PDA

View Full Version : Random thought shotgun casting thread

bikerbeans
04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Please post whatever you want to about what you have going on with casting for scatter guns.

I'll start, i think i need to cast more 410 slugs because i only have about 500 loaded rounds sitting on the shelf.

BB

Jedman
04-09-2019, 05:19 PM
Please post whatever you want to about what you have going on with casting for scatter guns.

I'll start, i think i need to cast more 410 slugs because i only have about 500 loaded rounds sitting on the shelf.

BB

That will never do !

Jedman

Petander
04-09-2019, 05:22 PM
If you use Lee round ball molds,pay attention to NEVER cut the sprue after it has cooled down too much.

The sprue hole edge is very delicate and will break with force. I open mine by hand, just one mistake is too much.

Got myself a new one today and made 250 balls without messing up. Good,nice balls,a good mold but special.

Hogtamer
04-09-2019, 05:34 PM
When I get finished working the huge Masters golf crowd early next week I've got a bunch of Lyman 525s to load and 100 of Uncle Dino's 20 ga slugs too. And I really need to pay the hog woods a visit before long.

Budzilla 19
04-09-2019, 05:39 PM
I’m almost out of slugs to load!! Going to be interesting because I don’t even OWN a Lyman sabot style slug mold!!! And I can’t remember who I got these from. Well, I’ve always been told the mind is the first thing to go!!!!!! Hahaha! Got factory buckshot to load so I’m good to go.

RED BEAR
04-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Have been having fun with 3 .31 balls and 1 .6 ball looks very destructive on target . Thanks for the tip on lee molds i do use them. I cast #4 , .310 , .350 , .5 and .6 shot and combinations of these. I gust shoot shot guns for fun. Favorite is a crescent double barrel with short barrels from the 1920's its a blast.

Petander
04-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Have been having fun with 3 .31 balls and 1 .6 ball looks very destructive on target . Thanks for the tip on lee molds i do use them. I cast #4 , .310 , .350 , .5 and .6 shot and combinations of these. I gust shoot shot guns for fun. Favorite is a crescent double barrel with short barrels from the 1920's its a blast.

Fun! Exactly,shooting is supposed to be fun.

Is that Crescent a s/s by the way? I'm looking at an older Sauer s/s , I used to have a 12 and now that my 20 RB "Economy load" is sort of happening I'm thinking about a 20 s/s for RB... just for fun. :)

jdfoxinc
04-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Need to cast more buckshot with my M&P molds. Then I need to load hundreds of 12 16 & 20 ga hulls. Gotta prep for the ZA.

6pt-sika
04-09-2019, 07:45 PM
I have a bunch of single double and triple ball loads to try relatively soon . Also I wanna try some more of the Lyman 525 with a solid base in s rifled gun . But my biggest thing is to finally get my hands on the 34” Parker 10 gauge I have coming from Canada . That guns got 40 points vonstriction in the right barrel and 42 points in the left barrel . It’s going to be intresting to see what pattern they throw at 40 yards and quite possibly 60 yards with Bismuth ;)239549239550239551239552239553

longbow
04-09-2019, 08:25 PM
I've been "making" when I should be shooting! I still have full bore Brenneke'ized slugs to try out and some Brenneke'ized wad slugs as well. Also lots of round balls cast.

I was going to load and shoot but after watching the Taofledermaus videos testing Lyman and Moose Minies I decided I had better remake a mould in a copy of the Moose Minie... so I did! I downloaded the photo of their slug then traced it with a CAD program, scaled to 0.685" diameter then bored out a smaller diameter wad slug mould and made nose form and HB plug. Cast up about 40 last night and at least 30 are perfect. They came out slightly oversize but okay and fit Winchester 1 1/4 oz. wads. Cast from ACWW they weight 497grs. and very consistent in weight. The Moose Minies run 535 grs. in pure lead so these seem slightly light but I can shorten the HB pin easily and/or lengthen the body a bit. Nothing wrong with 500 grs. though.

