PDA

View Full Version : scrap reclaimed copper from range scrap

triggerhappy243
04-21-2019, 04:31 AM
i have been smelting indoor range scrap for a bit and have 5 buckets of copper jacket scrap. my local recyclers do not want it. what are others doing with it?

Stephen Cohen
04-21-2019, 05:02 AM
I have 4x 5 gallon buckets of it just waiting for some way to turn it into cash, perhaps putting it in a bonfire and melting it into a big blob will make it more wanted. Regards Stephen

BK7saum
04-21-2019, 08:13 AM
I have gotten dirty copper price (#2) for mine in the past, but I go through and remove the rocks and bullets that didn't rupture/open. Also made sure that the jackets had all the lead melted out of them. Kind of a pain, but I sell about 3 gallons at a time, so not a huge deal. If I didnt go to the trouble, probably couldnt sell any of it.

rancher1913
04-21-2019, 08:22 AM
I have been working on a smelter to turn it into ingots it but haven't got very far with it yet, my theory is if it looks like a big chunk of copper they will take it.

nun2kute
04-21-2019, 08:53 AM
I've heard this before but I don't understand it since copper is the highest priced non-ferrous material I would think they'd take it for dirty or maybe offer brass prices. Scrap metal prices are taking a dive at the end of the month here, so maybe it's more wide spread than I can see. But even at cut prices, they should be able to make something off it. Keep looking, there is a scrap buyer some where that will take it.

lightman
04-21-2019, 09:33 AM
I don't melt much range scrap but I do save junk and damaged cartridge brass. I have to call around to find a yard that will buy it. Not all of them will and those that will don't always take it. Its a pain!

jdfoxinc
04-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Smelting copper jackets that have lead on them into ingots will release gaseous lead and zinc into the air. Yes copper cladding for bullet jackets is alloyed with a small % of zinc.

Conditor22
04-21-2019, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing The recycler doesn't like the dirty jackets, I've got a bucket I'm figuring an easy way to clean and get "bright and shiny", they should take them then.

jsizemore
04-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Most scrapyards in my area wouldn't take it. One did and paid me copper price and then changed to red brass price. It took a while to figure how to get the lead gone.

DanishM1Garand
04-21-2019, 01:45 PM
I'm sure that the insurance companies make scrap yards leery of brass from bullets. I remember sorting range brass as a Marine to ensure there wasn't a live round. I remember a range officer getting relieved over scrapping live ammo.

RP
04-22-2019, 12:29 AM
To remove all the lead off the jackets you need to flux with a oil I used old engine oil and light it on fire the bonus heat will free the jackets of any lead and watch out for the squirts of lead coming out of the bullets that have not let the lead out.
The scrape yard here call it red brass not copper as far as melting the jackets down into a ingot that gets tricky I used a forced air oil fired setup I made to melt alum with to melt some brass my pot was a AC tank it failed to much heat. I am working on a LP powdered system now the oil was just to messy and hard to control the heat level. But I think the cost and time of melting down the jackets to sell for scrape would not be worth it odds are it would even cost you money in the end.
I would get them clean while you are fluxing and remove any trash like rocks and steel and stash them in a 55 drum when that is full it may be worth a drive to a place that will buy them. When I was mining berms the jackets I sold for scrap added more then a few new toys to the safe .

scotner
04-22-2019, 12:53 AM
I don't melt much range scrap but I do save junk and damaged cartridge brass. I have to call around to find a yard that will buy it. Not all of them will and those that will don't always take it. Its a pain!

Local yard has it in their price list. I have seen them quote from 70 cents to $1.10/lb. I took a 5 gallon bucket out there a couple of weeks ago and got 90 cents a pound.

Grantb
04-23-2019, 03:21 AM
I have sold a few buckets of copper jackets from melting range scrap. The local scrap yard gave me the price for dirty copper which I was happy with.

WRideout
04-23-2019, 07:03 AM
The local scrap yard I frequent gives me the price for yellow brass. I can get a few bucks for a coffee can of bullet jackets, which is good enough for me. Any more I recover a lot of range scrap, and use the proceeds from scrap yard sales to fund my habit.

Wayne

tomme boy
04-24-2019, 12:48 AM
#1 and #2 copper every time I took it in here. It just depends on the yard. A couple will not touch it.

Yogi
02-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Seems like different yards do different things. makes it tough to get the value out of it. The idea I guess is the 55 gallon drum till I find someplace or something to do with it. I like that Idea for now, might have to get a 2nd drum this summer. LOL.

smithnframe
02-23-2020, 08:41 PM
I throw mine in the trash!

Outpost75
02-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Scrap yard I use dumps the buckets onto the concrete tipping floor, then hovers a large electromagnet over the pile to pull out any clad-steel jackets. They shovel the remainer into a welded wire basket with 1/4" mesh and put it in a paint shaker to separate out any dirt and rocks. The contents of the basket are dumped onto the scale and they pay for it at the same rate as for fired range brass, about $1.30/pound currently.

Outpost75
02-23-2020, 09:23 PM
I throw mine in the trash!

For each 5 gallon bucket you are throwing away about $50.

10 ga
02-23-2020, 11:15 PM
The guy that runs the "weigh and buy house" at the yard I utilize gives me the dirty copper price weight on bullet jackets. I make sure to keep him in peppers and vegetables when I am there in the summer and game meat in the fall and winter. And I try to have some fish filets sometimes. He is always smiling when I back the PU into the bay. Then to the pay out house and gets my $ and away I go. And I usually have plenty scrap. Copper pipe, scrap wire, brass pipe fittings, all kinds of aluminum, catalytic converters, electric motors, radiators from appliances/motor vehicles and of course scrap steel and iron. 2 or 3 trips a year and helps defray cost of my various toy addictions. 10

imashooter2
02-24-2020, 12:04 AM
For each 5 gallon bucket you are throwing away about $50.

Only if you can sell it. I’m happy for those that can get money out of it. The yards around here won’t touch them.

remy3424
02-25-2020, 11:49 PM
They are metal, throw them it in a recycle bin somewhere....the trash? There is enough garbage without throwing recyclable metal into it.

Cheeto303
02-26-2020, 12:29 AM
Doug, my local scrap guy will take from me. I make sure it is relatively clean with no pebbles or lead in it. He gives me #2 price. I usually bring in 4-5 5 gal buckets along with copper pipe and wire. I volunteer to clean up a public range and will fill 6-7 5 gal buckets at a time. I sort it,take out any steel/aluminum cases/range crud and keep what I want, then I take it to Doug. Last time he gave me .88 cents a Lb. I get more for the rifle brass that I separate for him as he also reloads.

Chad5005
02-26-2020, 12:49 AM
grass burner will melt the remaining lead off the copper as you remove it from your pot,if your scrap yard is that hard on you

bumpo628
02-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Has anyone ever tried tumbling jackets to brighten them up? Either in vibratory or rotary tumbler or even a cement mixer might do the trick.

triggerhappy243
02-28-2020, 10:45 PM
Has anyone ever tried tumbling jackets to brighten them up? Either in vibratory or rotary tumbler or even a cement mixer might do the trick.

i was going to try it in a cement mixer and add some ammonia.