PDA

View Full Version : Need to split this forum up...

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 12:00 AM
Most of the threads in this section are about wheelguns.

I appreciate a fine revolver as much as the next guy, but most people who are into self-defense carry a semi-auto of some sort. Every other gun forum I've seen has different forums for wheelguns and semi-autos.

It would be nice to have a dedicated forum for the majority of people today who are researching and buying and shooting semi-autos.

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 12:15 AM
It's ironic that out of the dozen or so pistols I own, only two are wheelguns, but my avatar is of one of them.

Probably because I joined this site when searching for info on casting hardcast boolits for my bear defense gun and the username and avatar were most appropriate. I have since turned my attention to a Glock 29 10mm for primary woods carry due to the increased capacity and lighter weight.

Still love my Bisley in .45 Colt and will never sell it, but it has a rather limited role in my arsenal.

Catshooter
04-10-2019, 02:12 AM
Good point. I have just a few rollers anymore, used be lots. Haven't shot one in years.

Cat

bmortell
04-10-2019, 02:33 AM
its kind of contradicting, the section is labeled wheelguns AND pistols, so saying most of us are interested in autos and most of the posts are on revolvers at the same time don't make sense, there apparently is more people in this population that like revolvers from that data. unless your claiming something more like exclusion where people in general perceive this to be primarily for revolvers so there not posting their auto thread, then that could be a valid claim

Petrol & Powder
04-10-2019, 06:12 AM
It is one of my favorite forums on this site and I just read the title as "Handguns".

trapper9260
04-10-2019, 06:40 AM
For how this part of the forum is works ok to me and I use both semi and wheel guns .Some of the cast boolits I cast, I use in both semi and wheel guns.

Thundarstick
04-10-2019, 06:42 AM
My only semiautomatic pistols are Ruger MK3, the other 20ish are wheel guns. I also carry a revolver as a cc weapon and don't feel under gunned at all, but if I where a LEO or military man I would probably go with the higher capacity of an auto loader though. Splitting the forum, it don't bother me, I just skip the threads about auto loaders.

pettypace
04-10-2019, 07:01 AM
It is one of my favorite forums on this site and I just read the title as "Handguns".

^^^ +1

tazman
04-10-2019, 07:17 AM
I read the title as handguns also. That said, if you want to have different forums for revolvers and auto loaders, go ahead. It matters not to me.
I'll be able to find which thread I need to read and post to in any case.

6bg6ga
04-10-2019, 08:15 AM
I don't see a problem with it the way it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

owejia
04-10-2019, 08:52 AM
I just read what interest me and skip the rest.

Guesser
04-10-2019, 08:57 AM
It can be split as far as I'm concerned. I follow Taurusarmed and Coltforum as closely as I do this one; I'm quite sure I have never looked into any forum labeled for semi autos. I can ignore them here just as well. Have at it!!!!

ioon44
04-10-2019, 08:59 AM
I don't see a problem with the way this set up, I just read what I want to. I just wish they would move the stickies to the bottom.

Froogal
04-10-2019, 09:13 AM
I own both, and regularly shoot both, but I will admit that the revolvers are a LOT more fun.

Outpost75
04-10-2019, 09:29 AM

I appreciate a fine revolver as much as the next guy, but most people who are into self-defense carry a semi-auto of some sort. Every other gun forum I've seen has different forums for wheelguns and semi-autos.

It would be nice to have a dedicated forum for the majority of people today who are researching and buying and shooting semi-autos.

I agree!!!! If I never see another post about Glocks or 1911s I would be delighted.

M1911 variants should have their own forum, Glock knockoffs their own and you can lump the DA and cowboy wheelies together.

Some of we old fuds don't do plastic and won't read about them, so it makes an easier sort.

MrWolf
04-10-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm in the I have a Blackhawk but with my nerve damage have troubles with follow up shots and grip moving. I like hearing the discussions on what others have even though, for me, I am basically only able to shoot the auto's. I keep thinking about a carry revolver but doesn't really make sence in my situation.

Shuz
04-10-2019, 09:56 AM

plus 1!