Now, with that long nose I am not sure how I will load. If the powder and wad allow I'll fold crimp. If not I guess I have to make a roll crimper with deep cavity to allow for that 0.375" long nose cone!

If asked I would have said these would not stabilize from smoothbore but the Taofledermaus video shows they do! they also shot very well from rifled choke tube.

So, now I have to get some loading and shooting done and get my rifled choke tube adaptor installed on my single shot. But I'll try the smoothbore first!

By the way, for those 20 ga. shooters... Lyman makes a .58 Minie mould that looks almost identical to the Moose Minie, in fact, I am betting Moose copied and scaled it up to .69 cal. Seems to me .58 Minies fit some 20 ga. wads well? If so that Minie is worth a try and should do real well from rifled gun or rifled choke tube.

Longbow

6pt-sika
04-09-2019, 09:11 PM
What’s a “Moose Mini” ?

Finster101
04-09-2019, 09:19 PM
I would really like to work on some subsonic 20 GA slug and 00 buck loads for the wife. (Well, me too maybe)

GhostHawk
04-09-2019, 09:25 PM
I have 12 ga slugs and #1 buck loaded plus 20 ga punkin balls I really need to test.
Springtime is almost here, time to get it done.

slownsteady22
04-09-2019, 09:36 PM
I need to buy a good round ball or slug mould for my 12 gauge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dsh1106
04-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Time to setup the shotmaker, then modify the setup to run pure lead.

I worked on this last year and came pretty close, just need to find my notes and refine things a bit.

And I've got a 69 caliber minie mould to try out too.

Scott

Markopolo
04-10-2019, 12:03 AM
I LIKE THIS!!! Count me subscribed!!!

Who has time to shoot?? I will be tied up the rest of the week delivering 100,000 baby Alaskan oysters part by truck, boat and plane to a single customer in Juneau. 20 fish boxes that weigh about 68lbs each . first part of the trip is by pickup, then by boat, then by plane for the last part.. but I will take my shotgun loaded with punkin balls and buckshot... bears are out. hopefully a dumm young one will give me some trouble and I will actually get to shoot this week. lol

Markopolo
04-10-2019, 12:10 AM
I have a bunch of single double and triple ball loads to try relatively soon . Also I wanna try some more of the Lyman 525 with a solid base in s rifled gun . But my biggest thing is to finally get my hands on the 34” Parker 10 gauge I have coming from Canada . That guns got 40 points vonstriction in the right barrel and 42 points in the left barrel . It’s going to be intresting to see what pattern they throw at 40 yards and quite possibly 60 yards with Bismuth ;)239549239550239551239552239553

Wow... now that is a beautiful piece of work...

6pt-sika
04-10-2019, 12:20 AM
Wow... now that is a beautiful piece of work...

Thank you sir ! I now have Parker EH 10 gauges with factory original length barrels of 28” , 30” , 32” and 34” ! Well I will when this one arrives ! Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get my hands on one of the factory original EH 26” guns and possibly one of the 24” factory original guns .

Markopolo
04-10-2019, 12:32 AM
I would gladly give one of my rarely used (these days) round balls for any one of those Parker’s!!!

:groner:

pashiner
04-10-2019, 01:17 AM
I have loads to test, and not enough time to shoot. Working on some subsonic loads, and pumpkin ball short shells.

mic
04-10-2019, 06:31 AM
i was going to make shot this weekend but off to the bush to shoot some rabbits and if there not about ill build a fire make some coffee and cook some chicken legs on the coals.

GhostHawk
04-10-2019, 06:54 AM
Cowboy coffee, ohhhhhhhhhh yeah. Made my morning just reminding me of the times I've done that.

6pt-sika
04-10-2019, 08:36 AM
I just added a Lee .562” and .575” double cavity roundball molds in our Midway cart for the next order . Hopefully those two with some combination of steel or lead wads will work for the 16 and 20 gauge .

