PDA

View Full Version : Sharps rifle book

Lance White
04-09-2019, 02:24 AM
The book "The Sharps Rifle Its History, Development And Operation " by Winson Smith - is it a good book for reference on original Sharps?

Bent Ramrod
04-09-2019, 09:08 AM
The bulk of the detail in Smith’s book is on the various percussion models. The cartridge models are described, but not to the extent the caplock versions are.

When Smith wrote his book, there was little reference material on Sharps rifles at all. He was able to accumulate a representative collection of the earlier types in the 1940s, notably from Bannerman’s. It’s still a good reference, especially for the workings of the various gas check systems in the percussion breechblocks.

If your main interest is the cartridge models, Sellers or Marcot et al are better references.

Lance White
04-09-2019, 05:53 PM
The bulk of the detail in Smith’s book is on the various percussion models. The cartridge models are described, but not to the extent the caplock versions are.

When Smith wrote his book, there was little reference material on Sharps rifles at all. He was able to accumulate a representative collection of the earlier types in the 1940s, notably from Bannerman’s. It’s still a good reference, especially for the workings of the various gas check systems in the percussion breechblocks.

If your main interest is the cartridge models, Sellers or Marcot et al are better references.

Percussion Sharps are my main interest for sure, I picked up a 1859 Navy Carbine. Plan to round out my collection with time with a 50-70 cartridge conversion, an 1853 sporting, and any other targets of opportunity I come across (with time)