Larry Gibson
04-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by owejia View Post

^^^^^^^+2 on both

DougGuy
04-10-2019, 10:08 AM
I don't see a problem with it the way it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

+1 <- whaddya mean my message is too short?

johniv
04-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Read what ya want. Ignore the rest.

Harter66
04-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Well a pistol is a pistol ...... Except when it's a BFR in 45-70 or 30-30 or an RXP or a Contender in a super 14 in 30-06' ........ I guess thats why it says "and hand cannons" .

There is so much cross over now , 9mm rifles and revolvers for example but of course there's "always" been a 45 ACP pistol , revolver and rifle .

I think most that have been here any length of time know that we tend to be specific about the platform . Like 357 in an AMT is going to be more like 9mm than for M66 or 92' .

We've petitioned for a separate forum for the AR base for several years to no avail so I don't see getting hand guns split 3 ways either .

Just roll with the cruise and pass .

str8wal
04-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Read what ya want. Ignore the rest.

What he said ^^^

jmort
04-10-2019, 11:37 AM
I think there is a general consensus.
So + whatever to: it does not matter, read what you want, it ain't broke, and fracture it into another sub-forum as who really cares one way or the other.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-10-2019, 12:00 PM
This isn't a very active forum. There has only been 9 active threads in the last 24 hours. Some forums have activity that ranges from 25 to 50 active threads per 24 hours.

What I typically suggest when a member requests a new forum or sub-forum be split or "Spin-off" of an existing forum, is to get those who start threads on the subject, that you'd like split away from the existing forum, to make a title prefix to be descriptive to what you'd want to name the new forum be. In this case, "Semiauto:_______".
Then, when the existing forum becomes cluttered with semiauto titled threads, a forum "spin off" will likely be created.

Peregrine
04-10-2019, 12:19 PM
My experience on most boards is that splitting up a forum is usually to the detriment of both new halves.

Silvercreek Farmer
04-10-2019, 12:20 PM
I prefer it together. More of a chance that I will be exposed to something interesting that I haven't thought of. Only reason to separate it is if there is so much traffic that someone's question gets buried before it has a chance to be properly answered. We aren't there yet.

corbinace
04-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I guess I spend too much time reading Cast Boolits. I just Look at all "unread posts" since last visit and see what interests me. Usually only a hundred or so. That said, post an interesting title, and I read it. I seldom go to a specific forum.

RED BEAR
04-10-2019, 12:36 PM
There is a section for wheelguns pistols and hand cannons.

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 12:53 PM
A lot of good points brought up.

I just noticed that threads that interest me and likely a lot of other younger self-defense enthusiasts get buried in here. I don't have time to open up every thread with an obscure title and see if it has to do with a semi-auto or a revolver.

Perhaps if there was a forum dedicated to semi-auto pistols, then it would get more traffic than the generic one that seems to contain a lot of very specific wheelgun content that doesn't apply.

But I realize that change is eschewed by most here. If my 83yr old dad was on the internet, he would be here, lol. Not in the wheelgun forum, since he dislikes pistols, but one of the 12(!) other forums having to do with cast boolits, or one of the 6(!) different forums on types of rifles.

It just seems odd that the site has six different forums for the different types of rifles, but only one forum for pistols.

Then again, the site does serve a very specific type of firearms enthusiast, like my dad, who has little interest in any pistol other than a 1911, and has decades of knowledge and experience in casting, loading, hunting, and competing with a variety of rifles.

So, it was just a suggestion and I understand if it's rejected.

Dieselhorses
04-10-2019, 01:00 PM
If this forum split up in 2 different directions then why not create the following: Wheelguns ONLY, Pistols ONLY, Non-production SS pistols, Rifles classified as pistols, ETC.. In other words you can dissect it any way you want but you're going to have some user(s) posting questions about wheelguns in the pistol forum and vice versa!

I wanted to see a forum specifically on "BRASS". All about BRASS (annealing, flaring, trimming, crimping, swaging, priming, cleaning, modifying, you name it! Is there one?

