PDA

View Full Version : How to clean/rehab H&I sizing dies?

Gray Fox
04-19-2019, 08:34 PM
I have a segmented plastic box in which I keep all of my H&I dies grouped by size. Many of them haven't been used in quite a while and the old lube has turned to varnish on them. What's the recommended way of getting them clean and ready to use? GF

mattw
04-19-2019, 09:08 PM
I would remove what I could by finger nail, remove o-rings the boil them out. Separate the parts when you can, let them dry and oil with CLR.

Bazoo
04-19-2019, 09:11 PM
I've boiled them before and that works pretty well. If the lube is varnish like I think maybe a soak in kerosene or hoppes 9 would clean it up.

lightman
04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Years ago when I switched from the old black Lyman Ideal lube I cleaned my dies by boiling them. I removed the "O" ring and put the dies in a pot of water on the burner I use for melting lead. A tooth pick got into the tight places. Steel wool or 1200 grit emory cloth will polish up the surfaces.

Valley-Shooter
04-20-2019, 11:14 AM
I've always used solvents (acetone or Hoppes) to clean mine. Paper towels and Q-tips. Only takes a minute or 2.
If I wanted to clean a bunch of them, I would remove the o-rings and soak them in a jar of acetone.

Bent Ramrod
04-20-2019, 11:53 AM
I put a piece of paper towel on a piece of aluminum foil, put the assembly in the oven, stand the die on it, and turn the oven to “Low.” Twenty minutes later, all the lube is absorbed by the paper towel. Take the die out with another piece of paper towel (it will be hot), and, if necessary, poke any remaining lead particles or other junk out of the holes with a Q-Tip shank.

The low heat and the short time prevents your next casserole or soufflé from tasting like Alox.

avogunner
04-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Boiling works just fine but I use a heat gun. Just set the die on paper towels, a minute or two with the heat and it's all done. I do this all the time when changing lube or dies between sizers. Quick and easy!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Hickory
04-20-2019, 12:13 PM
I put a piece of paper towel on a piece of aluminum foil, put the assembly in the oven, stand the die on it, and turn the oven to “Low.” Twenty minutes later, all the lube is absorbed by the paper towel. Take the die out with another piece of paper towel (it will be hot), and, if necessary, poke any remaining lead particles or other junk out of the holes with a Q-Tip shank.

This is what I do, works great and little or no mess.

mac60
04-21-2019, 12:44 AM
This is what I do, works great and little or no mess.

Me too.