PDA

View Full Version : New barrel

beemer
04-02-2019, 07:12 PM
I have been wanting to build another rifle for a while now. I live about 50 miles from Rice Muzzle Loading Barrel Co. so I went buy today and bought a .40 cal. 13/16 that is 42 in. long. There is a curly maple board that has been hidden in my shop for close to 25 years. It is just shy of 2 inches but will work for a slim rifle if I am careful. This board has the tightest and most even curl of anything I have ever seen. This will be a plain rifle or what some call a barn gun with minimal iron hardware. Next I will order flintlock, not sure which one yet.

A good many years ago a friend gave me a unfired Dixie barrel, someone had tried to make a wall hanger. They botched a dovetail and bored a hole almost through it at 7-8 inches from the breach and bored a hole through to the bore about 1 inch from the muzzle. I cut the muzzle myself but couldn't do the breach. Jason cut the bad section off, bored and cut new threads and sold me a new plug while I waited !! What more can you ask, great service and products.

I now have a new 40 cal. and a 1 inch 50 cal. 32 inch long barrel and can use the back section for a short handgun. I think I will be busy for a while.

Dave

Buzzard II
04-02-2019, 08:47 PM
You will be busy for some time. Good luck with your projects.
Bob