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 01:08 PM
If this forum split up in 2 different directions then why not create the following: Wheelguns ONLY, Pistols ONLY, Non-production SS pistols, Rifles classified as pistols, ETC.. In other words you can dissect it any way you want but you're going to have some user(s) posting questions about wheelguns in the pistol forum and vice versa!

I wanted to see a forum specifically on "BRASS". All about BRASS (annealing, flaring, trimming, crimping, swaging, priming, cleaning, modifying, you name it! Is there one?

Then do you think the 6 different forums on rifles should be combined into one? If not, then why not?

corbinace
04-10-2019, 01:10 PM

I just noticed that threads that interest me and likely a lot of other younger self-defense enthusiasts get buried in here. I don't have time to open up every thread with an obscure title and see if it has to do with a semi-auto or a revolver.

Perhaps if there was a forum dedicated to semi-auto pistols, then it would get more traffic than the generic one that seems to contain a lot of very specific wheelgun content that doesn't apply.

But I realize that change is eschewed by most here. If my 83yr old dad was on the internet, he would be here, lol. Not in the wheelgun forum, since he dislikes pistols, but one of the 12(!) other forums having to do with cast boolits, or one of the 6(!) different forums on types of rifles.

It just seems odd that the site has six different forums for the different types of rifles, but only one forum for pistols.

Then again, the site does serve a very specific type of firearms enthusiast, like my dad, who has little interest in any pistol other than a 1911, and has decades of knowledge and experience in casting, loading, hunting, and competing with a variety of rifles.

Just a note of semantics here and not meant to chastise you at all. Just trying to get everyone on the same page.

There are "Pistol", "Revolver" and "Single shot" handguns. Three distinct classifications of handgun. A "Pistol" is any semi-automatic handgun. Many use the term "pistol" to incorrectly identify any handgun. I think I see this usage in your post. This usage confuses those such as myself with pea brains.

At least that is my take on the subject. Happy to be educated if I am wrong.

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 01:14 PM
What I'm suggesting is not an anomaly; it is quite common on other forums...

tazman
04-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Just a note of semantics here and not meant to chastise you at all. Just trying to get everyone on the same page.

There are "Pistol", "Revolver" and "Single shot" handguns. Three distinct classifications of handgun. A "Pistol" is any semi-automatic handgun. Many use the term "pistol" to incorrectly identify any handgun. I think I see this usage in your post. This usage confuses those such as myself with pea brains.

At least that is my take on the subject. Happy to be educated if I am wrong.

Definition of a pistol by ATF-----https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-pistol

Firearms Verification
Gun Control Act Definitions
Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Note: This illustration shows the primary characteristics exhibited in the pistol category. Since pistol configurations differ significantly, various models in this classification may exhibit any of the illustrated components in a revised configuration, but not necessarily all components shown will be incorporated in any given design.

Image of an illustration showing a a semiautomatic pistol, a single shot pistol, a multi-barrel pistol and a barrel assembly.

lefty o
04-10-2019, 01:53 PM
lets get serious, its not like there is so much traffic on this sub forum to require it to be split. as for people wanting to define what a pistol is, keep in mind the term existed long before revolvers came to be.

jmort
04-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Imagine that, 12 sub-forums for cast bullets on the Cast Boolits Forum. An outrage. Old people are the problem. If we had sub-par old-people sub-forums and super-optimum young-people sub-forums there would be no problems. Balkanize the forum by age and streamline the cast bullet aspect into a universal single forum.
:coffeecom

GOPHER SLAYER
04-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Outpost 75 listed my sentiments so well he the saved me the trouble of typing.

lar45
04-10-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm mostly a revolver fan, but I do enjoy some of the threads on semi-autos that I wouldn't see if they were split.

corbinace
04-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Definition of a pistol by ATF-----https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-pistol

Firearms Verification
Gun Control Act Definitions
Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Note: This illustration shows the primary characteristics exhibited in the pistol category. Since pistol configurations differ significantly, various models in this classification may exhibit any of the illustrated components in a revised configuration, but not necessarily all components shown will be incorporated in any given design.

Image of an illustration showing a a semiautomatic pistol, a single shot pistol, a multi-barrel pistol and a barrel assembly.

Thanks for the clarification Tazman. In retrospect, I guess I should have known that given lefty o's reminder.

