PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650 casefeeder question

6bg6ga
04-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Having used a handmade case collator for years I have finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Dillon case feeder unit for my 650. Anyway... looking thru ebray and I noticed someone selling a device that goes in the case shoot that is supposed to eliminate shell case jams. My $64 question is ......is the dillon 650 case collator prone to having problems with what has been described as "Waterfall Brass Problems?"

More info.....as to my decision to purchase the Dillon Collator. Recently purchased the individual parts necessary to load 300 blackout, .223's, 22-250's, and 308 on my 650. Currently using a DAA bullet dropper magazine unit to drop bullets. Plan is to incorporate my purchased 3D bullet collator into the mix very soon.

jmorris
04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
They have made different collators, of the last two, the rectangle one needed a different insert for 9mm and smaller cases to keep them from bridging. If you have the new round one, just run it on slow (you won’t be able to put run it) and it will be fine.

Mytmousemalibu
04-03-2019, 09:24 AM
I know exactly the ebay piece you are speaking of, I came by it myself the other day and ordered one to try. I have run probably 100,000rds of 9mm alone since i got my 650 and I always leave my casefeeder on high. (I average 1100rds per hour cadence) I have had my feed jam and do the "brass waterfall" one time since owning it. That single occurrence was last week actually. I came across the mod part accidentally but figured it wouldn't hurt but haven't tried it yet.

Burnt Fingers
04-03-2019, 10:31 AM
If your press and bench are solid you shouldn't have a problem. Vibration is what causes the problem.

Mytmousemalibu
04-03-2019, 04:04 PM
My press is on Dillon's own mount and its securely fastened to the bench. The bench itself is 4'x8' and probably weighs 400lbs and probably a 200lbs of stuff on it. It's about as secure and stable as it gets. As I said, a jam has only happened once. Dillon's casefeeder is pretty well sorted out. Probably the best unit on the market.

bgw45
04-03-2019, 04:33 PM
I have the case waterfall issue occasionally. My 650 is mounted on 1/4" boilerplate so I'm wondering if vibration is really the issue. A call to Dillon resulted in advice to slide the metal plate in the chute to the right till the waterfalls stopped. Not so effective. Now it has occurred so often that the metal adjustment tab will not hold it's position.
If it was more frequent I would attempt to chase it down. I usually catch it so quick that it's no big deal. Input appreciated.

bgw45
04-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Looked at the "fix". I'll pass as I currently use a dental pick and resolve waterfalls in a few seconds.

David2011
04-04-2019, 02:47 AM
To see how rigid your bench really is, look at the case feeder while you’re loading. No matter how stiff the bench top is, if the substructure isn’t really stiff the case feeder will shake and jambs will develop.

jmorris
04-04-2019, 09:27 AM
I always leave my casefeeder on high. (I average 1100rds per hour cadence) I have had my feed jam...

Once in that many rounds isn’t much of an issue but you don’t need the collator on high for pistol cases at that speed. It is fine on low at over 1500/hr rates. Ridged is important though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

JimB..
04-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Once in that many rounds isn’t much of an issue but you don’t need the collator on high for pistol cases at that speed. It is fine on low at over 1500/hr rates. Ridged is important though.

What can you share about that bullet feeder?

I’ve been a LnL user but have a 650 being delivered today so have started to pay attention to such things.

Jim

6bg6ga
04-05-2019, 07:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

Great Video! Flawless operation proves ridged is needed. If I may ask what bullet feeder setup?

jmorris
04-05-2019, 07:42 PM
It is a GSI. They are no longer made but are the best pistol bullet feeders I have ever used.

They are a toolhead that has the feeder above the seat die. So you can get alway with very little flare because they are seated so straight. More importantly, to me, they allow retention of the powder check die as well as allow seating, then crimping in two steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3hVi6PuduM&t=16s