PDA

View Full Version : What's in your Garden?

Thundarstick
04-10-2019, 06:54 AM
Garlic, onions, cabbage, brocolli are growing like gang busters. I'm taking a chance with the weather man, and have about 75 tomatoes planned as well! Unfortunately the hard March freeze we got seems to have killed nearly all my plums and peaches in the bud, but the black berries are looking good!

So what ya got?

georgerkahn
04-10-2019, 07:18 AM
239566 If a picture says 1,000 words -- there are not too many positive ones today, as seen in photo I just took through a rear house window. Still snowing out now, too... :( :( :(
On the other hand, I do have a few veggie seed planted in Solo plastic cups, and marigolds in a flat. In my area, one generally cannot plant cold (frost) sensitive plants much before the last week-end in May.
geo

bmortell
04-10-2019, 07:28 AM
just put empty cups in your garden and you can grow snow cones:p

Hickory
04-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Rhubarb is up.
Calling for rain & maybe snow 6 out of the next 10 days.
I'll have to keep an eye on the rhubarb.

farmerjim
04-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Onions, Lettuce, Cabbage, Bok Choy, Sweet corn, Sweet and Hot peppers, Tomatoes, Zinnias, Eggplant.
As soon as the ground is dry enough to till, I will be planting Cucumbers, Zucchini, and yellow squash that are ready to go into the ground.
It is time for me to put my fourth planting of tomatoes into the ground, but again it is too wet.

kbstenberg
04-10-2019, 07:55 AM
George
You aren't the lone man out. We are expecting 12" today and tomorrow.

Geezer in NH
04-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Snow, six inches on top of 2 feet in the last 2 nights.

MrWolf
04-10-2019, 09:59 AM
I have weeds the height of the fencing. One of my projects to do but you there come first. Only moved here two years ago and am limited to how much I can do. Hmm, girlfriend likes a garden....

jimlj
04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
I was going to be the first to say snow, but many before beat me to it. I hope to live somewhere in the future where spring doesn't wait till the middle of June to come.

gwpercle
04-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Weeds....and one Gypsy Pepper plant that came back and has peppers on it....
This is the first time I've ever had a pepper plant come back...most of the time the winter cold does them in !
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Nothing but snow.
Garden photo was taken today, 30 minutes after the snow started.
They are predicting Blizzard like winds and 12" to 20" for my County, before it's over friday afternoon.

jonp
04-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Potatoes and beets are up. Romaine and broccholi are doing fine. Waiting till they spray the tobacco field next door before anything else. Going out to mow the lawn

Smoke4320
04-10-2019, 04:55 PM
deer and stink bugs

abunaitoo
04-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Sorry to say, but weeds, a wheeler, a moped.
Used to have tomatos, wing beans, lettuce.
Getting old.

bob208
04-10-2019, 06:22 PM
weeds big ones. have not planted in 2 years. going to this year if we can stay out of the hospital.

quilbilly
04-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Onion sets and Ozette potatoes are in and up. Our first seedings of lettuce, spinaches, and radishes at poking their noses up. Our Asian pears and peaches are blooming so I am hoping for something to pollenate them since our mason bees aren't quite ready to work yet.

chuckbuster
04-10-2019, 06:32 PM
I’m in the Weed Farming business

trapper9260
04-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Had dig up some winter onions monday.

Wis Tom
04-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Another vote for snow here. Hope that it's gone by May 12, as that is the time we put out our indoor sets.

ascast
04-10-2019, 07:35 PM
are you nutz? still snow

bob208
04-10-2019, 08:01 PM
the last three days have been shirtsleeve weather.

MaryB
04-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Snow...

but 3 days ago my strawberries were coming up. An alpine variety so I don't think the cold will hurt them much. Tiny berries but a small handful has more flavor than an entire pint of those tasteless store berries.

