PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Micro 380 slide stuck open

FergusonTO35
04-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Well, had my first serious problem with the Micro today. Was shooting my standard 3.1 grains Bullseye/Lee 356-102-2R and,after a few flawless mags, the slide suddenly locked halfway open. I can pull the slide back but it gets stuck halfway closed. Feels like the slide is running into something, the slide release is pressed down and doesnt appear to be broken. I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, will do so tonight. Any ideas about what it could be?

Hickory
04-03-2019, 05:45 PM
I think a round trip to Kimber might be in order.

Texas by God
04-03-2019, 05:57 PM
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but that sounds like a bulged Barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tunnug
04-03-2019, 06:28 PM
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but that sounds like a bulged Barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
My thinking also, had a friend hand me his .380 with the slide stuck halfway, long story short he had shot old ammo that came with the gun (no idea how stored or how old) 3 shots when the slide got stuck, what I figured the second shot was weak and got wedged halfway down, the third went into battery and blew the second bullet out when fired along with bulging the barrel, I still have the barrel which has 2 splits from the pressure.

BK7saum
04-03-2019, 06:40 PM
It does sound like a bulged barrel issue.

Burnt Fingers
04-03-2019, 06:57 PM
As someone who has bulged a barrel it does sound like a bulged barrel.

Good luck.

FergusonTO35
04-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Looks like a chunk of slide came off and has wedged itself between the feed ramp and slide. Yep, going back to Kimber. Tried to upload pics but its not cooperating.

Lefty Red
04-04-2019, 06:09 PM
I had a Springer 1911 Mil Spec do that last year. Just a fluke!

BTW, my TLE 380 is doing awesome! Kimber will take care of it for you.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
04-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Took the Micro to the gunsmith after work, I figured I would let her look it over before sending it back. Turns out the rear plate on the slide had slipped down and was catching the hammer! Snapped it back in place and everything seems to function perfectly. Field stripped the pistol and found no damage of any sort.

I'm still going to let her give it a good inspection and test fire. This has never happened before and I sure wouldnt want it to happen when my life depends on it!

Lefty Red
04-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Do you think it’s from the recoil of your loads?

I put an extra power recoil spring in all my 1911 types. And my 380s especially! Makes it harder to cycle the slide, but easier on the frame.

lefty o
04-04-2019, 08:25 PM
if the firing pin retaining plate fell down once, it'll more than likely do it again. lightly peen the edges or backside of it, to give a tighter fit in the slide.

FergusonTO35
04-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Thanks. I have also read that an extra power firing pin spring can solve this problem.

osteodoc08
04-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Thanks. I have also read that an extra power firing pin spring can solve this problem.

That can invite other issues.

I’d get a new firing pin stop and have it fitted. Or send it back. Either way.

Lefty Red
04-04-2019, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I would call Yonkers and tell them about it. I would want them to look it over.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2019, 10:27 AM
I left it at the gunsmith's shop, she is going to inspect it and test fire. Other than this and a defective mag release that Kimber replaced, the Micro has been totally reliable. I think I am going to save up and get a Sig P238 and let the Micro be my wife's gun. She wont shoot it much and doesnt carry, so it should never give her any problems.

Lefty Red
04-05-2019, 10:48 AM
I left it at the gunsmith's shop, she is going to inspect it and test fire. Other than this and a defective mag release that Kimber replaced, the Micro has been totally reliable. I think I am going to save up and get a Sig P238 and let the Micro be my wife's gun. She wont shoot it much and doesnt carry, so it should never give her any problems.

The Sig is a great pistol too, but I don’t see it as stronger than the Micro. Just bulkier.
And magazines are expensive, but I think they will take the Metalform magazines, so might be a wash.

If I don’t have my TLE, I think I would get the Colt Mustang XSP. It’s a polymer lower, and can have sights replaced. I loved mine! My favorite niece got it. Haven’t found another locally since.

Kimber must of had a batch of bad mag releases cause I had problems with a couple on an Ultra and Micro 9. And heard of several others, about a year ago. All have been since.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
04-05-2019, 11:03 AM
Thanks. Everything I have read indicates that Sig, Colt, and Kimber .380's all use the same mags. I'm going to tell the gunsmith to go ahead and send it back to Kimber. They will probably just replace a bunch of parts under warranty, which is fine.

