PDA

View Full Version : We all get old

DCP
04-06-2019, 10:16 AM
The ups and downs of getting in an SUV or Truck as we get older
We have a 2018 4x4 Yukon.

Can it be lowered and not kill the warranty.

How much can it be lowered

Maybe I should have gotten a non-4x4

Last it sucks to get old!!

Pablo 5959
04-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Getting a side step would be cheaper. And protects the lower body sides.

BigAlofPa.
04-06-2019, 10:38 AM
I have a GMC Jimmy. It's the right height that i can just slide on in lol. When my knees are acting up. It;s murder getting in and out of my car. Those days the Jimmy gets a spin.

Finster101
04-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Lowering it would be difficult especially if trying to maintain decent ride quality. Steps would be the best option. If you don't like the appearance of fixed steps or running boards, several companies have retractable power options. They are not cheap but neither is lowering the truck.

DCP
04-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Getting a side step would be cheaper. And protects the lower body sides.

If you mean side step as running boards. They are already on the Yukon.

RED BEAR
04-06-2019, 10:49 AM
I had the exact opposite problem had an old car that set low loved that car had it for 18 years put over 200000 miles on it but got to the point i couldn't climb out of it so ended up giving it to my nephew. Sorry to hear bout your problems hope you come up with solution.

BigAlofPa.
04-06-2019, 10:58 AM
My saturn has 214k on it. It gets 30 mpg ave. That's why i keep it. No power to climb the hills when i have a car load lol. But it's cheap running. And i have not put a lot into for repairs. One clutch and starter and water pump and an alternator so far. Im not going to complain about that.

RED BEAR
04-06-2019, 01:36 PM
I really loved mine it just got to be to much of a chore to get out of.

georgerkahn
04-06-2019, 02:28 PM
I "hear you" both the the privileges of getting more candles on the birthday cake as well as vehicle entry challenges being exacerbated -- in my case -- by a bum leg. One approach, spearheaded by my brother-in-law, is he picked up a small plastic rectangular stool which he drilled two holes near the top sides, and ran some Venetian blind cord through. Sounds funky, perhaps, but it works! Fred keeps stool on driver seat, and after opening door he sets it in a good location on ground, with end of cordage in a hand. After he's seated, he pulls stool in, and stands it between two bucket seats. Upon time to egress, he uses cordage to place it where he wishes, using door handle for stability, and puts a foot on it to get to terra firma. Like I wrote -- it sounds funky -- but it does in fact work. And, Fred maintains if it (plastic) breaks, he can just spend another five dollars and replace it. The vehicle value is in no way altered, nor is there any major out-of-pocket expense to implement this. Just a thought. Good luck!
geo

Budzilla 19
04-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Retractable power running boards about$1700+- ! You can have the vehicle ride height lowered, but it needs to be done by a reputable 4x4 shop to maintain your alignment. Look for a set of two stage retractable steps, but they probably are pricey. Good luck whichever way ya go!

Three44s
04-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Getting old is the pits, but the alternative is worse!

My father was tired of climbing up into a GMC Jimmy (full size Blazer) so he ditched the taller tires and wheels and went to smaller lower profile ones then he added running boards. I find myself struggling with either too tall or too close to the ground depending on what it is now days.

It is mighty aggravating feeling challenged by things you did not think twice about just a few years ago! And I recall the folks older than me who used to grunt and groan and struggle I was working with and thinking that I was sure glad I would not end up THAT WAY!

Look how that worked out!

Best regards

Three44s

hwilliam01
04-06-2019, 04:42 PM
We had the seats modified for my mother. It gave her the mobility to stay on the road for another 4 years. Company was called Mobility works and they are nation wide. It extended out, rotated and lowered. We had both the driver and passenger seats modified so she didn't always have to drive. file:///C:/Users/Dell/Desktop/banner-2.jpg

https://www.mobilityworks.com//images_seatingsolutions/turny-evo-banner2.jpg

big bore 99
04-06-2019, 04:49 PM
The same with my Jeep. Gettin' old ain't for sissys.

lightman
04-06-2019, 05:04 PM
I have trouble getting around but so far the running boards on my Super Duty still allow me to step up and get in.