Thundarstick
04-10-2019, 10:06 PM
I’m in the Weed Farming business

Some fellas where in the same business next to my Dad's place several years ago. They spent several growing seasons in the state pen for their gardening skills as well!:smile:

Big Tom
04-10-2019, 10:32 PM
I got some peppers, Thai basil, cauliflower, chives, zucchini and the wife got a few tomatoe plants ready to go into the raised flower bed (as soon as I put that together and filled with usable soil...)

bob208
04-11-2019, 07:31 AM
when I get the weeds cut down and start tilling I will get a nice crop of rocks.

centershot
04-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Deer. :groner:

farmerjim
04-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Deer. :groner:

I have to put electric fence string on every row and both sides to keep the deer off my plants (except for eggplant and onions). They even eat jalapeno peepers. I bought an extra 150 of the plastic temp electric fence posts for this years crops. I can surround a 300 foot row with the string in about 30 minutes and hook to the main line that goes down the side of the field. The deer get worse every year.

jdfoxinc
04-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Weeds

Mica_Hiebert
04-11-2019, 10:29 AM
About 3 inches of standing water

Iowa Fox
04-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Rhubarb is up.
Calling for rain & maybe snow 6 out of the next 10 days.
I'll have to keep an eye on the rhubarb.

Rhubarb is peeking thru but the deer are eating it off. Just like everything here.

gwpercle
04-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Rhubarb is peeking thru but the deer are eating it off. Just like everything here.
Deer are better eating than rhubarb .... set a trap

Hickory
04-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Deer are better eating than rhubarb.

For me, it's a toss up.

Tripplebeards
04-11-2019, 05:18 PM
I just shoveled 4” of solid slush. My rhubarb is about 4/5” tall and is sticking out through the snow we got last night. Leaf buds started to open on a crab apple tree I started from an apple seed so we will see if it buds. My peaches, pears, cherry, and apple tree buds haven’t opened yet but are starting to look like they will. Hopefully the **** weather doesn’t kill off the buds like last year. Only time will tell. I won’t be planting anything till mother’s day as usual or what ever I do will die off or stunt like always. I have 6 different kinds of rhubarb growing right now.

I bought some half gallon bottles of vinegar from the $1 store. I’m going to see if spraying it on my fruit and fruit trees will deter the squirrels from eating them up this year. Vs th BB gun and live trap, its a battle every year that I never win.

I wast debating on trying purple ube Hawaii yams in the garden this year but
Looks like the vines grow 20 plus feet high and that will take up a lot of my gardening space. Probably will stick to the usual. Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, asparagus, and ground cherries...in 5 gal pales. I need something different this year to try like the yam.

Hickory
04-11-2019, 08:35 PM
The Beauregard sweet potato grows great for me.

Chainsaw.
04-11-2019, 11:12 PM
I just have a hobby garden, I’ll have a bigger one some day. But fer now I’ve got two kind of termaters, two kinds of taters, red onions, garlic, lots of herbs, acorn and yellow squash, ancho peppers, lettuce, BIG pumpkins, cukes, and soon Ill have some tomatillos for verde sauce.

We also grow honey crisp, granny smiths and red delicious apples, along with cherries, a type of pear I’m not sure of the variety but everyone loves em, blue berries, blackberries and raspberries. Hoping for a bumper crop of raspberries to make jam with this year.

pcolapaddler
04-12-2019, 12:53 AM
My garden is 4 or 5 pots with peppers - bell, banana and ?, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

farmerjim
04-12-2019, 07:10 AM
My garden is 4 or 5 pots with peppers - bell, banana and ?, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Is that the big landfill near Miami ? When I would visit my friends down there they called it Mt. Trashmore.

762 shooter
04-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Planted my potted tomatoes in the garden last weekend. Blue lake green beans, crook neck squash, okra and cucumbers.

Tomatoes are Mortgage Lifters, Better Boy, Early Girl, Roma, Top Gun, Heat Wave and Cherokee Purple.

