PDA

View Full Version : My kid needs a good slap

Ghugly
10-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Just got a call from my son in Arkansas. He was complaining about muzzle loaders. He's just heating up the grill for some steaks from his first buck taken with a muzzle loader, a CVA .50 cal. inline. He said, "Them damned muzzle loaders ain't got no shock."

I asked him what the problem seemed to be and he said that the 250gr sabot had gone through both shoulders, expanded to the size of a quarter and was recovered under the skin on the far side. "Them muzzle loaders ain't got no shock."

I wish he was about a thousand miles closer. He needs a good, swift kick. And I could use one of those steaks.

frontier gander
10-19-2008, 11:03 PM
The bullet put all of its energy into the deer and stopped under the hide. No wasted engery.

When you see him, Would you slap him once for me?LOL

Bigjohn
10-20-2008, 05:30 AM
He didn't need more than one shot did he?

Give him a slap for me as well; then take the deer from him. :twisted:

John.

dromia
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Seeing as how the rifle is no good have him send it to me. :-D

madcaster
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Turn the other cheek son,if this'n is too sore![smilie=1:

Ghugly
10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
He didn't need more than one shot did he?

Give him a slap for me as well; then take the deer from him. :twisted:

John.

One shot, 50 yards, bang-flop. He must have said it 10 times, "Damned muzzle loaders ain't got no shock." For the life of me, I don't understand what the hell he expected that he didn't get. I guess, maybe, he would have been happier if the deer had disappeared, leaving a flaming hole in the ground and a mushroom cloud?

fishhawk
10-20-2008, 11:46 AM
think he might be jerking dads chain? :kidding:

crowbeaner
10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
HMMPH! I'd slap him too. My baby buck went down right there and DIED. I shot him in the top of the head and he just dropped. Your kid is right though; the only shock power mine has is when the game warden looks at a squirrel I beaned at 40 yards with one shot. He was amazed that a .50 could be that accurate. I meat hunt; what did he expect? If I'd shot the treerat in the body there wouldn't even have been any fur left. Have the kid overnight some backstrap and flash fry in good olive oil. That'll fix him.

Ghugly
10-20-2008, 09:55 PM
think he might be jerking dads chain? :kidding:

I know it sounds like it, but I really don't think so. He's been a hunter for a long time and routinely tells me about his latest kill. When he was in Alaska, he sent some moose steaks ................damn, those are fine!

I think he was serious. His usual deer rifle is a 7mm Mag and this was his first outing with a muzzle loader. I'll find out, sooner or later, what he was talking about. From what he said, the rifle and slug behaved about as perfectly as one could ask.