PDA

View Full Version : STOP me before I assemble again!

sniper
04-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Not finding a separate knife forum, I figured this might be a good place, seeing as how I think most of the members here are knowledgeable, and have, use, or probably make their own knives. Soooo...here goes...:bigsmyl2:

I have the urge to make another knife! I took 3 Tylenol, retired to a dimly lit room, with soft music playing...ALEXA! Soothe me!" :mrgreen:
Actually, assemble would be more correct! I buy the blade blanks, find the wood or whatever, and make the handles, and sheaths.. I have made maybe 8-9 so far; I did keep one, and the rest have been gifts. My wife says "What do you need another knife for?" Well...I have my first "good" knife a 3 1/2 " Browning, bought for $27 ~1978, a Buck Vanguard, ~1996...a great Elk skinner, A Schrade Golden Spike my wife gave me just before Schrade was sold, and a Helle Harding blade that I handled with cocobolo, with a Stingray laminated to cowhide sheath. I do have an OLD Schrade Sharpfinger that is undergoing renovation, as well as a really disgusting Navy MK II knife that I am wondering "Now What?" about. Soooo...I REALLY need another project!;)

I love the look of Damascus, and have been seeing what Smoky Mountain Knife works offers. The price is right, but, having read other assemblers' concerns about QC from the 'Stans, and "good enough" isn't what I really want.

My choices have been narrowed to these: A ~ 4"Damascus, drop point hunter/skinner, full or hidden tang, the Grohmann #3 Boat knife...if I can get only the blade or a diy kit. From Canada, the exchange rate is favorable, the service is great, but the shipping will kill ya! Or, a stainless LOVELESS design~4" Hunter/skinner.

Has anyone had experience with offshore blades, or would I be better served (This knife is for ME!) by using a U.S. supplier?

Thanks!:D

Conditor22
04-04-2019, 12:23 PM
You could always ask the wife why she needs another pair of shoes :)

Wayne Smith
04-04-2019, 04:45 PM
I wear a Damascus drop point skinner from Smoky Mtn Knife Works - I chose that because I have been there and know that they are proud of their knives - so I gambled on the quality and got a blade for me and one for my best friend. He wanted to drop the point more, and does hand work to change angles. He told me these are good steel - took him days to get what he wanted. Mine is white oak blackened.

You can by the damascus blades from Smokey Mtn with confidence even though they are made in Pakinstan from my experience.

OOPS - I didn't discourage you or stop you. You gotta buy some small brass to put the pins in. I use double side tape, put one blank on, drill, glue the other side blank on and drill through the holes I have. Not had a problem getting them lined up.

RED BEAR
04-04-2019, 06:09 PM
There is a knife section it is under outdoorsman. I solved the problem of wife thinking i was making to many knives by making her a whole set 21 knives and a cleaver. Hasn't said much since.

jcren
04-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Whatever you do, don't check out Jantz. (https://www.knifemaking.com/default.asp?Click=103877&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG13CYkqae-lX5YrbaTfeoVuR8yEbsSqJCq89s9AvN3LRZm5_3dDEBB8aAqHb EALw_wcB) Semi local for me, have from raw materials to finished blades, kits in sever different steels per pattern, cheap to American steel worked in house here in Oklahoma. Just don't look.

GhostHawk
04-04-2019, 09:25 PM
https://www.crazycrow.com/knife-blades

Personally I'm fond of the Russel Green River blanks for good quality carbon steel at a good price.

Winger Ed.
04-04-2019, 09:37 PM
My wife says "What do you need another knife for?" :D

I hear that and am always reminded of the movie "The Freshman" With Matthew Brodderick and Marlon Brando.

Brodderick gets conned into helping Brando- who is a mafia, career gangster, organized crime, Godfather sort of character .

Brando wants him to do something, and Brodderick protests. He says, "No!! That's illegal"!!!

Brando calmly replies, "Ahhhh,,,,, illegal is such an ugly word...... I try not to use it".

sniper
04-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Whatever you do, don't check out Jantz. (https://www.knifemaking.com/default.asp?Click=103877&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG13CYkqae-lX5YrbaTfeoVuR8yEbsSqJCq89s9AvN3LRZm5_3dDEBB8aAqHb EALw_wcB) Semi local for me, have from raw materials to finished blades, kits in sever different steels per pattern, cheap to American steel worked in house here in Oklahoma. Just don't look.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't look, No I didn't!:bigsmyl2:

Boolit_Head
04-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Not fin My wife says "What do you need another knife for?"

When she asks that ask her why she needs more than one pair of shoes.... and then duck!

04-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Have you ever made your own from either O2 flat stock or an old saw blade? Just adds to the fun. Oh, and that wife / shoe thing -------avoid, for Heaven's sake.

Moonie
04-05-2019, 11:12 PM
I will say you want to avoid the Pakistan Damascus... It is rarely the steel they claim and usually has delaminations.

rking22
04-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Alabama Damascus is good quality. I thought that SMKW was selling their blades??? I purchased some Damascus drops from SMKW this fall, have not hardened anything yet, slid to the back burner. I bought them thinking they were Alabama Damascus drops, now thinking I may have assumed....