Lefty Red
04-05-2019, 11:44 AM
My SA 911 wouldn’t take Kimber mags nor the Metalform ones. I got rid of it because it’s just not built to the quality that the Sig/Kimber/Colts are. The barrel looked like it was from Kel Tec! Very accurate though and great trigger on it.

Seems like that is SOP for several manufacturers when something comes back, just change everything out to be safe.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
04-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Hmm, that's strange. Never buy the first generation of anything!

Battis
04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Just curious - will they honor a warranty if they know that reloads were used?

FergusonTO35
04-05-2019, 04:07 PM
I don't say the R-word when talking to gunmakers. The gunsmith called Kimber about it and they said that, if there is nothing broken and this is the only time the gun has malfunctioned in this way, there is probably nothing they can do. So, I told her to give it a good inspection and test fire just to be sure. I'll probably replace the rear plate, firing pin, and firing pin spring for peace of mind.

shooting on a shoestring
04-05-2019, 05:46 PM
If it were mine, I’d use a dot of JB Weld when putting it back together. The next time disassembly was required, a touch with a soldering gun would be the key to unlock it. If that sounds to drastic, locktite or even fingernail polish could ease your mind.

FergusonTO35
04-18-2019, 09:06 AM
The 'smith cleaned and inspected the Micro, then fired a box of factory ball and a box of my reloads with no problems. I think I am going to replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring since it is about due for them, might replace the firing pin plate too. Then shoot it some more and, if no further problems, chalk it up to just one of those things that happens.

Boogieman
04-20-2019, 02:27 AM
Any thing that would slow the firing pin returning could cause this. I would check for trash in the firing pin channel , or a bent pin.

FergusonTO35
04-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Thanks, will do. The OEM firing pin spring is noticeably shorter than the same from either Wolff or Sig Sauer. The Kimber firing pin is identical to Colt, the only difference in the Sig Sauer pin is that the slot in the full diameter center section is more narrow on the Sig. The Sig or Wolff firing pin spring is noticeably harder to install than the original, however it will still propel a Bic ink pen out of the barrel no problem. Right now, I'm thinking the original firing pin spring was marginal and did not return the rear of the firing pin into the plate all the way. When the slide came back, friction from the hammer being cocked pulled the plate down and jammed the gun. Hopefully I can shoot it soon.

Boogieman
04-20-2019, 09:53 PM
A new spring sounds like a good idea. This is not unheard of in 1911s , same style, For a short time during the firing cycle the spring is the only thing holding the plate in place. The spring also helps keep the firing pin from contacting the primer if the gun is dropped barrel down.

FergusonTO35
04-21-2019, 08:53 PM
Well, I was able to put 40 rounds through the Micro today and am happy to report the slide plate stayed in place just fine. Every round went bang, firing pin indentations were as deep as before. Talked to my BIL, who is career military and a real 1911 freak. He said he has seen this kind of failure before, and it was always from a damaged or worn out firing pin spring.

Boogieman
04-21-2019, 10:36 PM
If the OEM spring is shorter than a Wolf your problem was most likely a worn or bad spring.

FergusonTO35
04-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Yes, the OEM spring is shorter than both Wolff and Sig. I'll try to post a pic.

FergusonTO35
05-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Put more rounds through the Micro today with no problems. I 'spose I'll put it back in the rotation.

Lefty Red
05-04-2019, 03:05 PM
One thing I don’t like about the Micro 380 is the recoil spring is hard to upgrade. The Micro 9 was easy to get an extra power spring. Seems like you have to “hand cut” a Micro 380 to fit.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
05-05-2019, 12:43 AM
Really? The Wolff extra power spring fits mine perfectly, as does that of the Sig P238.

Lefty Red
05-05-2019, 01:42 AM
I meant the extra power springs. I was wanting to use the Underwood +Ps in the Micro.

Lefty

FergusonTO35
05-05-2019, 08:05 AM
I have the Wolff extra power springs and they fit just fine. Mebbe yours were packaged wrong?

Lefty Red
05-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Always possible or I got the 9mm’s spring mixed up with the 380’s when I stored them. But the recoil spring is about the only thing I change on my SA Micros.

Either way, it runs great and won’t get beat up with my carry ammo!

Lefty