PDA

View Full Version : air fryer question

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2019, 09:24 AM
wife bought one yesterday. Looking at the instructions it says when cook chicken or fries to add some cooking oil. Do I just pour it in??? the basket sits up just a bit over the bottom of the tub and I cant see what some oil below the basket will do. any suggestions on the best way to do things like chicken or fries ect would be appreciated.

farmerjim
04-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Spray it on.

Ford SD
04-06-2019, 03:12 PM
wife bought one yesterday. Looking at the instructions it says when cook chicken or fries to add some cooking oil. Do I just pour it in??? the basket sits up just a bit over the bottom of the tub and I cant see what some oil below the basket will do. any suggestions on the best way to do things like chicken or fries ect would be appreciated.

I picked one up 2 months ago

Do not use Pam...... you have to use a oil with a higher temp rating ... Olive oil

if you have a 2 level top level you could brush a bit on to ease cleanup

Bottom level you need enough to stop sticking .. 16 min or so for steak and mushrooms.

if you are doing home made fries with the arm that flips the food, you can just pour some in and it will mix

chicken wings = no oil

ribs = oil ( cut ribs in to single pcs)

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2019, 08:13 AM
think ill try that. I rinsed a windex bottle out with baking soda and vinegar and will fill it with cooking oil
Spray it on.

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2019, 07:34 AM
made some chicken wings and frozen cheese sticks and pepper poppers last night. Wasn't to impressed. they tasted like the smell of the plastic its made from. Do these things have to be broke in and ran a few times?

sigep1764
04-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Ours took a couple turns to get the new smell off. Don't clean the basket for a couple cycles.

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2019, 10:17 AM
did some looking on line and found this is a very big complaint with many buyers. Suggestions were to run it a cycle with lemon juice and water, baking soda and water, or vinegar and water. I ended up doing one of each then one with all of them mixed together and a few runs with clear water after. Amazing the brown that came out of that thing. Smell is gone now.

daengmei
04-10-2019, 05:43 PM
The one I bought needs replaced, wife scrubbed the Teflon off. Anyways, I'm eating chicken as I type that is both crunchy and cooked. She doesn't use any oil, just a breading mixture. For no oil frying it is pretty good. We leave on the skin and that keeps the meat moist I think. Takes a bit of getting used to but our health supposed to trump our desires, so they tell me.

French fries are a bit off without oil, they will sometimes be soft if not cooked long enough...then too crisp if too long. Same as oil frying but the crunch is not the same. I just eat it...lol.

DougGuy
04-10-2019, 06:11 PM
I was reading some of the posts in the Cajun & Creole recipe groups on FB, about half the folks find their air fryer nothing more than a small oven, convection oven, and they aren't all that impressed with it after getting it and using it a bit. Others like them so I guess it depends on what you make in it whether you will like it or not. Obviously they do some things better than others.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2019, 08:06 AM
did some frozen fries last night. they were ok. A lot better then baked but still not as good as homemade fried French fries.
The one I bought needs replaced, wife scrubbed the Teflon off. Anyways, I'm eating chicken as I type that is both crunchy and cooked. She doesn't use any oil, just a breading mixture. For no oil frying it is pretty good. We leave on the skin and that keeps the meat moist I think. Takes a bit of getting used to but our health supposed to trump our desires, so they tell me.

French fries are a bit off without oil, they will sometimes be soft if not cooked long enough...then too crisp if too long. Same as oil frying but the crunch is not the same. I just eat it...lol.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2019, 08:09 AM
I guess I look at it like this. For two of us many times its a waste to start the big oven up for something small. Its the reason I got a toaster oven for frozen pizzas ect. For anything that youd want crunch this would save money over the big oven and do a better job. Sure wouldn't be the answer for a family of 5 or 6 that wanted chicken and fries for supper though. What I want to try next is a whole chicken.
I was reading some of the posts in the Cajun & Creole recipe groups on FB, about half the folks find their air fryer nothing more than a small oven, convection oven, and they aren't all that impressed with it after getting it and using it a bit. Others like them so I guess it depends on what you make in it whether you will like it or not. Obviously they do some things better than others.

shootinfox2
04-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Cuisinart, combo oven, all in one. A little pricey at 200 but well worth it. Spray bottle made for cooking oil from Amazon. Do it right and don’t try to take shortcuts. Wings are a ten minute wait for a tray of 12 wings. Follow the directions.