RED BEAR
04-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Yes the cresant is side by side with factory 23 inch barrels.

6pt-sika
04-10-2019, 09:57 AM
I take it the Moose Minie comes from these folks ? https://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013/wadcutter-hb I’m thinking I can adapt the .695 or .715 to work in the SP-10 wad for my 10 gauge doubles .

6pt-sika
04-10-2019, 11:44 AM
I just got off the phone with the Moose Molds folks , seem like very nice people . I’m waiting on a text or email from them letting me know what second pins would cost so I could have the option of hollow or solid base . I’m thinking the .69 wadcitter minnie in either .695 or .715 might be good for my 10’s sitting inside the SP-10 shotcup . And I need to get a measurement of the NOE/Lyman 525 Sabot Slug and see if they’ve got another close to that size and I can shoot them in the knockoff CB WAA12 . If these suit me I might see about one for the 16 that fits in the CB WAA16 and something along those lines for the 20 . On a side note they make a pretty decent amount of roundball choices .

longbow
04-10-2019, 08:07 PM
6pt:

Yes, that is the Moose Mine, and here are a couple links on testing the Moose Minie (.69 cal. x 535 grs.) and the Lyman .69 Minie (730 grs.) by the Taofledermaus guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUaBDBAhw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9cV2q__Ks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bKg5_iX9A

Pretty impressive if you ask me! Most surprising was that the two Minies stabilized through smoothbore!

I now have a rifled choke tube and re-made one of my moulds to make a smooth sided copy of the Moose Minie.

I am pretty sure the Moose guys just scaled up the Lyman 315 gr. Minie to .69 as they are virtually the same except for diameter. Not that it matters, just making an observation.

Lyman .58 Minie:

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/lyman-2654494-single-cavity-minie-ball-bullet-mold-58-caliber-315-grain-575-diameter.html

I figured I've tried lots of slug designs and so far I like round balls and HB designs because there is nothing else to do and cast slugs like cast boolits are very consistent. While i am a Brenneke fan, making them at home is not so easy and mostly that consistency thing is a problem with attached wads.

Anyway, got my mould re-built and cast Moose copy slugs so now to load up and see how they do from smoothbore. It will be a while before I have the choke tube adaptor mounted on a barrel so I can try the rifled choke tube.

Longbow

6pt-sika
04-10-2019, 09:37 PM
6pt:

Yes, that is the Moose Mine, and here are a couple links on testing the Moose Minie (.69 cal. x 535 grs.) and the Lyman .69 Minie (730 grs.) by the Taofledermaus guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUaBDBAhw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9cV2q__Ks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bKg5_iX9A

Pretty impressive if you ask me! Most surprising was that the two Minies stabilized through smoothbore!

I now have a rifled choke tube and re-made one of my moulds to make a smooth sided copy of the Moose Minie.

I am pretty sure the Moose guys just scaled up the Lyman 315 gr. Minie to .69 as they are virtually the same except for diameter. Not that it matters, just making an observation.

Lyman .58 Minie:

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/lyman-2654494-single-cavity-minie-ball-bullet-mold-58-caliber-315-grain-575-diameter.html

I figured I've tried lots of slug designs and so far I like round balls and HB designs because there is nothing else to do and cast slugs like cast boolits are very consistent. While i am a Brenneke fan, making them at home is not so easy and mostly that consistency thing is a problem with attached wads.

Anyway, got my mould re-built and cast Moose copy slugs so now to load up and see how they do from smoothbore. It will be a while before I have the choke tube adaptor mounted on a barrel so I can try the rifled choke tube.

