PDA

View Full Version : iPhone experts?

Goatwhiskers
04-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Maybe someone knows what I got without driving to town and bugging the local repair guy. When my wife passed she had an iphone approx 4 3/4x 2 3/4" screen near as I can measure, only external marking is iphone and the letter S on the back. Was password protected but I was able to figure that out. Now it just tells me "phone is disabled" which I assume means there is no account programmed in. Been thinking about using it as I have an impression that Apple is just better than the Samsung Rugby Pro I use now. At least I can read the screen when outside which I can't with the Rugby even with the screen turned up. Only thing is it won't fit in my shirt pocket bu I could adapt, maybe. Anybody got an idea what I have?GW

sigep1764
04-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Take it in to your service provider. They will be able to swap your number to it. Or if you want to just connect it to WiFi for casual reading, perform a factory reset. Youtube has videos on how to do it. Hope this helps.

garandsrus
04-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Does the phone open to all the apps? If it does, the type of phone is under Settings. Not sure from there as it may have changed over time. Look for “About”, “version”, or something similar.

Cast_outlaw
04-03-2019, 09:01 PM
It sonunds like you have an iPhone 5s pist A photo of it but you might be able to just switch your SIM card over you will need a small pin if you have the original box there is probably one in it 239185239186
This is a 5 with my 8 beside it. the 5s is physical the same but the home button is blank and that is the SIM card slot on the side you can see with tiny hole so just try to insert your and see if that dose the trick

Goatwhiskers
04-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Phone says "disabled", but you can of course use the "emergency" function. Nothing opens as far as apps. Before I figured out the password it would go into lockdown mode, I think it was 15 minutes. Guess I'll just take it by the repair guy. Before I figured out the PW all he could do was basically gut all info from the phone and start over. Modern technology, ya gotta love it. GW

KMac
04-03-2019, 09:08 PM
GW,
I have an iPhone 6S Plus and it is the size you described and just says iPhone and S on the back.
Their should be a gray icon that says settings on the screen when you log into it. Press the settings icon. Press the name that appears first thing under settings, should be your wife's name. Scroll down to where it says iPhone and under that it will tell you the model.

David2011
04-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Goatwhiskers,

So sorry to learn of your wife’s passing.

I’ve worked with iPhones on a corporate level since the 4 came out. (Now retired from the rat race.). The message you’re getting is probably because she either had “Find My iPhone” enabled or she had an Apple ID set up on the phone. It will be protected using the email address she used when it was set up. You may be able to unlock it if you can access her email. When you try to turn it off Apple will send a code to the email address that she used to set up the feature that has it disabled. It’s an anti-theft “feature” by Apple. The exact location within the operating system varies with the IOS version so if you can get hands-on help someone familiar with the Apple operating systems would be able to get you into the right section of the OS. Internet searches can be very helpful as well since many of the third party websites have step by step pictures of the screens.

Failing that, if you can locate the purchase record or invoice you can get Apple to release the lock. They require a copy of the proof of purchase. If you know where she bought it the store will probably be able to provide the proof of purchase.

Hope this is helpful.

David

Goatwhiskers
04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
FWIW my nurse came to give my monthly IV nerve treatment turns out she knows some stuff. Spent a good part of my drip time on the phone and on line with Apple. The device is a 6Splus, it is in process of being updated, then have to take it to AT&T to put me in it. Before she finished I was threatening to just scrap the whole thing and stick with android or go buy a new one. It's tuff being a dinosaur nowadays. GW

Dieselhorses
04-04-2019, 06:13 PM
All I know is the first call on ANY cellphone was made yesterday by a Martin Cooper in 1973! (46 years ago) They cost as much as 15K and were only sold to Military and Police.

Yes, GW, best to take to an Apple store or whoever your carrier is and they'll hook you up!

gwpercle
04-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Just make the drive into town and let one of the Apple tech's get it all sorted out and working. That's the only way stuff like this gets corrected...it's magic we can't do .
Get a belt holster for the phone...OWB is better than IWB , then open carry!