PDA

View Full Version : Low volume pistol powder charges loaded for cast rifle boolits

weeple2000
04-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Is there a better way to do this?

I have a Lee classic turret press. I am going to be loading 30-06 on it. I plan on using 2400. From what I can tell, the charges that I am using won't fill the case enough that a double charge would overflow the case. I understand that would be the safest way to load. Alternatively, I have loaded lower charges into pistol cases before. If I do that, I throw a charge, then visually verify that the charge isn't double. If I can see into the case, I can tell it's not a double charge. I haven't set up my turret press yet. But when I look at a case on my breech lock challenger, I cannot see the powder through the bottle neck of the case.

What is the safe way to do this? Here is one thought I have. I could grab a case, weigh it before putting it onto the shell holder. I have a digital scale, so I can zero the scale with the case on it. Then drop the powder, rotate the turret, pull the case, weigh the powder dropped on the digital scale, and place the case back on the shell holder. Then expand the case, rotate the turret, seat the boolit, rotate, then factory crimp it.

Any other suggestions?

Peregrine
04-05-2019, 10:21 PM
I just use an idiot stick.

Acquire a piece of wooden dowel of the proper diameter to fit in the neck, cut it to a handy length, then weigh out the right charge into the case and insert the dowel on top. Mark how far it fits into the case prominently and unmistakably.

Set up your workflow so before you place a boolit in a case you always check it with the stick first and you'll pretty effectively mitigate the possibility of a double charge. Appropriate charges of 2400 are bulky enough the difference is patently obvious.

Taterhead
04-05-2019, 10:55 PM
A little pen light helps immensely. Perigrine's idea for a poor man's powder checker is sound too.

weeple2000
04-05-2019, 10:56 PM
The forums are great. Someone always built a better mouse trap. I will try that, thanks.

tazman
04-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Peregrine-----That is the simplest and most straightforward method I have heard of. Sort of a manual powder cop.

Peregrine
04-05-2019, 11:00 PM
A little pen light helps immensely. Perigrine's idea for a poor man's powder checker is sound too.

I in no way take credit for it, I picked up that tip from someone else on here ages ago. This place is great. :)

T_McD
04-06-2019, 12:06 AM
I mean it’s an “ok” idea.... it’s an absolutely fabulous name!!:-P