That means I can call today a success, as I have learned my one thing new for today! Woohoo!!!:guntootsmiley:

gwpercle
04-10-2019, 03:54 PM
I don't have a problem with wheelguns and pistols...it's those pesky Handcannons that need a dedicated forum .

Only joking ...the Handcannons are welcome too.

Don't split them up , I like inclusive forum .
Gary

slughammer
04-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Keep the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons together.

I'd have to say that most of us switch between 2 of these 3 depending on the application.

There is enough carryover between them that the answers are often similar, interchangeable or the main part of the discussion.

JBinMN
04-10-2019, 04:50 PM
I guess I spend too much time reading Cast Boolits. I just Look at all "unread posts" since last visit and see what interests me. Usually only a hundred or so. That said, post an interesting title, and I read it. I seldom go to a specific forum.

Ditto.

tazman
04-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification Tazman. In retrospect, I guess I should have known that given lefty o's reminder.

That means I can call today a success, as I have learned my one thing new for today! Woohoo!!!:guntootsmiley:

Me too. I was mistaken in my definition until I looked it up myself.

charlie b
04-10-2019, 05:23 PM

First, it seems that self defense use is your primary interest.

Second, the misguided belief that self defense carry is the realm of semi-autos.

I have carried revolvers and semi-autos for self defense for a lot of years. Right now I have a 9mm semi mainly cause it is the pistol I like to shoot at the range the most. Cheap ammo, less muzzle flip and lower recoil means it is pleasant and accurate for me. For field carry I will usually carry a .357 mag revolver these days. When I hunted in mountain country I carried a .45 black hawk for self defense, loaded about as heavy as I could. For concealed carry I liked my SP101 in .357 more than most other pistols. I am tempted by the tiny 9mm pistols and sometimes I will carry my little 9x18 semi auto, especially when wearing a tshirt.

Anyone who wants to research self defense pistols would best be served to look at revolvers and semi-autos. When I was researching my last pistol purchase it was not a handicap to search through this forum for info on the different semi-autos.

So, a separate forum for semi-autos? I would rather not. I like both and load for both and have cast for both. I'd rather read about both in the same forum section. It's not like there are a ton of new threads every day.

rking22
04-10-2019, 06:14 PM
I shoot all 3. Revolvers, hull chuckers,and hand rifles. I don't care what the forum title is, I just read what interests me and ignore the posts about plastic stuff...[smilie=l:
Keep it together is my imput, for what its worth.

35remington
04-10-2019, 06:40 PM
So after reading the replies I see some want separate forums because there is too much revolver discussion. And some want separate forums because there is too much autoloader discussion.

Since I like all types, I read what interests me and engage accordingly. Lucky me.

Seems to be working, and I get exposed to more content with less effort. Win-Win.

tazman
04-10-2019, 07:10 PM
So after reading the replies I see some want separate forums because there is too much revolver discussion. And some want separate forums because there is too much autoloader discussion.

Since I like all types, I read what interests me and engage accordingly. Lucky me.

Seems to be working, and I get exposed to more content with less effort. Win-Win.

I agree completely.

kens
04-10-2019, 07:18 PM
I vote leave it alone.
I prefer not to split it up into 'us & them' nor 'this & that' , nor 'revolver & auto'
Leave it the way it is. whether it is revolver or auto, they are all guns, they all interest us, the common interest is the glue that binds us all together, and we need all the support to defend our view from the Dems.

rfd
04-10-2019, 07:31 PM
strictly from a forum ownership perspective, splitting an existing board into two or more boards dilutes the likelihood of users seeing and posting on topics they may have a comment or opinion to share, thus a reduction in post counts.

Idaho45guy
04-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Imagine that, 12 sub-forums for cast bullets on the Cast Boolits Forum. An outrage. Old people are the problem. If we had sub-par old-people sub-forums and super-optimum young-people sub-forums there would be no problems. Balkanize the forum by age and streamline the cast bullet aspect into a universal single forum.
:coffeecom

Well, at least you get easily offended like a millenial snowflake, so you have that going for you to help keep you young, lol. :kidding: