PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the OME rear sight on a Miroku/Win 1873?

greenjoytj
04-09-2019, 06:53 AM
I ordered a Marbles tang sight on a Miroku built Winchester 73. I may need to remove the OME rear semi buckhorn sight for a clear unobstructed view through the peep hole. I hope just removing the elevator will clear the buckhorns from the peep view.

I’ve ordered a fancy dovetail filler piece from Brownells to fill the dovetail cut if required.

Is there any tricks I should be aware of for removing the rear sight from the dovetail like which side should of the sight should my brass drift punch be hitting against?

NSB
04-09-2019, 07:56 AM
You always drift a dove tailed sight out from left to right (as looking down the barrel the same way you look to aim). Dovetails aren't parallel on the sides, they're a trapazoid cut. This applies to every make gun I've ever seen. Fillers and new sights go in the same way they came out, from right to left.

pietro
04-09-2019, 12:47 PM
I ordered a Marbles tang sight on a Miroku built Winchester 73.

I may need to remove the OME rear semi buckhorn sight for a clear unobstructed view through the peep hole.

I hope just removing the elevator will clear the buckhorns from the peep view.

I’ve ordered a fancy dovetail filler piece from Brownells to fill the dovetail cut if required.

Is there any tricks I should be aware of ?

You have another option, since the issue rear bbl sight will definitely interfere with your sight picture through the tang sight.

That option would be to set up your rifle with dual zeroes via swapping out the issue rear barrel sight for a folding sight.

Once the sight's swapped, the barrel sights can than be zeroed for a reatively short range (say, 50-75 yds), and the tang sight for a longer distance (say, 150yds).

In practical use, the rifle is carried with the tang sight folder & the rear bbl sight "up", so suddenly-presented shots are more easily taken effectively.

If/when a target is presented at a longer distance away, there's usually ample time (if the rifle's carried in the hands) to simultaneously lower the barrel sight with the forward hand while the trigger hand raises the tang sight for the shot.

M-Tecs
04-09-2019, 01:12 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?309772-Drifting-out-Win-94-Rear-Sight-From-Right-to-left

http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_and_Winchester_BPCR_Dovetails.html

NSB
04-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Simply measuring the cut will show it's wider on the right side (as you're "aiming" the gun). As per the provided link above, the first responder got it wrong. Amazing how many people give advice without actually knowing the answer. If you read past the first response, it gets corrected. Texas-Mac, as usual is spot on in his review.