PDA

View Full Version : Bp powder

lead chucker
04-05-2019, 01:24 AM
Hey guys. I made powder by pressing by hand and running them through a screen and now am using a press and making pucks grinding them up and screening them. The pressed pucks are twice the weight by volume than the non pressed. The question is why are the pressed pucks harder to light than the non pressed ones. Is this normal? They both go bang when i shoot them. When i make a line of powder and light it with a piece of news paper the lighter powder lights easy the pressed powder in a line takes more work to get it to light off. Any one experience this? The pucks seem dry before i grind them up. The fowling in the barrel is a lot more with the pressed pucks but its twice the weight by volume so that would make sense to me. Any in put would be appreciated.

lead chucker
04-06-2019, 03:23 AM
The denser one dont catch as quick. I did some more testing and still the same but still work and when they do light its pretty fast. Took a flint and struck a steel knife to make sparks on a little pile of powder and it lit so i think im good. Going to try to do some shooting Sunday and try some more with a flint lock. I just got a 100 mesh screen to improve my 4 f screening hope that helps with the priming powder. Now i can screen out the really fine stuff. Every thing seems to be coming together. Flys die is a real winner i can compress my pucks a little bit more with a 6 ton press verses a using it to make a 3 inch puck which works better than my hands thats for sure.