Now if I can get my Dukes mayonnaise plants to come up I'll be ready for a mater sandwich.

KCSO
04-12-2019, 10:34 AM
14" of snow and ICE.

MaryB
04-12-2019, 06:11 PM
8" of wet slop... I had 90mph winds and 1" hail at one point yesterday... wild storm!

gwpercle
04-12-2019, 07:34 PM
In the morning I start my search for a couple of heirloom Louisiana Mirliton plants .
I have had bad luck trying to grow them from seeds . Year before last I found a local variety called " Papa Sylvest" that grew and produced well , I hope the nursery has them again this year.
Getting a craving for some good shrimp stuffed mirliton ...that's a creole delight !
Gary

15meter
04-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Hops are sprouting, time to get the twine up to let them climb.

That's enough gardening for me.

MaryB
04-13-2019, 05:53 PM
I have a huge snowdrift over the garden again... grrrr

upr45
04-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Right now snow, and there is a fantastic crop! We have a 90 day growing season here (south UP of Mi) so week before Memorial day planting begins. Ends in mid June with potatoes and carrots for winter. I look at & decide based on the days to harvest in the seed catalog when buying seeds. Have a few things I will never grow due to deer breaking thru the electric fence. Had them breaking in late June due to spaghetti squash last year. Nothing like < an hr from growing to table. Really applies to sweet corn! Got to kill the weeds in the raspberry patch & restart this year. Had a fungus type disease gradually reduce the raspberries to a few handfuls. Usually shed about 10 # gardening and weeding and some more weeding.

Blanket
04-14-2019, 09:12 AM
going to snow today, in the hot house is bitter melon, watermelon and cantaloupe. nothing in the ground yet

daengmei
04-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Weeds and mud...:groner:

Arisaka99
04-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Here in Central VA, we just finished stripping the sod to expand our garden. By our rough measurements, we've ot 1,668 sq.ft. of garden space.. :lol:

We've got 4 trays of seeds started and in under the grow lamp. Sunflowers, peppers, (jalapeno, habanero, reaper, big jim-mild and medium, couple colors of bell, and cayenne), couple types of cukes, some spaghetti squash, fennel, about 8 different types of tomatoes (if you haven't tried Cherokee Purple, you're missing out) carrots and a bunch of greens in our raised beds as well.

Last year, the rain killed us on gardening. All of our tomatoes split and rotted, and a lot of carrots rotted in the ground before we could pick them.

We're hoping this year is better.

Tripplebeards
04-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Snow is almost gone here. A few chunks in peoples yards yet. Think I’m going to soak a few ground cherry seeds and start the germination process.

Gewehr-Guy
04-19-2019, 09:07 PM
I just planted a few potatoes in some cold mud, just because it is Good Friday and you are supposed to have your potatoes in by then. Still a little snow on the garden, but will be gone tomorrow,about the last of the 25 inches that fell during the "bomb cyclone" that hit us last week. We actually had thundersnow and lightning hit our internet reciever and with no internet and TV for a week I was plenty sick of winter, at least we didn't lose electricity like many did.

Ozark mike
04-20-2019, 02:32 AM
Deer probably haven't looked lately had a moose a couple weeks ago dang ungulates

Thin Man
04-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Yesterday I planted 5 gallon pails over the top of my plants to keep them from getting bit by the weather. We are predicting a better than not chance of a flash freeze and snow tonight, so I hope this tactic will keep the plants alive for the warming that is due 2 days after this clod blast.

dale2242
04-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Cut my first asparagus and had it for dinner last night.
Yummy,...dale

MaryB
04-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Started cleaning up the garden. Section I didn't use last year was weed city so raked that out and peeled back the irrigation lines. It is ready to till then put down landscape cloth and lay the lines back down. Going to use that area for cukes, squash, watermelons this year... maybe pumpkins...