Longbow
I measured my Rooskie knockoff Lyman 10 gauge sabot slug and it measures .718” so the Moose Wadcitter at .715” oughtta be okay inside the SP-10 wad . I measured the Lyman 525 that was cast in a Lyman single cavity and it was .680” so the Moose Wadcutter in .680-.685” oughtta be fine with the CB WAA12 wad . Measured the Rooskie knockoff 16 gauge sabot and it was .618” sorry to say they don’t have anything close to that other then a roundball which I might give some consideration . And finally I measured the Lyman 20 gauge sabot slug and got .575” and they do make a Moose Wadcutter at that diameter 315 grains . Incidentally I haves Lee .575 double cavity and a Lee .562 double cavity on the shops next order from Midway . I might just might delve into the 28 gauge world but if I do it will be just a roundball and possibly the Rooskie 28 gauge version of the Lyman sabot slug . But doing the 28 will be pushing it a bit for me .

longbow
04-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Did you watch the videos?

While good accuracy and stability from rifled barrel and rifled choke tube is not too surprising, the stability of both the big Lyman .69 and the Moose .69 from smoothbore was!

Makes me wonder about the form... streamlined nose with big body. If it tips the profile of the nose must have far less drag than the body where typical Foster slugs wouldn't have quite that difference in drag. Seems to me anyway. We'll see how they do!

Longbow

Petander
04-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Moose 315 hb in 575 looks interesting... my luck with heavy 20 gauge slugs has not been good. Well, 315 is not that heavy but...

Anyway,my pot is hot and I'll make some more 575 balls to have 500 more soft ones to be coated. Winter came back with a foot of snow,got time for casting.

6pt-sika
04-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Did you watch the videos?

Yes I watched them . Can’t say I liked their range set up , awful lot of flat ground and I saw no backstop .

mic
04-11-2019, 07:20 AM
to wax cork/felt wads or not for a moden shotgun.

centershot
04-11-2019, 07:55 AM
i was going to make shot this weekend but off to the bush to shoot some rabbits and if there not about ill build a fire make some coffee and cook some chicken legs on the coals.

Aye, mic has it figured out!!!

Markopolo
04-11-2019, 08:05 AM
to wax cork/felt wads or not for a moden shotgun.

I use them all the time for all sorts of stuff in my shotguns from 410 to 12g

Markopolo
04-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Lately I been using a 2 395 RB load in a 410 with a stump wad, some felt as a gas seal, and an overshot card roll crimped. Really cool load over 15g of 2400... and rhe 2 balls are impacting about 2.5 inches apart at 30 yards.. recoil has some authority from the 410 single shot. One day I will chro these....

centershot
04-11-2019, 08:19 AM
I have three new moulds due to arrive today from Titan Reloading, a DC .310, a DC .452-200gr. and a .575 for my 20 gauge. I bought a SC .310 years back and use it to cast buckshot, as long as I was ordering moulds (and am currently out of buckshot) I thought I'd add the DC .310 to increase production. I know, Lee makes an 18 cavity mould for buckshot, BUT, then you have to cut the pellets off the stringers! The SC & DC moulds cut the sprue off cleanly with just a small flat on the pellet. Easier, I think, than trying to cut the nibs off a tiny buckshot pellet with my chubby fingers! LOL!

I was beginning to experiment last autumn with .690 RB loads in my 12 ga., having sussed out the .662 RB pretty well last summer. I'll continue with that when the large bright ball of fire brings warmth to the northern hemisphere again, soon I hope! But, I have a weekend of casting ahead of me and Starbucks in the coffee pot, life is good! Carry on mates!

6pt-sika
04-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Just sent an order in to Moose Molds ordered one of their Wadcutter Minnies that .695-535 with a HB pin and an additional pin for solid base . Also ordered a Wadcutter Minnie that's .715-535 with the HB pin and an additional pin for solid base .

I would suspect I'll see them sometime late next week :smile:

https://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013/wadcutter-hb

W.R.Buchanan
04-11-2019, 12:55 PM
I finally delivered my Navy job yesterday. So I'm free for the time being. I got the smoothbore barrel for the A5 sighted in with Federal Slugs so I can use it at Front Sight next week. I'm taking the camera so there will be pictures.

