PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500, any reason to keep?

StuBach
04-21-2019, 07:43 AM
So I had a broken original Star Lubsizer which could size but couldn’t lube to a crack on the pivot collar. Recently I was able to free up some time and send it into Magma and despite it being one of the originals with the pressure fitted base they were able weld the collar back together in a nice tight fit and everything works now.

I’ve been using the Star for all my PC sizing for a while and the 4500 I have had been just for the occasional lubing and a couple of calibers I don’t have dies for in the Star.

My question, now that I have a Star and heavily preference it, is there any reason to keep the 4500?

I’d like to liquidate it to fund a Lathesmith Star die and roller handle for my remaining calibers but don’t want to end up needing the 4500 down the road. Is there anything the 4500 can do that the Star can’t?

Insights from all who have experience welcome.

rancher1913
04-21-2019, 08:30 AM
if its paid for and you don't need the funds from the sale its never a bad thing to have a back up. I mostly pc and size with the lee push thru's but still keep a couple of 450's around just in case.

BrassMagnet
04-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Keep it for pointed boolits!

Murphy
04-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Keep it.

Okay, so there are several alternatives to lubing and sizing bullets these days with power coating, liquid alox, pan lubing, push through sizers...etc. Guess I'm too old school and prefer to still use my Star or a Lyman with a traditional lube of some sorts. Better to have it sitting back then one day find yourself wishing you had kept it back for the same reason you have it now.

Murphy

Triggerfinger
04-21-2019, 11:30 AM
I use one for smokeless lube and another of BP.

joatmon
04-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Sell it and get your other dies! If something happened to your Star 450's are getting cheaper with all the powder coating nowadays.
Aaron

Blammer
04-21-2019, 02:56 PM
sell it or trade it

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-22-2019, 12:00 PM
I'd keep the Lyman.
maybe you wanna try a different lube some time?
Also, there will be no doubt you will want it for something, at some point.

Myself, I prefer to use a Lyman for certain types of Rifle boolits, especially the tiny 22 cal boolits.

gwpercle
04-25-2019, 03:56 PM
It ain't eating no hay...get rid of it and when you need a back up...then what you gonna do !
I would keep it .

RED BEAR
04-25-2019, 09:36 PM
I have a hard time turning things loose. If your star should ever break again youd have it. Of course I have things setting on shelf collecting dust for decades not years.

44magLeo
05-05-2019, 09:25 PM
I was taught that it's better to have something than need something.
That's why I have some much stuff hanging around.
I had a friend that thought the opposite. If he didn't use something for 6 months he got rid of it, lost three wives that way.
Leo