Cleaned out the cut in half 55 gallon barrels I use for herbs. My chives are up and about 4" tall so going to pick a few of those for supper tonight! Started working on the tomato section, need to pull 3 fences and put down new landscape cloth there too...

NOT used to working in 80 degree heat! Worked up a good sweat!

Geezer in NH
04-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Still snow covered

Hickory
04-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Started to dry out last week, but rained almost 2.6" Yesterday.
Pretty wet right now. Water lies low here in the swamp.

square butte
04-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Garlic is up - That's about it so far

Thundarstick
04-24-2019, 02:16 PM
I planted two varieties of beans, okra, and squash today.

HodakaGA
04-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Last year was terrible here with too much rain. I planted okra 4 times and still had a pitiful crop. My tomatoes did poorly too. This year I bought some 72 hole seeding starters and planted 2 with okra seeds. Today I transplanted 1 row of 24 plants 2 foot apart. The rest will get an extra week to grow more roots. I haven't planted squash for 2 years and hope I've broken the life cycle on vine borers. Today I set 12 transplants. Forecast is for a decent rain Friday. I hope we get some, my soil is a little dry and am headed out of town for a few days.

I'll have a row of pepper and at least 2 more rows of okra to plant and 20 tomato plants. I can't plant any snap beans or southern peas any more for deer and rabbits...and my garden in in town and fenced in.

MaryB
04-24-2019, 06:13 PM
More garden cleanup today, need to till where 2 rows of tomatoes were and then put down new landscape cloth and replace the fences. Rest of the fences took a beating form snow load this year so I have to straighten them and replace the wood posts... need to find a bunch of used steel T posts...

gwpercle
04-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Better Boy and Whopper Tomatoes . Jalapeno and Gypsy peppers .
Sugar Baby Water melons . Some Giant Sunflowers .... they are so pretty .
When the rain stops I'm going to find one more thing to grow...have one empty spot .
Gary
No farmer but I try

Wis Tom
04-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Nothing yet. Calling for up to 8" of the white stuff, again tomorrow, with lows in the 20's. Buds on my cherry trees, not good.

Geezer in NH
04-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Snow out now waiting for it to dry out. In our climate we try not to plant more than a week before Memorial day anyway.

Gewehr-Guy
04-27-2019, 07:03 AM
Whats in my garden, three rows of carrots,some beets,potatoes, and more SNOW ......

farmerjim
04-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I am starting to harvest some vidalia type onions that I planted from seed last Oct. Also some sugar snap peas on last years cucumber trellis.

Handloader109
04-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Rocks..... dang soiley rocks. Not rocky soil. But I still try. Bout a 100 onion sets, some kale, some turnips and mustard. Just planted some early peas, will get some purple hulls and okra into rocks in a couple weeks, still a bit cool. Some zukes and spaghetti and butternut squash. Few tomatoes, big boy and some golden jubilee (orange yellow with just a few seeds and almost all meat, great tasting)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reverend Al
04-28-2019, 05:26 PM
My wife is out in the garden ... (she's the "green thumb" while I'm the "black thumb" ... I've never had any interest in gardening.)

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-28-2019, 10:44 PM
I have a long story about asparagus...but I won't bore you...I'll cut to the chase.
I want to create a new asparagus patch, last year I ordered 10 plants from a trusted source.
They sent junk, they all looked dead, but I got lucky, ...4 plants survived, but the chutes coming up this week are tiny.
I'd really like to have 10 good plants.
I was garage saleing on Friday and one sale had some plants [hostas, peonies, but no asparagus] ...I asked the fellow if he had any Asparagus roots he could dig up for me?
He suggested Walmart, he claimed to get good looking roots there.
Now I was kind of surprised, I checked their website, and sure enough 2 of the 3 walmarts near me had them in stock.
I stopped by one this morning and bought 2 packages [5 roots each] for $3 each package...and the roots looked real good. I was told these are offered for a short time only.