I have Lightfield and Brenneke slugs to shoot in the rifled barrel, and I really want to get the Lyman Sabot Slugs to shoot in a rifled barrel.

Lots to do now that the weather has turned nice for a while. It will be unbearable here soon.

Randy

6pt-sika
04-11-2019, 01:07 PM
I finally delivered my Navy job yesterday. So I'm free for the time being. I got the smoothbore barrel for the A5 sighted in with Federal Slugs so I can use it at Front Sight next week. I'm taking the camera so there will be pictures.

I have Lightfield and Brenneke slugs to shoot in the rifled barrel, and I really want to get the Lyman Sabot Slugs to shoot in a rifled barrel.

Lots to do now that the weather has turned nice for a while. It will be unbearable here soon.

Randy

I'm not trying to tell you what to do , but if you're shooting factory Foster style slugs try the plain old Winchester slugs . The slug itself in those is a skoosh larger in diameter and "generally" most folks get better accuracy results .

centershot
04-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Randy

I feel for you, brother! We have it bad enough here in the North what with 5-6 months of winter, lake-effect snow, etc. But you guys down south freeze in the winter and get baked in the summer! EEEK!

W.R.Buchanan
04-11-2019, 04:13 PM
We had 50 mph winds Tuesday and that completely stripped the oak trees of their Pollen Nodules,,, minus the pollen which looks like sulfur dust and was blowing everywhere. It literally looked like it was raining sideways except the Rain was yellow!

We picked up the nodules yesterday and blew everything around and now it is unsafe to go outside until the pollen gets washed away.

Temps are nice but Allergies are Rampant. My head is about size 8 1/4 right now. 7 1/4 is normal.

Absolutely nuts here! But we should get a big crop of acorns this year which the deer will like. We got lots of deer right now.

Randy

mic
04-11-2019, 05:17 PM
I use them all the time for all sorts of stuff in my shotguns from 410 to 12g

you are right there

W.R.Buchanan
04-13-2019, 12:26 PM
I built a Bridle for my stock yesterday to allow me to mount my sling on either side of the stock. It was made from my normal 1.5" belting with two Uncle Mikes studs cut off and welded to some fender washers. It got taken to my favorite Auto Upholstery shop and sewed together. It is held in place by Velcro.

I can now carry the gun Cross Body with the muzzle down or Cross Back for long hauls.

This is a better way to haul a shotgun around and is more comfortable while standing waiting to shoot.

At Front Sight you shoot in two relays. You are standing behind your partner and are supposed to be coaching him while you are not shooting. You have to have a sling on the gun for this. Previously I had just the regular Sling attachment on the gun. Now I can sling the gun 3 different ways and the Butt Bridle comes right off so there's no change to the gun.

Randy

dsh1106
04-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Time to setup the shotmaker, then modify the setup to run pure lead.

I worked on this last year and came pretty close, just need to find my notes and refine things a bit.

And I've got a 69 caliber minie mould to try out too.

Scott

Made about 10 pounds of pure Pb shot today wasn't very round but it's very usable.

I did cast up some Lyman .69 cal minies, must be the advertised weight is for Lyman #2, these things weight every of 745 - 750 grains when made from pure Pb.

I'll have to post some pictures later.

Scott

longbow
04-14-2019, 10:23 PM
I will certainly be interested in your results with those huge Minie's! I'm hoping you get as good or better results as shown in those Taofledrmaus videos.

While i have always liked the Kynoch Paradox slugs I have to say that the Lyman Minie is as heavy and every bit as impressive a slug so if they work well from rifled barrel they are a good substitute and no expensive mould required. The CBE Paradox moulds are really nice but not cheap! I guess the solid version isn't too expensive.

If these Lyman Minies stabilize consistently from a smoothbore as well that makes them even more versatile. The Taofledermaus video showed the Minie well stabilized from smoothbore but they only made a few shots too so not conclusive. If they do stabilize well and give accuracy as good or better than conventional slugs that would be terrific.

