PDA

View Full Version : 50 bmg sub sonic

M.A.D
04-17-2019, 07:35 AM
I have a 50 BMG with a fast twist barrel and a CBE 975 grain mold.... Has anyone done loads with Trailboss for subsonics?
An load data highly appreciated...

Cast_outlaw
04-17-2019, 08:58 AM
I don’t know really enough about it, but due to the case volume this could be a sketchy coarse of action with a cartridge of that size. Could lead to uneven ignition, and burn, resulting in unexpected pressure spikes. Although this is pure speculation on my part, so take it as you will.

Cast_outlaw
04-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Quite surprised that no one else has made a comment in this thread was hoping to see some good relevant reviews

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 07:55 PM
I have no books that even list the big 50. Most that do own one would probably be after the sheer power I know of one guy here who uses one to shoot game with here from mountain to mountain usually makes someone else go fetch it for him from up to 1.5 miles away. And that's why I don't go hunting with anyone else

Winger Ed.
04-23-2019, 08:12 PM
Quite surprised that no one else has made a comment in this thread was hoping to see some good relevant reviews

Not too many folks reload for .50BMG much less sub-sonic.
I used to re-load for it, but have since sold the rifles & gear, and gotten away from them.

I figure most guys that reload for them do what I did:
Buy surplus pull down brass, powder, and ball FMJ boolits or AMAXs.
Then load up accurized/full house loads from there.

I'm sure the info is out there, and the new Hornady book has loads for their AMAX.

Somebody also used to offer a 750gr. SP mold to cast for them.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 08:40 PM
I believe the last time I checked they were 7+ $ a round to rich for me I don't think my Lyman would even load a cartridge with that coal

Outpost75
04-23-2019, 08:48 PM
We used to download APIT M20 to approximate the M48 spotting rifle round used on the ONTOS, using 110 grains of IMR4895 and poking a cotton ball into the case to take up the airspace. We were manually feeding an M2 with 10X Unertl on it. Shot pretty well out to about 2000 yards.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 08:52 PM
I know people do it but I've heard of bad things happening when people use filler in bottle neck cases. I use cow in straight wall cases only your mileage may vary

Winger Ed.
04-24-2019, 12:15 AM
I believe the last time I checked they were 7+ $ a round to rich for me I don't think my Lyman would even load a cartridge with that coal

15-20 years ago, you could get surplus from Europe that was $1.20, or reloads with a AMAX for $5.00.
New GI brass was 50 cents or so, pull down powder was $6-8 a lb. primers were $380 for 2,500-
last time I looked, they were $400 per 1,000. and brass was about $1. each.
RCBS offered their progressive press set up as a single stage & dies that the price didn't look like you were buying a car.
Now days, the cost of primers, loaded ammo, and other components have gone to the moon.

However:
There is a 'cool' factor that makes it worthwhile.
Loading 215 gr. of powder for a 750 gr. steel core bullet the comes out at 2600-ish fps from a 40-50 pound target rifle,
and saving up neat things to fire one at- like engine blocks, running lawn mowers, etc.

Then to hear it sing it's song----
,,,,,,,,,It's like mailing in your first house payment,,,,, it makes you feel real Republican.