PDA

View Full Version : D & R Shot Maker

pkchwy
04-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Hi all I am looking at buying a D & R Shot Maker and wanted to now how they work and if there are any issues with it. Does it make good round shot or not? and also how can I size the shot and remove the bad shot

dsh1106
04-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Those look like the Littleton Shot Maker, I'd contact Alan here on this site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?351964-Shotmakers-2018-New-run-NOW&highlight=Littleton

Scott

too many things
04-07-2019, 10:30 PM
LOT more to it than you may want to do

GhostHawk
04-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Dripping shot is an art form.

Temp of allow, how much alloy in pot (head pressure)
Type and temp of coolant all have an effect on the final product.

You DO need to polish and lube the ramp. Some say chalk, others graphite, I've used Lee Alox with fair success.

Ramp needs to be about 1/4 from the coolant. If the coolant is too thin/cold you get popcorn. To thick/warm you get tails or funky shot.

Alloy matters. If you don't have a good source for cleaned, COWW in ingots, forget it.

I have run as low as 50/50 COWW and Range Scrap. But if it starts getting to pure it quits dripping.

All the above is just my experience. Yours may vary. Have fun.

Budzilla 19
04-08-2019, 08:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he just said, plus a hundred!!! I’ve had a Littleton shot maker since the ‘80’s, it IS an art form! When it runs correctly, it is a joy. When it doesn’t, oh boy. Good luck to you because it is satisfying to see your own shot, loaded in your shells, bring down game or bust up clay targets! Get the routine down, enjoy it. Just my .02

jimb16
04-11-2019, 07:34 PM
I also use a Littleton. It is not what I would call cheap, but it is worth every penny. Once you get the hand of it, like how full to keep the pan, depending on what size shot you are making, you can produce a lot of good shot fast and cheap. Mine has paid for itself many times over. I highly recommend them.

dverna
04-11-2019, 08:58 PM
I know two guys that tried making shot. The stuff was very poor in quality. Both gave it up.

Last year, magnum shot was $38 at the. trap shoots I attended. You can sell your lead as ingots for $1/ lb, so the saving is $13 a bag. You will be working for minimum wage to get an inferior product.

BTW, I am so cheap, I reload 12 ga shells to save about $1-1.50 per box. I would never make shot to save a bit more.

sealer
04-11-2019, 09:28 PM
I have used a Shannon Shotmaker since the very early 80's.In several blind tests I have consistently broken more targets using my shot vs. bought shot
YMMV, Dennis