PDA

View Full Version : Chargemaster-potential issue?

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, my RCBS Chargemaster sits next to my RCBS vibratory tumbler on the reload bench. While I don't use the Chargemaster for handgun range fodder loads, I use the tumbler very frequently, sometimes for hours at a time (I like clean, shiny and new-looking brass) but it gets me to wondering...am I setting up a potential problem by having this thing vibrating on the bench next to a digital electronic scale? I haven't noticed any issues but can't help but wonder if maybe I need another separate bench for the tumbler. Anyone experience problems or issues with this?

dverna
04-10-2019, 11:30 AM
I am a bit paranoid about stuff like that. I would never put my Chargemaster on the same bench as a tumbler. I have my tumblers on the floor.

Conditor22
04-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Both the vibrating AND the dust aren't going to be good for the Chargemaster. (the dust isn't good for you either)
can you put the vibrator on the floor when in use?

My friends that still use vibrators leave them run in a separate room/building.

OS OK
04-10-2019, 11:46 AM
I keep my metering & measuring tools away from the cleaning area and keep them isolated from the vibrations I create on my load bench too. This shelf is supported by a pole & separate base that passes through this loading table without touching and it will adjust in height and direction to face whichever press I'm running at the moment.

https://i.imgur.com/iMv3dHL.jpg

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Both the vibrating AND the dust aren't going to be good for the Chargemaster. (the dust isn't good for you either)
can you put the vibrator on the floor when in use?

Not without using an additional extension cord. However, a small table or bench next to my reloading bench would give me enough reach for the power cord.

My friends that still use vibrators leave them run in a separate room/building.

What do you use for brass cleaning if not a tumbler?

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 11:52 AM
I keep my metering & measuring tools away from the cleaning area and keep them isolated from the vibrations I create on my load bench too. This shelf is supported by a pole & separate base that passes through this loading table without touching and it will adjust in height and direction to face whichever press I'm running at the moment.

https://i.imgur.com/iMv3dHL.jpg

I like that setup! It's possible I need to re-think my whole bench layout. It's getting rather cluttered these days anyway.
Now that I think about it, I also have my RCBS case thickness gauge and Hornady bullet concentricity gauges close by...and dial indicators are also precision instruments.

44magLeo
04-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Dry tumbling or vibration type brass cleaning is where the highest risk of lead poisoning occurs.
As the brass gets cleaned the residue in the primer pockets from the primers contains lead. This lead get cleaned out of the pockets gets mixed in with the cleaning media. Any dust from the media has lead in it. If you breathe this dust, you get the lead.
It may not be much lead, but it adds up over the years.
If you must dry clean your brass, do it outside. When straining the media from the brass, Do this out side also. You should at least wear a dust mask, better a respirator. Having a fan to blow any dust away from you helps.
Leo

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Dry tumbling or vibration type brass cleaning is where the highest risk of lead poisoning occurs.
As the brass gets cleaned the residue in the primer pockets from the primers contains lead. This lead get cleaned out of the pockets gets mixed in with the cleaning media. Any dust from the media has lead in it. If you breathe this dust, you get the lead.
If you must dry clean your brass, do it outside. When straining the media from the brass, Do this out side also. You should at least wear a dust mask, better a respirator. Having a fan to blow any dust away from you helps.
Leo

I never even considered that risk before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Leo!

OS OK
04-10-2019, 12:10 PM
I am lucky in that my wife has always let me have all the garage space for my gidgets & gadgets but I just don't have the counter space for all the presses. Another thing is the back of the counter usually fills up with everything imaginable...it tends to get out of hand.

One day I decided to try a round bench for the presses and get off the regular bench that holds other tools like the PC oven or vibrator & tumbler or most important...my shop stereo, gotta have them tunes!

At the same time I wanted to separate the dispenser and scales too...it's been this way about 6 years now...been smiling ever since & haven't looked back with regret.

https://i.imgur.com/rGF59yX.jpg

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 01:29 PM
That is pretty ingenious!

Captain*Kirk
04-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Leo

Given the above, would it make more sense to have two separate tumblers; one for dirty, deprimed brass (using, say, a universal decapping die) from the range and a second one for sized and prepped brass? The dirty brass version could be used outdoors or out of the house keeping all the lead dust away from the reloading area. Just a thought...

Conditor22
04-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Charlie, I've seen your bench many times and this is the first time I saw you powder dispenser separated from the table and rotatable for any press. Way cool.

OS OK
04-10-2019, 02:20 PM
You know me Jim...I always save the best part for last. heheee

1Hawkeye
04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Another benefit to having your tumbler on the floor is that its quieter cause you don't have the sound of the bench being vibrated along with the tumbler and its even louder if the bench is attached to the wall.

JeepHammer
04-14-2019, 09:12 AM
I turn the beam up-side-down on my mechanical scale when I'm not using it to keep the knife edge from vibrating in it's cradle, there is no way I would allow a pressure transducer to vibrate endlessly from tumbler vibration.

Like one guy said already, I'm paranoid about that kind of thing,
I don't allow my torque wrenches to sit with pressure on them, I won't allow my standards to rub on anything, the measuring equipment is sacred, along with the standards to test & calibrate that equipment.

JeepHammer
04-14-2019, 09:29 AM
https://i.imgur.com/rGF59yX.jpg

That center post, with its own base, is friggin' Genius!

Along with what's shown with measuring equipment, that's a solution for bullet feeders that sway and jam when the press is operated, it's also portable/movable for lights when the bench gets moved!

