PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 problem

Waldoone
04-21-2019, 11:38 PM
Hi all, I'm having problems with my 450. It sizes my 9mm just fine but with my 401's and 452's the cast bullets are getting stuck and are very hard to remove. I've even had to use a hammer to drive them out from underneath. any ideas out there?

243winxb
04-22-2019, 12:00 AM
If the die is clean , prelube it before sizing the first bullet. Homemade lube?

Had a new die that was defective. The bevel into the die wasnt right. There was a smaller diameter, like a ring just past the die mouth. Removed it with some emery paper on a wood dowel.

Waldoone
04-22-2019, 12:06 AM
The die has been used to size many, many bullets. After it stuck I took it out and cleaned it. Not using lube just sizing then powder coating. Did use a spray lube in die to no avail. I've used this die many times in the past with no problems

mattw
04-22-2019, 12:33 AM
Howdy to another Illinois guy. I use Unique case lube on one bullet, when they get tight I just run it thru again. They really are meant to apply lube to work their best. I have found that polishing the die with 1500 grit wet/dry paper really helps them to work better.

C.F.Plinker
04-22-2019, 12:52 AM
I had a similar problem. I had cleaned my die after using it and when I went to use it later it locked up tight. I found that it was dry and needed lube in order to work. Oil wasn't enough. Get some lube from the reservoir on your finger and smear it on the plunger part before putting it in the die body and inserting them in the lubesizer. Then pressurize the die using the pressure screw before attempting to size the first boolit. Since then I always at least pressurize the die before attempting to size with it. I have been known to just partially insert the plunger, pressurize the die, and move it fully into the die by either raising the handle or lowering the handle and letting the nose punch move the plunger into position for inserting the boolit.

rbuck351
04-22-2019, 02:27 AM
Lead is very sticky in an unlubed sizer die. I PC them and then size them.

Waldoone
04-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the good info guys. Die and machine both operate fine until I tried to size a bullet. Turns out that lead is very sticky on it's own. I was using lubrasizer to size bullets for powder coating without lube pressure. It has worked fine for hundreds of bullets that way. Must have dried out. I happened to catch a video from Fortunecookie45 this morning who had a similar condition. I squeezed some lube into the die and it seems to be working fine now. It would seem that oils and other case lubes won't do it has to have some kind of waxy bullet lube to keep from sticking. Thanks again, Jim