SO, back to the OP...tomorrow, I will have Asparagus roots in the garden.

trebor44
04-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Rabbits, Quail and squirrels! We are a bunny and quail friendly yard but the squirrels are an 'in dangered' species and begin to stink after a few days! The squirrels always seem to find a place to hide and die if given the option.

BigMagShooter
04-29-2019, 08:15 PM
rabbits and guinnes are in my garden. :(

farmerjim
05-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Yesterday I picked 4 tomatoes out of my garden. My first of the year. This is the latest I have picked my first tomato in about 10 years.

owejia
05-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Set out tomatoes, peppers, planted okra, cucumbers and purple hull peas a couple of days ago.

MaryB
05-04-2019, 05:51 PM
mud and more mud... been to wet to work in it...

Jkrem
05-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Lots of asparagus, romaine, spinach, arugula, broccoli, onions, garlic, and sugar snap peas. Tomatoes are still under grow lights. Just started more lettuce. Lots of buds on the blueberries, still too early for the raspberries and blackberries.

MaryB
05-06-2019, 08:55 PM
mud, more mud, and weeds still... way to wet to till...

scotth
05-06-2019, 09:38 PM
i got our tomatoes out yesterday things are looking up

Driver33
05-07-2019, 08:14 AM
So far I've planted squash , cayenne peppers, yellar an red maters, cucumbers an 1 ghost pepper. Will put some okra in when I get back home

Bulldogger
05-07-2019, 08:51 AM
I have tomato plants coming in the mail, Mortgage Lifter and Black Krim, both grow well enough in my area of Virginia. Started from seed and transplanting this weekend/week are Tiger Squash, Hot Pepper mix, Brandywine Tomato, Pak Choi from saved seed, Onions, various herbs, Pickling Cucumber, Armenian Cucumber, and a few others. Many of the seeds failed to germinate, I'm not sure why. Maybe just the right combination of too much wet and too much heat, as we had a hot spell over 80 for a week last month right after I started the seeds outside.
Still, there will be enough if all the tomato plants produce, and I can trade for other items.
BDGR

Thundarstick
05-07-2019, 10:28 AM
I have been blessed with favorable conditions this year. The broccoli is starting to head, cabbage, onions and garlic are looking great. The tomatoes are coming along nicely, and the beans, okra, squash, and cucumbers are up. It's looking like a good year for some things, all my stone fruit where nipped in the bud by a hard March freeze, but the blackberries are blooming well.

FISH4BUGS
05-08-2019, 06:44 PM
5-8-19 inland NH. Just spread out the chicken poop and compost in the garden.
Egg shells from an egg processor to go in tomorrow.
Ready to roto till this weekend.
Good thing.
Frost warnings for tonight......can you believe it?

MaryB
05-08-2019, 10:11 PM
2+ inches of rain so mud... 32.7 degrees right now too so might freeze...

WRideout
05-10-2019, 08:02 AM
My five year-old granddaughter and I pulled weeds out of the postage-stamp garden yesterday. In this part of PA, conventional wisdom is to not plant until Memorial Day, but I'm thinking Global Warming may take care of early frost danger. Plan to put in tomatoes, bush beans, Swiss chard, Anaheim peppers, and lettuce.

Does anyone know if okra will grow this far north? I love Cajun/Creole food, and okra is essential for that.

Wayne

Tripplebeards
05-10-2019, 10:28 AM
I picked some asparagus yesterday for the second time and finally planted half of my garden now that the temps are in the high 40s at night. Yellow Sun sugar and red 100’s Cherry tomatoes, beefsteak,big boy,and better boy tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and peach mango squash. I started some celery from soaking the heads in water and I’ll plant those to. A couple of my fruit trees are just starting to blossom but not open. I normally plant red, orange, and yellow bell peppers but I never get any peppers off of them until the end of September when it gets cold they finally ripen. Seems like a lot of work and energy for not a lot of produce with peppers so I think I might pass on them this year. With Limited garden space i’d like to get a lot of produce per space in at $2.50 a pepper plant and I end up buying six as usual it’s cheaper to go by peppers in the store. The store-bought ones of course never taste as good.

