PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Pin Too Short

Lostinidaho
04-13-2019, 06:46 PM
I have an Evans Carbine New Model, that came to me as a box of parts. Mismatched serial numbers, but it looks to all be there.

The pin which the breech block pivots on appears to be modern made. But it is about .20 inches short. Talking to other Evans owners its at least .15 short Would it be possible to silver solder a .20 piece at the end of the pin?

Thanks in Advance

elk hunter
04-14-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm not familiar with the Evans but I suspect it might be easier to make a new pin.

pietro
04-14-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm not familiar with the Evans but I suspect it might be easier to make a new pin.

Yep - Just find a drill bit of the same diameter as the pin, then grind the (hardened) shank to the desired length.

(I buy inexpensive new/sacrificial drill bits for just this use)

Gtek
04-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Yep, that's the ticket. Mic your pin and go look at numbered, lettered, and fractional bit charts and here you will find your joy!

LAGS
04-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Making Pins is why I always save all my old Dull or any broken drill bits.
I am constantly making pins out of the shanks.
I have a plastic organizer full of them sorted by size in 1/8 inch increments so I don't have to sift thru a whole bunch of bits when I need to make a Pin.
A drill motor and a file can turn them down just a tiny bit if needed, or round off or bevel the ends if you want.