PDA

View Full Version : Partial paper patching (PPP)

JeffinNZ
10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Team.

Though I have the correct heel bullet mould on the way from AU right now for my .380 Rook rifle I thought about PP .38 pistol bullets (.357) and trying them.

If I were to use a PB bullet and leave the rear driving band bare as the 'heel' and just patch the front end would this work? Does the patch have to extend right the base of the bullet and fold round the end?

docone31
10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Jeff, I don't believe you will accomplish the desired effect.
With the paper patching I have done, the sizer takes what is left of the tail and it is sized into the base.
I would wrap them, cut off the tails, load them up, and go for it. Won't hurt to try it. Try some your idea way. Who knows.
The worst case scenario, missed target and lesson learned.
That is how I got my sizing for my .303. By gosh and by golly.
Let us know how it works.

powderburnerr
10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
it probably would depend on the alloy , if real hard it might slip through the patch on you .and especially if the patch is thick.........Dean

docone31
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
That was one of my thoughts.
I am not really sure, but I believe the paper going around at least some of the bottom provides some resistance to blow by.
I have had some tails tear mostly off before cutting. Some were pretty small around the edge.
They still shot ok.
I am not at all sure about partial jackets. Maybe short jackets, but around the base of the casting.

longbow
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming this is a standard grease groove boolit so the paper should grip the lube grooves and I would figure that especially if it rolls over into the last lube groove it should be fine.

If they tend to unroll on you try using a bit of milk to stick the edge down. That should hold it but not as solid as glue.

If it was a smooth boolit I would try just a light knurling or rolling under a coarse file to roughen the surface slightly.

I would give a few a try just to see.

Longbow

JeffinNZ
10-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. I intend to use a regular grease groove bullet and as Longbox alluded to I would terminate the back end of the patch in the rearward groove.

I will see if I can borrow a .38 mould and give it a whirl now I have the elusive 9lb onion skin paper (in pink no less; very liberating).

Bigjohn
10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I will see if I can borrow a .38 mould and give it a whirl now I have the elusive 9lb onion skin paper (in pink no less; very liberating).

What is it with you and these colours, Jeff? :roll:

Purple Longjohns and pink paper patched Boolits; I supose the game you hunt aren't too worried about the clothes you wear and the colour of the patching material.

John

docone31
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Jeff, I think I would just twist the tail, let it dry and snip it off. Once you size the patch, it becomes the bottom anyway.
Sure is an whole lot less work.
Once you roll a few you will see. I have even loaded them with tails intact. Didn't notice the difference.

longbow
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Another option that may help wrapping. As docone31 says, you could patch normally (may make wrapping easier), wait for it to dry then use a razor knife or other to cut the patch around the last lube groove. That should make wrapping a little easier adn when you cut the paper will roll down into the groove then just peel off the power portion to expose the "heel".

Longbow

docone31
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I agree, but my question is why?
We are talking fairly small here. A .357 diameter casting makes a small wrap. I have enough trouble with tails at .314. His are not that much larger.
I feel, the paper rounding the corner, plus the tail remainder acts as a gas check untill the boolitt is completely in the bore.
This will be interesting. Jeff tends to be fairly thorough and documents his results. He makes things happen. His adventures with aluminium gas checks are evidence.
I wonder, if the paper patch only travels as far as the muzzle, what is being accomplished?
That is how we learn.
I do not think, the casting is going to shed the patch in the bore. Even if it was smooth sided, the patch will stay on, at least to the muzzle.
Handling those wet patches is an ordeal in itself. I do on occasion, tear a few tails on wrapping. On those, I try to fold the remainder onto the base. So far, on those, sizing has had no issue with "short" tails. Kinda hard to handle though. I use the tails to lift the boolitts from the loading block to the cutting and sizing. Of course, I have large hands. Small things are tough to me. It is hard for me to touch the patches without damaging them while they are still wet. I make Hagar the Horrible boolitts. Subtlty with a sledge hammer.
I am looking forward to his photos. We all just might learn something.
I know how shiney my bore has become with paper patching. I got rid of all the chatter in the bore.

longbow
10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
docone31:

Jeff is looking for something to use as a "heeled" boolit. The outside of the boolit is the same size as the outside of the cartridge except for a short length at the base which is smaller so can be crimped into a cartridge ~ like .22 rimfire.

I'm guessing .380 Rook is about 0.375" groove so a 0.357" boolit wrapped with 0.003" to 0.004" paper would fit the barrel, then leave the last base band unwrapped to fit into the case mouth and crimp.

Longbow

docone31
10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I gotcha. It took me a time to make sense out of that. I wonder if he will need to do that.
If there is provision for a gas check on the mold, that should work as is.
With paper jackets though, I am not sure I would toss them in a pocket in the field.
My cases keep the paper stable.
I bet Jeff is going to make this work.
It will be interesting to see.