I wanted to try purple Hawaiian Ube yams since I had their traditional purple bread over there a couple of times which days it is made with them but it seems the only way I can get them is off of eBay for about 25 bucks for 10. I don’t have room for 10 so I’ll probably pass on them this year and it’s getting too late already I think for the amount of time they need and I have a feeling I don’t have enough warm weather or long enough going to get them to work anyways.

Forgot, I planted ground cherries in 2, 5 gallon buckets as well.

MaryB
05-10-2019, 07:22 PM
I grew okra one year for a friend, in Minnesota... forget the variety but it produced well. Plants were started mid April indoors then moved outside end of May.

WRideout
05-16-2019, 09:40 AM
I grew okra one year for a friend, in Minnesota... forget the variety but it produced well. Plants were started mid April indoors then moved outside end of May.

Thanks, Mary. I will get some in the ground in the next few days.
Wayne

Arisaka99
05-17-2019, 08:39 AM
I have tomato plants coming in the mail, Mortgage Lifter and Black Krim, both grow well enough in my area of Virginia. Started from seed and transplanting this weekend/week are Tiger Squash, Hot Pepper mix, Brandywine Tomato, Pak Choi from saved seed, Onions, various herbs, Pickling Cucumber, Armenian Cucumber, and a few others. Many of the seeds failed to germinate, I'm not sure why. Maybe just the right combination of too much wet and too much heat, as we had a hot spell over 80 for a week last month right after I started the seeds outside.
Still, there will be enough if all the tomato plants produce, and I can trade for other items.
BDGR

We love Mortgage Lifter's and Purple Cherokee's. My wife will fight someone for the last Cherokee tomato. :lol: They're great sandwich tomatoes!

MaryB
05-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Beefsteak, Purple Russian, Roma, Atomic Grape this year...

https://www.rareseeds.com/assets/1/14/DimRegular/ENHANCED-IMAGE-BW-NO-blur-vignette-Tomato-Atomic-Grape-Esparto-MA-DSC08620.jpg

Thundarstick
07-18-2019, 08:49 AM
No post in a while, so here goes. Green beans are still going strong, melons aren't too far from ripening. Tomatoes out the ears, canning salsa and rotel, okra by the buckets as well as squash. The black berries are mostly over, seedless jam, canned whole, and pie filling stocked up on.

Has your garden been boom or bust?

farmerjim
07-18-2019, 09:41 AM
I still have Sweet Corn, Cucumbers, Squash, Peppers, and Eggplant, but the Tomatoes are all all gone.
I also grow and sell flowers.

Reverend Al
07-18-2019, 02:17 PM
We have a bumper crop of raspberries this year. Several years ago my wife planted a few canes along our back fence and they have grown like crazy. She spreads them out on a flat pan to freeze and then bags them up for future use. We have bags and bags of them stashed in the freezer so far and she is still picking more of them every day. Nearly every night after dinner we've been having raspberries drizzled with cream or yoghurt for dessert. (And of course this is all her doing since she's the green thumb ... I'm a "black thumb"!)

https://i.imgur.com/EDS3yxk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1WfZXyW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8Ky04Dk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u1gBEAg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uCeRzwf.jpg

robg
07-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Apples pears blueberries black currants rhubarb tomatoes and beans ,some herbs .I do the the digging where my wife tells me ,cut the grass and trim the hedge.its only a small garden thankfully.

trapper9260
07-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Been picking some raspberries and the first crop is just about done and the 2nd crop is going to be coming along and some zucs and summer my brother been pick and lettuce Had some wild raspberries came in early .See what will be next.

