitute of explosive charge. Hydrodynamic pressure is able to separate bullet's point from its base. Sharp corners of the deep "waist groove" makes the bullet easy to break in two parts, and the Paradox bullets were usually of hard and brittle lead alloy; not of almost pure soft lead like is majority of bore-sized slugs. Point and base make separate wound channels. Explosion of detonating charge shall complete damage of soft tissue

bikerbeans
04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
I figure it will take Longbow about a week to make clone molds for these slugs.:smile:

BB

longbow
04-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Been there, done that! You know me pretty well! I've made several replica type moulds of several of these slugs. Only one so far that shows significant promise is the Brenneke style but as usual the attached wad is the issue to get them identical.

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/historia5.html

It is an interesting site though I have trouble navigating. Its often easier to use Google with search terms to find various pages.

The slugs I am curious about but have not yet made a mould for are these guys:

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/historia4.html

Similar to the Blondeau slug which was machined from steel with rubber "driving bands".

These same type of slugs are still in use and apparently can be quite accurate. However, I have not seen any testing of these. Taofledermaus had some that looked a lot like the Blondeaus but IIRC they didn't fair too well.

If they fly well, they'd be a good candidate for zinc slugs. I've got too many things to test now! Been tied up with archery lately though so no slug shooting.

Longbow