PDA

View Full Version : I went and looked at equipment today

country gent
04-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Good Afternoon Gentleman,
A friend and I went today to look at some equipment.

A nice 13 X 40" lathe with a lever collet closer 2 3 jaw chucks four jaw chuck several face plates a complete set 5C collets in 64s plus some metrics square and octagon along with blanks. Gear head quick change gear box. Several Albright drill chucks die stocks taper attachment. 3 hp single phase. A good solid machine dial reads 1-2 ( .001 on dial is .002 on part) not a big deal. No coolant.

A good Bridgeport mill Series 1 2hp head ( step pulleys not the variable speed) Alnilam digital readout, power feed on X axis. No scars in table or ways. Kurt 8" vise dividing heads index heads with tail stocks, full set of R8 collets. Couple boring heads, One shot oiler. Other various tooling and cutters. Again a good solid machine.

An older surface grinder no power on table x or y 6X18 B&S fine line magnetic chuck. A lot of wheels ( 20-30 all used but still good stored on edge not flat) most on mounts for the machine. All dials in .0001 graduations, 1 1/2 HP spindle 8" wheels. It does need a guard made for the wheel. no coolant. Machine has the old drip oilers. Wheel dresser both diamond and rollers.
This is a old friends shop He is in a nursing home now and Daughter and Son in laws are cleaning up and moving things. I may be able to get some stock thrown in and shelving cabnients also

Made an offer of $5000.00 for above equipment and tooling today. Now waiting to see what He says' The way the mill and lathe were setting we couldn't get to the ID Tags to see wen built and other info. He also has a nice Nardini lathe 16X40 readout X and Y and a digital set up on tail stock spindle. THis machine is a 5hp 3 phase machine, I suspect the tank had black oil in it

Greg S
04-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Nice, i'll be by with my projects shortly. Best of luck on your offer.

rancher1913
04-11-2019, 08:50 PM
found out the machinist at work is in our gun club, been trading some machine work for pc boolits, not the same as having your own lathe but a close second.

country gent
04-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Greg S. Be a long trip but well work something out LOL.

Rancher after years in the tool room and making modifying what I needed I miss that ability. I was the guy at work that every body came to LOL.

David2011
04-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a nice set of machines. That set of accessories with the lathe are all I would want. Does it have a quick change toolpost? The one shot oiler on the mill is a nice touch. As cheap as variable frequency drives have become that might be an option for the mill. Good luck!

country gent
04-11-2019, 10:47 PM
Forgot the lathe has a lantern post with 3 turning holders and 3 cutoff blade holders also an Aloris quick change with 6 holders. One of the holders has a knurling tool on the back side
Not sure how cheap variable frequency drive would be in the 2 HP range. Or to mount to the bridge port head. I would be more likely to trade in head on a series J2 variable speed or even a single phase motor.

RED BEAR
04-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Hope you get them. Wanted a shop in my garage since retired some day.

Wis Tom
04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Hope you get them. I have a milling table that runs Mach3, an old South Bend lathe, drill press, etc., slowly collecting for retirement to learn how to use. I am in the process of building a foundry for making my stock, and casings.

country gent
04-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Im looking for a good saw ( would like a doall rolling saw). Dake is making a version I am looking at. A arbor press. Shaper and a propane fired forge/oven. But I wouldn't pass up a smaller horizontal mill either. Also a tig welder and maybe a mig welder ( for heavier work) the tig welder will save having to buy a blade welder with the bandsaw. Not as handy as the saw mounted but it works. May also add a small jib crane to reach over lathe and mill to aid changing chucks vises rests and fixtures. Here with this sized equipment a 1/2 ton ( 1000lbs ) would be more than enough.
Wis Tom I'm the opposite I spent 35 years running this equipment is several shops and miss it now. It was so easy to take what I needed to make modify into work and do it. When I medically retired that went away.

Echo
04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Thought seriously about getting a lathe - we had a 10" Logan quick-change in our garage when I was growing up, and I worked in another machine shop in HS. But it didn't happen... dang...