PDA

View Full Version : scuba weights that go clang

runnin lead
10-20-2008, 02:20 AM
I have some weights that go clang, lead dont go clang , I think the guy I bought them from long time ago cast them from babbit. After checking different babbit alloys I think it is probably about 89% tin7.5% antimony3.95%copper & .15% monel
Any ideas on using this to alloy for bullet casting alloys.I was disapointed when I discovered it was not lead but with that kind of tin content may be a whole lot better to have then lead ,I have about 20# of it

Jim

Pepe Ray
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Out of all the various Babbit alloys used, I can't imagine how you determined that specific combination.
But to answer your question, Yes, Babbit can be very useful. I salvaged several hundred lbs. of an alloy very similar to that one, from the mill closing where I worked. If you'd ever watched that stuff being pored you;d realize that it would make beautiful boolets by itself. But they'd be "hardern a ho's hart", as the feller said.
You certainly wont need any lino type 'till that's gone.
Personally I'm leaning toward more soft boolets now so my stash will last me 'till I'm called home.
Pepe Ray

Echo
10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
If I had that alloy I would throw a pound in with 25 pounds of WW and have a great alloy.

runnin lead
10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
How did I come up with this out of all babbit alloys?
The guy that I got the weights from was a machinest in a steel mill that I worked at over 20 years ago .The machinest were the ones that pored babbit for babbit bearings ,so I looked up the various babbit alloys & uses & came up wth tin antimony copper monel could be a small variation from a different smelter /supplier
but i think that because of intended use I have it nailed down that was the type of alloy that was listed for use as a bearing material for heavy duty use
Did a little experement one day when they were pouring that interested a lot of people a pipe to simulate a rifle barrel some wood to simulate a stock & some paper for a mould . the paper turned a little brown but it worked . I took a little chunk home & poured me a pewter nosecap on my muzzle loader

felix
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Heavy duty babbit is lead based. Heavy duty means high rotor/load weight, low RPM. Typical power plant stuff. Higher speed stuff is almost always based upon tin as the major constituent. ... felix

runnin lead
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Felix
this if it is what i think it is was used as bearings for gearboxes to drive ( power) rollers for rolling steel , Do you think with this application it would be a high tin or lead tin alloy it clanges when hit together I dont have any way of doing a rockwell test for hardness on it

wiljen
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
It would be interesting to know which monel alloy that is. Monel is generally a very high Nickel content steel used in projects that require extreme corrosion resistance - like oil rigs in the gulf.

BAGTIC
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Lead can go 'clang'. It can even ring like a bell.

Years ago I was cleaning out a lead pot and as an experiment I placed a rectangular cake pan inside another slightly larger pan filled with water. I heated the lead to maximum temperature and poured it into the inner pan. The resultant HTWW slab of metal about 5/8-3/4 inch thick and about 9"x12" dimensions would ring like a bell when struck with a piece of steel (hammer, screwdriver, wrench, etc.)

runnin lead
10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Bagtic
that is lead alloy not lead ,what i thought was lead weight is not lead but a tin or maybe lead tin alloy
wiljen
If this alloy contains monel it would be only 1/15 of 1% after further reducing with lead it would be much less & I am realy curious how they would get it to combine with tin
Its been a long time but seems that the properties of monel or inoconell were good for high heat applications
I had to burn holes in refactorie (firebrick) walls or ceilings of furnaces so thermocouples could be inserted to take temperture readings in different furnace zones
these holes were then lined with monel or inconel pipes to suport the holes & protect the T/C

runnin lead
10-25-2008, 12:47 AM
This gave me an excuse to call one of the guys that I worked with over 20 years
ago ,they said mostly tin no lead so my first hunch of about 89 % tin shoud be very close