Consider your copyright infringed, I know a good idea when I steal it! ;)

PowPow
04-14-2019, 10:26 AM
I love the rotating stand. Great idea! How heavy (and stable) is that table? Do you get much movement?

lightman
04-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Thats a neat set up, OS!

I would be uncomfortable with my scale close to a polisher. I'll 2nd the suggestion of using the floor. As far as the dust goes, I put a splash of mineral spirits in with the corncob. But my Dillons don't let dust out when covered.

OS OK
04-14-2019, 06:37 PM
I love the rotating stand. Great idea! How heavy (and stable) is that table? Do you get much movement?

I would guess the table at about 60 pounds but theres 100 pounds of lead sitting underneath on two crossbraces...the table doesn't budge or rock. It sits on 3 legs like a tripod and each loading press sits above a leg, you'd have to tip all that weight. The upside down sizer sits between legs but that 100 pounds of lead is across from it on the far side underneath but that press doesn't take much leverage for sizing my casts.

Captain*Kirk
04-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Well, the opinions expressed in this thread have been convincing enough that I have decide to get the tumbler off the bench. Not sure where yet, but it's going...

PowPow
04-16-2019, 04:53 PM
My tumblers (dry and wet) always go on the garage floor.

DonMountain
04-16-2019, 06:29 PM
My tumblers (dry and wet) always go on the garage floor.

I'm with PowPow on this one. My tumbler is much quieter anyway sitting on the concrete floor in the garage when it runs. So I usually fill it up in the reloading room and when I am ready to run the tumbler I take it out to the garage and let it run all night.

PowPow
04-16-2019, 09:14 PM
I try to limit my exposure to the dust that comes out of the tumbler. Whenever I put the cases in, dump them out, and remove the media after tumbling, I do that with an open garage door or even outside if it's a nice day. The dust can be a health risk with continued exposure. No reason to take risks like that when the air is free.

David2011
04-20-2019, 02:34 AM
My polisher has its own cabinet. Nothing fancy, just a stand made from good sized pieces of scrap plywood. It’s in the shop outside of the reloading room. I don’t want to have to listen to it, never mind the vibration and toxic dust.

762 shooter
04-20-2019, 06:36 AM
OS OK where did you get the RCBS bracket for upside down use?

Captain*Kirk
04-21-2019, 10:00 PM
You guys have made me a believer. Tumbler is no longer on the bench.

noylj
04-22-2019, 11:05 PM
vibrators are outside/garage equipment. Reloading tools are indoor equipment.
NO scale likes vibrations--whether from vibrators or press action. I am sure that every scale warns against vibration, bouncing, dropping loads on pan, etc.
Keep them on separate benches. I mounted my CM over the press, convenient height to reach it. Currently, it is on a small table that I move next to whichever press I am using.

04-23-2019, 01:20 AM
My charge master is on a very heavy, 1 foot deep shelf, bolted to a concrete block wall. It doesn't move. It is also in an area not affected by any drafts. Just walking by the thing can shift a measurement. I dry tumble my brass with dryer sheets, but only after washing it in a hot water / dish soap / "Lemi-Shine" bath. I agitate the brass and rinse it several times before letting dry. I'm guessing that will remove some of the lead particles but the above info seems very logical and prudent. Lord knows I don't need any more health issues. I get my blood tested every year at my routine check-up, and it's all good. Will be using a mask from now on, however. Thanks for threads up.

PowPow
04-27-2019, 03:31 PM
The main toxin in dust that you may be exposed to when dry tumbling, as I understand it, is called lead styphnate. It is a byproduct of primer detonation. I first read about that on Cast Boolits, which is such a wonderful wealth of experience and information. This is the primary reason I tumble out in the garage and remove the media from the tumbled cases outdoors.

Wayne Smith
05-01-2019, 10:38 AM
That's why I decap before tumbling - seems like an easy solution. Tumbler is in the garage with the casting stuff, reloading is upstairs. I told LOML when our oldest son moved out "I didn't lose a son, I gained a gun room". She laughed and agreed.

Conditor22
05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Not without using an additional extension cord. However, a small table or bench next to my reloading bench would give me enough reach for the power cord.

What do you use for brass cleaning if not a tumbler?

I built a couple of wet stainless pin brass rotary "wet tumbler" cleaners
https://i.imgur.com/B3KN8xA.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/eBafSuv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RLFUtJn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J9rzhUy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3S1Jl3L.jpg

I de-prime first so I get clean primer pockets also.

NO DUST :) you should see how nasty the water is after cleaning a load of brass.

Conditor22
05-03-2019, 12:42 PM
OS OK where did you get the RCBS bracket for upside down use?

He made it. OS OK likes to wield and putter:)

EDG
05-04-2019, 11:38 AM
I can tell you that having precision measuring equipment inside a building next to a street can transmit traffic vibrations to the machines. I would try to isolate the tumbler somewhere else. If you have foot traffic nearby isolate the Chargemaster too,

Hey guys, my RCBS Chargemaster sits next to my RCBS vibratory tumbler on the reload bench. While I don't use the Chargemaster for handgun range fodder loads, I use the tumbler very frequently, sometimes for hours at a time (I like clean, shiny and new-looking brass) but it gets me to wondering...am I setting up a potential problem by having this thing vibrating on the bench next to a digital electronic scale? I haven't noticed any issues but can't help but wonder if maybe I need another separate bench for the tumbler. Anyone experience problems or issues with this?