Anyway, looking forward to range reports on this one!

Have at 'er and keep us posted.

Longbow

6pt-sika
04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
I will certainly be interested in your results with those huge Minie's! I'm hoping you get as good or better results as shown in those Taofledrmaus videos.

While i have always liked the Kynoch Paradox slugs I have to say that the Lyman Minie is as heavy and every bit as impressive a slug so if they work well from rifled barrel they are a good substitute and no expensive mould required. The CBE Paradox moulds are really nice but not cheap! I guess the solid version isn't too expensive.

If these Lyman Minies stabilize consistently from a smoothbore as well that makes them even more versatile. The Taofledermaus video showed the Minie well stabilized from smoothbore but they only made a few shots too so not conclusive. If they do stabilize well and give accuracy as good or better than conventional slugs that would be terrific.

Anyway, looking forward to range reports on this one!

Have at 'er and keep us posted.

Longbow

That larger one will be "only" the fourth slug mold I have for the 10 gauge :groner:

04-15-2019, 06:52 PM
I see Lyman catalogs about half a dozen mini .58 cal molds. Most are substantial, but one is in the 315 gr. range. Has anybody tried the Lyman minie in a saboted 20 ga.?

I'm, of course, getting ahead of myself, as usual. I haven't even worked out my .575 round ball experiments yet and I'm already thinking about that Lyman mine.

longbow
04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
725:

Looking at the Moose Minie .69 and that Lyman .58 Lyman 315 gr. I am thinking that Moose basically scaled up that Lyman design from .58 to .69. They certainly do resemble each other and Lyman has been making that .58 315 gr. mould for many years.

I can believe the Moose .69 535 gr. Minie will work as a "Foster" slug drag stabilized because if has a large HB cavity but if asked before seeing the Taofledermaus video I would not have believed the 730 gr. .69 Minie would stabilize from smoothbore.

I'll say I haven't tried it but have read posts by people who have tried Minies in smoothbores with poor success and generally tumbling Minies. The Minie was designed for rifled gun and doesn't in general (I don't think) have the balance point in the right place for good drag stabilization. However, even that big 730 gr. Minie stabilized from smoothbore on the Taofledermaus video. That big 'ol 730 gr. .69 looks like a scaled up 575213 old style Minie.

Anyway, if the Moose Minie stabilized from 12 ga. both rifled choke tube and smoothbore I am betting that Lyman .58 315 gr. will stabilize from 20 ga. whether rifled or smoothbore, but from rifled gun it should do well if the wad/Minie fit is good.

You should do a search of VDOmemorie posts (Ajay). Not sure if he ever used that 315 gr. .58 Minie but he did post on several other .58 Minies in shotcups for 20 ga. Fit is what you are looking for and Ajay did his homework.

Longbow

6pt-sika
04-15-2019, 07:54 PM
I see Lyman catalogs about half a dozen mini .58 cal molds. Most are substantial, but one is in the 315 gr. range. Has anybody tried the Lyman minie in a saboted 20 ga.?

I'm, of course, getting ahead of myself, as usual. I haven't even worked out my .575 round ball experiments yet and I'm already thinking about that Lyman mine.

I tried some .578” Minnie’s in a 16 smoothbore and as you might expect not so good , but not in a 20 gauge yet . I have a couple 58 minnie molds , but the ones I tried in the 16 came from a borrowed Lee mold .

04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
longbow & 6pt-sika

All along with my thinking, too. I would be using a fully rifled 20ga., (Hastings) saboted in a standard shot cup. I think fit is everything. My efforts with a tight fitting RB in 12 ga. have convinced me that that imparts a good spin consistently, which, for me, has translated into very satisfactory accuracy. So much to try and seemingly so little time to do it. If anybody casts the Lyman mine .58 @ 315 grains, I'd love to hear what the diameter specs are.