DIRT Farmer
04-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Not all have the oppertunity to get old.
I work part time at a funeral home Today we had a 4 year old and her dad

popper
04-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Ha. My son made a real off road Rubicon that I can't get into. Gave up the 4runner for an Edge that I can get into. Power running boards sounds like the best idea.An option on some of the factory chevys.

white eagle
04-06-2019, 05:23 PM
running boards are your friend

buckwheatpaul
04-06-2019, 07:28 PM

You are definitely preaching to the choir!!!!!!

country gent
04-06-2019, 07:34 PM
If your in a snow and ice area. running boards may fill and freeze up. Dad had a set of the sliding steps on a truck and coming home from work in heavy slush snow they would get stiff making it almost impossible to open doors when he got home.

I've had a couple sets of the step tubes and they don't fill pack with snow slush. One set I made a simple set of plates to lower them another 2".

jsizemore
04-06-2019, 08:37 PM
I've increased my lardage which has caused the truck to sag a little to the drivers side. Much more better getting in and out. You just need to increase your seefood intake.

Iowa Fox
04-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Thank goodness for the hand grip on the window post for my wife, She steps up on the running board and then pulls herself in. I use the seat and steering wheel to pull myself in after I'm up on the running board.

tinsnips
04-06-2019, 09:04 PM
I have the same problem with the new pickups I use for work.They are 4 wheel drive so that doesn't help, every year they seam to get higher, crawling into the box just about kills my knees. I am only 5'-10" tall thank god for running boards.

DCP
04-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Thank goodness for the hand grip on the window post for my wife, She steps up on the running board and then pulls herself in. I use the seat and steering wheel to pull myself in after I'm up on the running board.

Any trouble with your upper body and you cant pull your self in and then you're done. This is what I was worried about.

For me 6-3 300lb and bad back and knees. The cars are too low and too small. I need a big truck or SUV.

MT Gianni
04-06-2019, 10:28 PM
I have the same problem with the new pickups I use for work.They are 4 wheel drive so that doesn't help, every year they seam to get higher, crawling into the box just about kills my knees. I am only 5'-10" tall thank god for running boards.
Take a 5 or 6 gallon paint bucket and screw a 1x4 18" long to the bottom of it. You want 9" on the bucket and 9" sticking out. You now have a step and a handle to reach it almost anywhere in the bed of the truck.

Chainsaw.
04-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Email this guy. tony@tbssowners.com

He can get you set up with parts. Looks like about $650 in parts plus installation.

Finster101
04-07-2019, 11:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKw6c9aTJ0

Shawlerbrook
04-07-2019, 11:28 AM
If anyone ever comes up with the solution to all these problems associated with celebrating to many New Years they will be a very rich and powerful person.

Mal Paso
04-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Got you covered homes. Find an Old low rider mechanic. Back in the day they could set the car body right on the ground, each wheel had separate hydraulics run from an electric pump. Some would go from zero ground clearance to 18 inches at a touch of a button.

I don't have as much trouble climbing into the truck as folding into the car.

mold maker
04-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Chrisler Corp furnished and paid for the installation of a lighted retracting step for the passinger door of my 03 Dodge Ram crew cab. Although it reduced ground clearance, it provides its service admirably. Both my handicaped wife and grandson have been able to enter and exit safely.
I would advise adding a HD SW to turn it off when not needed.

blackthorn
04-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Years ago I had a 1979 GMC 4x4, 3/4 ton PU. My boys and I did a lot of off roading. My boy welded up running boards for it from 4" steel pipe, with threaded drain plugs (top front and bottom back). We filled one side with motor oil and the other with anti-freeze mix. I never needed either one but I helped three other guys with busted radiator hoses.

