PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 93 bolt

Ruts
04-04-2019, 07:53 PM
239222239223i cut my bolt to clear my tang sight. Hope i dont lose credit upstairs

barkerwc4362
04-05-2019, 04:55 PM
If you have the proper tang sight there is no need to modify the bolt. I have an original Lyman tang sight on my Model 1893 in 38-55. The bolt does not come near the sight stem. My sight has the small nut on the right side and the locking lever on the left. What caliber is the 93? What number is on the sight? It appears to be a Lyman. The number is located on the underside of the site base. The sight stem does fold to the rear correct?

Bill

Ruts
04-06-2019, 10:34 AM
If you have the proper tang sight there is no need to modify the bolt. I have an original Lyman tang sight on my Model 1893 in 38-55. The bolt does not come near the sight stem. My sight has the small nut on the right side and the locking lever on the left. What caliber is the 93? What number is on the sight? It appears to be a Lyman. The number is located on the underside of the site base. The sight stem does fold to the rear correct?

Bill

Yes they must have made the proper sight at one time but I couldn’t find one and I don’t think anyone makes one for the 93 any more. This one is for the 94 I believe but it’s the right height. The sight folds to the rear and I really didn’t like the bolt kicking it back a bit every time the action is cycled so I cut off some of the tapered section at the back of the bolt and thought it didn’t look so bad. The rifle is a 30 30

barkerwc4362
04-06-2019, 09:39 PM
The proper sight is still available. They are not available from a retail source, you just have to look for people who trade in old sights. I didn't go into a "store" and buy my new in the box sight. I bought it from Gary Fellers in Texas back in the early 90's. I doubt Gary is still in business, but in this day and age of the internet they are out there. The old adage is to allows modify the cheaper item. In this case it was the sight. Marlin 93 bolts are no longer made. I just hope you didn't heat the bolt too much during your modification.

Bill

Texas by God
04-06-2019, 11:04 PM
You modified the $$$ part to accommodate the $ part. It's your gun, though, so enjoy it. Too late now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ruts
04-07-2019, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=barkerwc4362;4619718 I just hope you didn't heat the bolt too much during your modification.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Hacksaw and file no heat involved

Guesser
04-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Searching out the correct sight can be a labor of love; and worth the time and effort many times over. I picked up a 99 Savage carbine about 20 years ago. It is a solid frame 20" carbine made in 1936. I wanted a tang sight for it. Took me 10 years and travel in 3 states but I found one; a Lyman #30 1/2. It was new in the box, best guess is late 1920's manufacture. My Savage is a 30-30 as well. I would have settled for a side mount receiver sight but the tang sight is a thing of pure beauty. Wishing you well with your '93.