PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to remove price stickers from an old cartridge box?

BPSharps
04-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Cool looking old ammo box and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks in advance!

Pressman
04-19-2019, 05:59 AM
I have soaked them in mineral spirits. It will loosen the sticker and not effect the paste board.
Works equally well for removal labels from plastic boxes for reuse.
Ken

BK7saum
04-19-2019, 09:35 AM
I think I'd leave it. You'll likely have a darker color dye where the sticker was due to box fading anyway. So you'd still have a blemish where the sticker was.

I have used concentrated isopropyl alcohol to remove adhesive stickers. With any solvent' I'd be careful and not rub the box too much. The rubbing action will also remove the dye.

BPSharps
04-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Thanks gentleman!

country gent
04-19-2019, 12:07 PM
I think Id leave it also not because of blemishes but more nostalgia, A lot of price stickers had the shop or stores name on them and the price itself is interesting and helps to date the box

georgerkahn
04-20-2019, 08:46 AM
I have removed "a couple ;)", with mixed -- mostly negative -- results. Goo-gone, a product which works awesomely (imho) takes most off. ***BUT***, invariably the colour underneath the label is quite different upon removal, as that area was covered from sun and other light bleaching effects. And, on others, the &^%^-sticker takes the top layer of label in places, too. My recommendation is to consider the price sticker an integral part of the ammo box's history. As a matter of fact, I have a .30-30 Remington box which sports a $5.60 price label for this virgin box of factory 20 rounds, which I'd never even think of removing!
geo 240131

John Boy
04-23-2019, 09:41 PM
What is the best way to remove price stickers from an old cartridge box?
Your wife's or girl friend's hair dryer.
I keep a hair dryer in the reloading room to peel off labels from any box - shipping envelopes for reuse and plastic Rx containers to store ... 'whatever'

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Leave it you'll look back and go geez ammo only cost this much back then

elk hunter
05-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Back when I was actively collecting I would occasionally find a box with the price written in pencil, one that comes to mind was a two piece box of 30-30 by Winchester , the kind with the pull string, it was marked $1.60. I paid a bit more than that for it.

shootrj2003
06-21-2020, 07:00 PM
Pull string...?

elk hunter
06-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Pull string...?

The two piece boxes had a string that you pulled that cut the tape seal that held the two pieces of the box closed. I sold off all my collection a few years ago so I can't post a picture.