GregLaROCHE
04-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me. A lot less stiff and calms arthritis right down. I wouldn’t go a day without it.

If you never tried it, you should ask your doctor about it. Great for hangovers too.

My problem is not getting up into high trucks, but getting down into low cars where the top of the door jam is too low and having to bend my head down to get it into the car.

MaryB
04-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Not cheap... but it would do the job https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-76127-01A-B-PowerStep-2015-2019/dp/B00VYHTR5C/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=retractable+truck+ste p+yukon&qid=1554672578&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

elmacgyver0
04-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Never heard of getting old as being an opportunity, but putting it that way I guess I'm glad I'm getting old.
Exercise, watch your diet and or possibly physical therapy might be an answer to getting in and out of high trucks.
I know I need to get serious about my weight and get more exercise. When I get more exercise the dog gets more too.

Conditor22
04-07-2019, 06:35 PM
I wish my mind got old faster than my body, it keeps making promises/tries to do things that my body is no longer capable of :(
I knew a person that had a step that came out when she opened the driver door. she was rounder than she was tall.

Idaho45guy
04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Go here and ask the same question. There are plenty of kits out there and mechanics that can take care of it...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/street-suspension.120/

DCP
04-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Go here and ask the same question. There are plenty of kits out there and mechanics that can take care of it...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/street-suspension.120/

Thanks but I already did

Randy in Arizona
05-01-2019, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=GregLaROCHE;4620256]Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me. A lot less stiff and calms arthritis right down. I wouldn’t go a day without it./QUOTE]

I used Celebrex for several years.
Then I tried Turmeric with BioPirene (black pepper extract) it worked far better than the Celebrex with no danger to my liver.

It also helps a bit with memory problems, my CRS is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

YMMV, but it is a lot cheaper!

gwpercle
05-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Time to trade the high rider in on a low rider or start carrying a step ladder to get in !

We got Grandma a Gorilla 2 Step Ladder from Home Depot...it has worked like a charm...
She likes it ! Several models to choose from they run in the 20 to 30 dollar price range, we got the aluminum model for the light weight.
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2019, 12:29 PM
SNIP...

Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me.

SNIP...

I used Celebrex for several years.

FYI, Celebrex was banned in the USA for 3 years (2015 to 2018). I had used it years ago and it worked for my knee pain, back when I only had occasional knee pain, but it no longer helped when my knee pain became chronic.

Back to the OP.
My used 3/4 Chevy truck has a aftermarket "Step" on each side. They are short, like only 16 inches long, and have a grippy texture and are much stronger/sturdier than the typical running boards. There should be different heights available.

I posted some photos when I bought the used truck a while back (post #44)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?323311-Need-Chevy-truck-Advice-(year-2000)&p=3895449&viewfull=1#post3895449

oldred
05-01-2019, 01:34 PM

I was all set to crack my favorite joke about getting old when I started reading this thread but you sure got me to thinking there. Instead of joking now I'm thinking maybe those of us who are still around after way more than just four short years should instead be seriously thankful for our time here on Earth and consider the FACT that we don't have much more time left regardless of health at this moment. So instead of cracking that joke I will instead take a moment to think of that little one and others like her and offer a Prayer for those who will never get the chance at life that we have had, sometimes I guess we take too much for granted and forget that life, while it is to be joyful and celebrated, is a gift that not all will have for long and it really is no joking matter.

SSGOldfart
05-01-2019, 06:56 PM
running boards are your friend

Same here love my runners!!

bedbugbilly
05-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Can't help you on the lowering but will agree that it is no fun "aging".

Thinking of your "plight" brought a smile to my face thinking of what advice my Dad would have given . . . "get a running start!". :-)

PBlover429
05-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Have a very short lady friend who drives a lifted 4X4. She carries a HD milk carton case with a 6" rope on it. Get in ? Climb on carton, get in and pull it in w/rope. Get out ? Toss out carton, adjust it w/rope, get out, put carton back in truck.

A lot cheaper than running boards.