PDA

View Full Version : So what trade used this tool box?

RogerDat
04-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Kennedy Kit box. Brown. Measures 24" long by 6 inch high and 6 inches deep. Long and pretty skinny. Has two trays inside that stack inside and can be lifted out that are divided as for holding parts or maybe tooling. One corner of the bottom has two square divisions of approx. 2 inch by 2 inch in it. So inside bottom of tool box is sort of L shaped with these two taller cubicles in it.

I can't figure out what went in the box or what trade used it. Can't find one like it online either. Looks almost like it could be a tackle box or something. Not much room for hand tools certainly. I'll try to get a good picture of it but thought someone might recognize it from a description since it is such an odd Kennedy box. One trade I thought of was the one that used planes to make trim molding back in the day. Room for planes in bottom, blades maybe in the divide trays but no idea really.

I found a bottle of duplicolor paint to match a 41 Dodge in it along with assorted homeowner fasteners. Parts and pieces of a typical do-it-yourself homeowner. An old battery that was flat and about the size of a double sized cigarette pack with snap fasteners of +/- leads. Like a modern 9 volt but on opposite corners. I was playing with electronics in the 60's and I don't recall that size and configuration of battery but I was a kid so.... could have been more common than my limited awareness encompassed.

starnbar
04-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Radio repair box

Froogal
04-12-2019, 05:01 PM
When I worked in the tool room at a factory, the Kennedy brand was the first choice for the machinists.

jonp
04-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Hi quality stuff. I would guess machinist of some type.

country gent
04-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Kennedy boxes have been popular for a long time. I had 2 roll arounds at work, One also had a base and top on it. They didn't get moved a lot though. THe other was a floor box when I was out on the floor doing repairs. My bench boxes in the tool room were Walnut Gerstners. Base and Journeyman's model. The gerstners were still very popular in the toolrooms where I worked. A lot were passed down from family member to family member. I bought mine around 1983 or 4.
Kennedy made a lot of specialty boxes for different trades.

RogerDat
04-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Radio repair box The battery mentions "for miniature radios or hearing aids" it is a type B and 67 and a 1/2 volts and much bigger than a pack of cards. More like two packs of large print easy to read cards.

I can see tubes in boxes fitting in one of those sets of trays. Seems like a good candidate. Using radio and TV repair to narrow down search results I found a couple that were somewhat like this one. I understated the size of the bottom two compartments by a bit. Together they are almost 1/2 the length of a 24 inch box. Coming close to the middle of the long measurement.

Here is a picture with the trays out and on the floor in front of it.

I do have a couple of Kennedy machinist tool boxes. Just used for wrenches and sockets these days. I did have some machinist tools but it has been over 25 years since I worked in a tool room or a machine shop. Passed those on to others a long time ago.

popper
04-12-2019, 06:49 PM
TV repair tool box. Tubes (in boxes) go in the trays. Usually a couple small wrenches, screw divers and tubes. Not much they could do on site with the TV but watch for unusual glow and easter egg replacing tubes. Oh, insulated knife to test the high voltage. Usually had a mirror too so they could adjust picture from back.

country gent
04-12-2019, 06:53 PM
From the Kennedy Placard in the top I would guess it from mid 50s to 60s.

RogerDat
04-12-2019, 11:19 PM
I have had it for a good long time but was trying to organize my tools and tool boxes and decided to straighten this one out. Get the cruft out and figure out what tools of mine made sense to put in there and the longer I looked the less it looked like anything intended for my sort of tools.

Cool to finally know the real use and get an idea of age, thanks all.

I know a fan of ham and shortwave radio, may see if he would be interested in it. Or it might work for my cleaning stuff, or powder and shot bushings. Thing about being for a specific trade is it doesn't fit other general uses as well as a generic box. Not a lot of call for tubes in radio and TV repair anymore.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2019, 07:39 AM
don't know if the intended use but my neighbor has a box almost identical to that one and it sits by his lathe with different cutters, chucks, ect.

RED BEAR
04-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Doesn't look like anything a machinist would use. I would have to agree with radio or tv repair.

Hardcast416taylor
04-14-2019, 11:29 AM
It sure isn`t a Plumbers tool box. Not big or long enough for the tools I used in my trade. I`d guess those compartments could be for small screws or other small parts for repairing radio units for robot equipment.Robert