6pt-sika
04-16-2019, 10:56 AM
longbow & 6pt-sika

All along with my thinking, too. I would be using a fully rifled 20ga., (Hastings) saboted in a standard shot cup. I think fit is everything. My efforts with a tight fitting RB in 12 ga. have convinced me that that imparts a good spin consistently, which, for me, has translated into very satisfactory accuracy. So much to try and seemingly so little time to do it. If anybody casts the Lyman mine .58 @ 315 grains, I'd love to hear what the diameter specs are.

For a 20 gauge rifled gun I have a Savage 220 but I only shoot jacketed stuff in that all factory . I “had” a Savage 210F 12 gauge that I killed a bunch of deer with and sold it . Now my only rifled 12 is a Hastings barrel for my A-5 Mag . I never shot lead or reloads in the 210F either but I suspect I may very well try some in that Hastings barrel .

6pt-sika
04-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Well I’m awaiting the Big Brown Truck ! We have a Midway order scheduled to arrive today and a pair of Lee roundball molds are in the order .575 and .562 . I just finished about twenty minutes ago making a 50/59 WW/Pure alloy for those two molds . So if the truck ever gets here I’ll degrease the molds , soot them a touch and cast a couple dozen both sizes .

6pt-sika
04-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Cast 60 .562” balls and 60 .575” balls . 239982

6pt-sika
04-16-2019, 02:17 PM
The new to me 1904 Parker GH 10 gauge with 34” barrels finally showed up !239988 239989 Not sure when they changed the 10 gauge designation for this grade from “EH” to “GH” but I have an “EH” that was made in 1899 and this “GH” that was made in 1904 so it most certainly was sometimes in between ! I might add this gun is one of s very few that was this grade 10 gauge and with 34” barrels . The Parker Story says 15 but there are more then a few log books missing so I would say probably no more then thirty or so .

dsh1106
04-16-2019, 06:03 PM
Here's a couple of pics of my 1st attempt at casting the Lyman 69 cal minie, looks like I'm going to need a little tin to get this to completely fill out.

Here's some pics of pure Pb shot, 2nd attempt at this, it was a little chilly out when I made this. I think the coolant was too cold. Once warmer weather gets here I'll give it another try.

gpidaho
04-16-2019, 07:16 PM
^^^^^^ That shot looks pretty good to me Scott. Good job. Gp

Markopolo
04-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Hey LB.. I saw that fortunecookie45lc put up a video that might interest you....

https://youtu.be/GyaK-uGElaA

Interesting way to assemble the “mini” package... might wanna check it out..

Marko

longbow
04-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Indeed! Interesting stuff! I was wondering if my roll crimper would handle the long nose but I'm guessing if the commercial roll crimper does, my home made one will. I have a bunch of smooth sided Moose slug copies cast and waiting to be loaded. I may get out this weekend. The Easter bunny better be on the lookout!

I found that my smooth sided Moose Minie copies sit nicely in my Winchester 1 1/4 oz. shotcups on one 16 ga. nitro card wad. They are a very snug fit in my 0.733" barrel. By adding one more nitro card wad the fit becomes an easy slide through so two 1/8" nitro card wads should be about the right fit for my Slugster barrel which runs 0.729"+.

I am getting excited! Even if results are stellar, these will make a nice attached wad slug anyway. That's my default position. I am hoping they work well on their own.

I'll have to look and see if fortunecookie45lc has a video of these being shot.

I don't have any brush wads so will try the Winchester was as is and if they don't work due to cushion leg failure I may still have a few Pacific Veralite wads which have petals that are too thick but a nice cushion leg I will cut off to put under the Winchester cup as fortuncookie45lc did.

I've been a bit busy getting ready for out annual archery shoot so not focused on slugs lately.

