PDA

View Full Version : propane fryer regulator

turtlezx
04-18-2019, 07:37 PM
have a turkey fryer with a 10 lbs reg adjustable turned down the flow years ago and now it wont crank back up to full flow

is there a way to getting it working again?

Winger Ed.
04-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Before I threw it away--
The brass parts in there might have gotten tarnished and 'stuck'

I'd try taking it apart, cleaning the needle valve and seat, then put it back together.

There can't be more than about 3-4 parts and maybe a spring in there that make it work..

Pigboat
04-18-2019, 07:47 PM
They changed the valves on the portable tanks a few years ago and added a feature that limits the flow if opened too fast. Disconnect the line from your fryer so it will vent out any remaining gas and reconnect. Open the valve on the tank just a crack and then slowly open the reg. on the fryer and light. Then slowly open the tank valve the rest of the way and adjust the flame using the reg. on the fryer.

Idz
04-18-2019, 08:47 PM
The flow trip is in the regulator. The hf weed burner has no regulator so lacks the nanny state 'safety' features and works great!

kevin c
04-19-2019, 01:55 AM
As far as the safety feature goes, what's worked for me is to close both valves (regulator on the tank and valve on the burner), open and then close just the valve on the burner, then open the tank to the regulator and then the valve to the burner. I guess that resets the mechanism?

I hadn't realized that there's a difference in flow regulation, but now I understand why my HF weed burner seems to outdo my Bayou double jet burner with what seems to be ten times the BTUs.

Rich/WIS
04-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Your local hardware store should have replacements if you can't fix it.. Had to replace mine a few years ago.

BK7saum
04-19-2019, 12:31 PM
The flow trip is in the regulator. The hf weed burner has no regulator so lacks the nanny state 'safety' features and works great!

The regulator may have a flow trip as well, but I know the tank does. I run my melting pot without a regulator and if you open it up quickly, it shuts the flow off. A10lb regulator doesn't net a whole lot of reduction anyway. Regulator quit on me, so I deleted it from the flow line.

barnabus
04-21-2019, 05:43 PM
is a regulator a must? I have a double burner bench style cooker and it wont run two at a time for nothing

turtlezx
04-23-2019, 08:17 PM
gotta new propane tank and the fryer is back to running like a jet engine
the regulator in the tank wouldnt open up on the old tank