PDA

View Full Version : 38 super starting loads

captn-tin
04-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Finally getn rnd to experimenting with some 158 gr swc cast boolits in my 38 super. Using 4.1 grains of universal for max (lee manual) for 906 fps, I'm cutting that by 10% to start with, then 5%, then maybe 3.5% then 3%. Sound bout right? These boolits were .358 and I sized them to .357. I'm going to "ladder" these loads. Should I start with 3 of the load, 5 or? Planning on sighting in at 25 yds from a rest. Again, sound bout right? Thanks for any help.

cwlongshot
04-11-2019, 05:24 AM
I got my first super just a short time ago too!

Gun came with a excellent Lyman 130TC mold. I cast up some and powder coated them. After a couple weeks I sized and loaded them with just over a starting loads and #7 powder.
Last Sunday was first shots. Then shot MUCH better than the factory 130ball I bought. They where also more recoil. But in no way excessive. Conversly, the factory was stupid light!!! Brass tumbled out of the gun and groups where palm sized at 21’.
My cast sent brass about two feet to My right and slightly behind and where impacting in a single ragged hole quarters and nickles if I applied myself!!

Fun gun, good luck with yours!

CW