PDA

View Full Version : New Lee hand prime tool

abunaitoo
04-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Lee New Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool ..............$19.99
Lee #: 90230
Don't know if it's new or not, but the price is right.
Looks like the old style hand prime.
Are they just as good????

RED BEAR
04-05-2019, 10:40 PM
I thought you were talking about being like the old lee with round primer tray. To bad thats the one i loved still have a few that i picked up on ebay.

Gillie Dog
04-06-2019, 12:10 AM
Lee New Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool ..............$19.99
Lee #: 90230
Don't know if it's new or not, but the price is right.
Looks like the old style hand prime.
Are they just as good????

Been out several years, tested one for a few hundred cases small and a couple hundred large primer cases and worked fine with no issues. Tried an Ergo Prime also and had no problems with it over a few hundred cases. Hand operated tools with the "new" flip top tray seem to feed okay because of the jiggling they get.

Still, arthritis sends me back to old Auto Prime II which works flawlessly also.

Anyway, yes used one and it preforms as advertised.

GD

abunaitoo
04-06-2019, 03:45 AM
It's kind of like the old round tray primer.
Different tray, but it looks like it works the same.
Just wondering because it's so cheap.

RED BEAR
04-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Naw this has that little thing that separates the primers from the one being seated. Started buying all the old style the first time i used one of these. You can still find them on ebay from time to time. I have the bench mount from lee gave me a fit with small primers. It must have been something wrong with it when i tried to order the new mechanism they sent it free.

44magLeo
04-06-2019, 07:51 PM
I would skip that one and go with Lee's bench priming tool. It works very well.
It uses the same shell holders as the hand primers.
I have mine mounted to a piece of hardwood board, 2.5 inches by 8 inches. I just set it on the bench, no clamping. After seating the primer I let the handle just pop back up. This joggles things enough so the primers feed fine.
Leo

abunaitoo
04-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Not looking to get one.
I'm happy with my RCBS strip prime.
It just caught my eye with the "New" in the listing.
Guess it's not that new after all.
I have a bunch of the old Lee hand prime.
They work well, but I like the RCBS strips.

44magLeo
04-08-2019, 01:44 PM
The strip idea is great but loading the strips seems like it might be a more trouble than just dumping the primers in the tray, shake a bit to get right side up then go to priming.
How do you load the primers in the strips?
Leo