Longbow

dsh1106
04-16-2019, 08:31 PM
^^^^^^ That shot looks pretty good to me Scott. Good job. Gp

Thanks Gary,
Can't beat the cost of pure Pb at about $1 lb, not sure anything I'd shoot at would know the difference. Maybe I'll get some "range" alloy from the Captain and see how that works.

Scott

longbow
04-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Those big 'ol .69 Minies look pretty nice too!

I'll be looking forward to a range report on those bad boys!

Longbow

gpidaho
04-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Thanks for posting Marko. I watched a little farther and found it interesting that the Diabolo style slugs were stable and accurate when seated backwards. Tail heavy not nose heavy. I wouldn't have thought that they would fly that way without tumbling. Gp

gpidaho
04-17-2019, 06:06 PM
They're on the way. Just picked up 2,200 Cheddite economy Primed hulls from BPI $99. Not a lot more than the price of the primers. Gp

Markopolo
04-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Yea... that kinda bugs me.. I can’t get in on those deals as they won’t/can’t ship primed huls

Petander
04-18-2019, 04:12 AM
They're on the way. Just picked up 2,200 Cheddite economy Primed hulls from BPI $99. Not a lot more than the price of the primers. Gp

Wow.

Here in Finland I can hardly get 300 Cheddites for that price. Plus shipping which is ~20 Euros.

Loaded factory trap ammo is cheaper than hulls, 50-60 Euros / 250. Sort of guided me to develop converted "Economy Slugs" for practise.

dsh1106
04-18-2019, 05:56 AM
Those big 'ol .69 Minies look pretty nice too!

I'll be looking forward to a range report on those bad boys!

Longbow

Thanks LB

Those .69 Minies were an interesting thing to cast using pure lead. I ran about 50 that session, the 1st 15 or so I had real issues with filling out the cavity. Once the mould was hot it did a little better, I had to run the lead temp up to 790 F to get a visible complete fill on them. Even then I must have had some air pockets, because the weight differences on the best 10 looking ones were up to 10 grains different. Using pure lead these things ranged from 740 grains to 750 grains.

Scott

6pt-sika
04-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Added a circa 1918 Parker VH 16 gauge 26” on an 0 frame to my accumulation. Either I’ll pick it up next Saturday at the Southern SxS or a friend will pick it up for me . 240158240159

Petander
04-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Oh how sweet, Sika.

I keep thinking about a 20 gauge side by side. Never had one, 12's yes.

Slugs for fun and tungsten load development for hunting. Older shotguns with tight chokes may or may not work with tungsten, I'm coating my shot to see if there's a chance to get it work.

Lead ban is coming big time over here.

Ozark mike
04-21-2019, 06:50 PM
I've had a few smokeless scatter guns I think my next will be a 10ga sxs front stuffer

6pt-sika
04-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Got a usps click and ship email from Moose Molds today ! I would assume my Wadcutter Minnie molds should be here by Friday :guntootsmiley:

bikerbeans
04-29-2019, 10:57 PM
Ok, one more turkey hunt this weekend then back to casting and loading. 60 cal RBs for a rifled 20 ga are up first and then 58 cal RBs for a rifled 24ga. Heat treated, single ball loads only.

BB

6pt-sika
04-29-2019, 11:07 PM
Oh how sweet, Sika.

I keep thinking about a 20 gauge side by side. Never had one, 12's yes.

Slugs for fun and tungsten load development for hunting. Older shotguns with tight chokes may or may not work with tungsten, I'm coating my shot to see if there's a chance to get it work.

Lead ban is coming big time over here.

Got the Parker today a friend picked it up at the Southern Side by Side in Sanford NC for me this past weekend . I have four nice 20 gauge doubles a Parker VHE circa 1928 , a pre 1930 Fox Sterlingworth and two Browning Superposed’s one from 1951 and the other from 1964 . Had a very nice circa 1969 Browning A-5 Light 20 but I sold it last September . If the opportunity presents itself I’d like to get a Belgium made Browning A-5 20 Mag .