Shawlerbrook
07-18-2019, 02:59 PM
So far summer squash, kale, lettuce, Swiss Chard. Hopefully next week cucumbers and soon tomatoes. In August will pick wild blackberries.

Tripplebeards
07-22-2019, 12:02 AM
We have a bumper crop of raspberries this year. Several years ago my wife planted a few canes along our back fence and they have grown like crazy. She spreads them out on a flat pan to freeze and then bags them up for future use. We have bags and bags of them stashed in the freezer so far and she is still picking more of them every day. Nearly every night after dinner we've been having raspberries drizzled with cream or yoghurt for dessert. (And of course this is all her doing since she's the green thumb ... I'm a "black thumb"!)

https://i.imgur.com/EDS3yxk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1WfZXyW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8Ky04Dk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u1gBEAg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uCeRzwf.jpg

I need to lean how to freeze them properly. I always wash mine and they look like one big frozen glob squished together...red, black, and gold. I’ve picked about 2 gallons so far and left a few for the birds and bees.

snowwolfe
07-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Started planting fruit trees 3 years ago. We just picked peaches and Asian pears. One apple tree has one apple, lol. It looks perfect and will pick it later this week. First year for our persimmon trees and one has one, the other has two. Hope we get to eat them before the deer find them. Our paw paw trees are very slow growing so when fall comes going to use the backhoe to dig a bigger hole and fill it with good dirt and fertilizer and replant them, then the growth should take off.

Reverend Al
07-22-2019, 11:30 AM
I need to lean how to freeze them properly. I always wash mine and they look like one big frozen glob squished together...red, black, and gold. I’ve picked about 2 gallons so far and left a few for the birds and bees.

My wife spreads them out on a sheet pan as picked (she doesn't wash them), freezes them, then transfers them into zip lock bags. Works great so far and they stay intact even after you thaw them for use ...

woody1
07-22-2019, 12:44 PM
I picked two raspberries today! First ones of the year but they should come on like gangbusters in the next week or so if the hot weather doesn't do 'em in. Raspberries are the one consistent fruit producer we have in our area. Late frost (June) and/or early (August/early Sept.) frost are pretty common here.

Hossfly
07-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Picked 20 # cucumbers this morning, made sweet pics last week lime type, giving these away will do more sweet ones then done. So far this season haven’t had to water anything, plenty rain times like this wish I’d planted more. Now it’s okra next hot weather crop. Snap beans done and tomatoes almost thru. Squash over.

quilbilly
07-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Our fall crop of lettuce, cabbages, and spinach is coming along nicely. We will have peaches to harvest in a couple weeks and the honeycrisp and gala apples should be ready in six weeks. The Ozette potatoes (a mysterious finger potato brought to the Northwest by the Spaniards in 1750 and grown by coastal Indians ever since) in our garden are almost ready for harvest.

Tripplebeards
07-22-2019, 05:29 PM
My wife spreads them out on a sheet pan as picked (she doesn't wash them), freezes them, then transfers them into zip lock bags. Works great so far and they stay intact even after you thaw them for use ...
That’s what I figured...I gotta stop washing them.

gwpercle
07-23-2019, 01:55 PM
I got Sugar Baby watermelons , first attempt at growing them , 7 to 10 appear to be on the vines .
Okra (green and red) , Tomatoes , Jalapeno and Gypsey peppers and two kinds of weeds .

Grew one Sunflower....just one , but it's 12 feet tall and has a huge yellow flower head.
I didn't know Sunflowers grew that big . We planted more but some kind of stem borer or stem weevil killed every one of them except for two . The winds from Barry blew over another and the stake I had it tied to . This last one was the sole survivor. I'll keep some seed and try next year...them stem borer's/weevil's are the real sunflower killers .
Gary
Satsuma , Meyer Lemon and Grapefruit trees are loaded this year .

Bwana John
07-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Cervus canadensis nelsoni are in my garden.

And they are going to pay for it in November.