PDA

View Full Version : Bens Red on Maxi Ball?

Dieter
04-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Evening,
I’m in the process of making some Bens Red, more for .44 and such. I have recovered some .54 Cal TC Maxi Balls. Will Bens Red work for that application also (BP)? I’ve read a few posts and Ben doesn’t make any claims for BP usage. Or should I stick to something more along the lines of beeswax/olive oil or borebutter/beeswax? This will be a hunting application. I’m sorry if this has been asked previously. Thanks in advance.

Tom W.
04-14-2019, 08:23 PM
When I hunted with my muzzleloader I used commercial stuff for lube, like SpitPatch or bore butter but mostly Crisco mixed with beeswax.

Dieter
04-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Awesome thank you! I’ve read, well, a portion of all the BP lube variations. There is a ton! Was just curious if Bens would work since I’m already making some. I do have three tubes of Bore Butter on hand and quite a bit of beeswax. Thanks again for the guidance.

centershot
04-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Generally, petroleum-based lubes are a "no-no" for BP applications. When mixed with BP residue petroleum products produce very undesirable fouling. Beeswax/olive oil is a MUCH better choice!

triggerhappy243
04-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Lube on a maxi-ball application must remain soft enough to keep the powder fouling soft enough to patch out. The lube must also be soft enough to flow once the bullet starts moving.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 11:46 PM
+2 on the beeswax crisco

country gent
04-26-2019, 07:01 PM
The maxi ball maxi hunter were designed to carry enough lube ( and then some) to keep fouling soft and load easy. A simple luber can be made from tubing and a pump fill the maxis with Crisco beeswax olive oil mix, SPG, or other BP lube lube and insert in a tube or loading block to protect.

Elkins45
05-03-2019, 03:20 PM
A complex petroleum based lube like Ben’s Red would make some awful gummy fouling with BP.

triggerhappy243
05-03-2019, 03:35 PM
A complex petroleum based lube like Ben’s Red would make some awful gummy fouling with BP.

oh yes, you would need diesel fuel for a powder solvent.