PDA

View Full Version : Good solid affordable bottom pour setup??

EVR
04-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Trying to decide if I want a bottom pour pot. Any suggestions?

I cast for some hunting and sort of experimental casting, not high volume stuff.

DangerousDave
04-01-2019, 10:49 PM
I started casting back in 1977 with a lee production pot. It holds (supposedly) ten pounds. I'm still using that very one. And, they don't cost much more than that one did in '77. Bought one for my son a few years ago and the quality still seems about the same. Normally, I'm not much on lee products, but they do deserve bragging rights on that pot. The thing is so simple there's just not much to go wrong with it...

MrHarmless
04-01-2019, 10:59 PM
The thing is so simple there's just not much to go wrong with it...

I second the Lee Pot.

It just works. It's about the most cost effective one there is. The electrical cord isn't grounded, but it is a really nice cord.

bmortell
04-01-2019, 11:05 PM
if your already casting fine and not high volume just depends what you think it will offer you I guess

Mike W1
04-01-2019, 11:20 PM
When I started bottom pouring and tossed the ladle about '77 I bought the Production Pot (10#). Still use 2 of them stacked and can't see any reason I'd want any other. Tweaked them a bit over time. Added grounded cords, PID equipped both, and even added warmer shelves but they did the job well before all that. Course I only feed DC moulds but then I never run out of hot lead either. I could afford more expensive but really all you're doing is pouring hot lead either way near as I can tell.

EVR
04-01-2019, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys.

I've been leery about some Lee products but your reviews here are encouraging.

Schreck5
04-02-2019, 09:17 AM
I have both, the lee Pro 20, and the lee 10#. The 20# pot has been a headache since day one. But the smaller 10# pot has been just fine. Buy the way, both are bottom pours. Actually, i have 2 10's and 1 20#.

Froogal
04-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys.

I've been leery about some Lee products but your reviews here are encouraging.

Don't be leery. I started out with Lee reloading equipment about 5 or 6 years ago. About 2 years ago I got into casting with the Lee 10 pound pot. I have zero experience with any other brand and don't feel the need to experiment because I've never had any issues whatsoever with my Lee stuff.

lightman
04-02-2019, 10:08 AM
The Lee pot will get you into casting for the least amount of money. I have several buddies that come over to cast and the guys with the Lee pots do work on them more than the RCBS owners. Nothing major, just stuff like adjusting the linkage and dealing with drips. But they work. Melt times are about the same and at least one of the guys has had his pot for years.

Rich/WIS
04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Have had both the 10# and 20# Lee pots and they are hard to beat for the price. Gave the 10# to my nephew and the #20 I use exclusively. Never had any issues as long as I occasionally dab a bit of copper anti-seize on the control rod. Don't know if you still can but on the Walmart web site you could order one and they would ship it to your local store for pick-up.

Ed_Shot
04-02-2019, 10:12 AM
I used a dipper for over 30 years and then I was given an old Lee 10# bottom pour which I cleaned out and up and I never looked back. I enjoy a Lee 20# pot now but keep my soft alloy in the 10# pot. Have a great home-built PID and can't see the advantage of investing in an expensive pot.

OS OK
04-02-2019, 10:20 AM
The Lee pro 20 is prolly the best value out there for the money...no doubt they will last. They do have some inherent problems...no big deal really, just annoying habits they have.
Like many Lee products, for the imaginative handyman fixer/user, there are many fixes for them...

The P-20 for instance:
-leaks...hence the nickname 'drip-O-matic'.
-it is difficult, inconvenient...to adjust the flow valve...
-the mould support leaves much to be desired...

Other than those minor details, you too can have a cheap pot and cast all you want...I fixed mine.

https://i.imgur.com/Poyd9Lb.jpg

In fact, if either of my of pots ever go south permanently...well...I'll just get parts from Lee and repair them or buy another replacement.

gwpercle
04-02-2019, 12:43 PM
For low volume production a Lee Magnum Melter 20 lb. electric pot with a Lyman ladle gets you up and running very economically. I can cast more and better projectiles with this set up than with the
drip-o-matic bottom pour . Unless your moulds are 6 cavity you don't have to use a bottom pour pot .
All of my moulds are 1, 2, 3 and a single 4 cavity . Pressure casting with a ladle with them works better for me .
Gary

JBinMN
04-02-2019, 01:26 PM
The Lee 10#-er works fine for me & has for about 20+ years with no issues. Fishing jigs & sinkers, boolits, all in moderate quantities dependent on sizes, but I usually only run about 30- 70 pounds of lead in a "run", and I do not take many breaks. Last Fall I ran at least 600+/- 230 gr., 450+/- 124gr., 250+/- 158gr. 250=/- 148gr., IIRC in one "run" in one short afternoon using only that 10#-er. Combination of 6cavs & 2cav molds. I dn't recall the poundage in that run, but I would guess at 35-40 or so. Might even be higher, but I just don't recall tight now. ( It is time to fire it up again though. ;) )

Maybe if you needed to run faster or more boolits you could go with a bigger pot, but if you want to change alloys like I do on occasion, IMO, it is easier(less effort) to empty/lower the smaller pot to change over alloy than the bigger one(s) depending on how ya do it.

I think if I was to replace this pot it would be the same kind/size. It just suits me & my usage I reckon...

Do as ya like though.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide!
:)

KenT7021
04-02-2019, 05:17 PM
I use and like the Lyman Mag25 but the Lee bottom pour pots work well and are inexpensive.I have a 10 lb bottom pour and 4-20 bottom pour.I never had any complaints about them.

Patrick L
04-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Lee is an interesting company. I do like their casting stuff, including their pots. I started with their 10# pot, graduated to their 20# pot about 10-12 years ago. Both still running strong.

While its true they are not RCBS, quality, last time I checked RCBS cost about 4x as much, and the RCBS is NOT 4x the pot (and I really like RCBS, own a bunch!)

If it were a question of $80 for a Lee and $125 for an RCBS I'd seriously consider spending the extra $, but this gap is too big. The Lee's deficiencies are minor and able to be overcome.

Just my .02

Budzilla 19
04-04-2019, 12:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

RED BEAR
04-04-2019, 06:45 PM
The only pot i have ever used is a lee 20 lb pot and a ladle. I really like lee products. Nothing fancy but they work.

Conditor22
04-05-2019, 02:51 AM
I started with a Lee dipper and quickly upgraded to the PRO 4 20LB 110V with DIY PID which I still use today. I could never justify paying more for another pot seeing th 4 20 and I have come to an understanding. Now I have 2- 20# and several 10# that I got in deals.

With the 4-20 you need to remember not to lift too hard on the knob, shorten the screw that holds the knob and lift near the pot to put less stress on the top and bottom screw.

georgerkahn
04-05-2019, 07:28 AM
A suggestion not mentioned is Lyman Mould Master. These often appear on eBay, used of course, but if you're lucky you may find one a person bought new, used maybe twice before realizing (for them) buying factory bullets is the way to go, and really can get quite inexpensively. I have three of these, and... they work! (I believe two were part of an estate sale)

Sig556r
04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
+1 on Lee 20# bottom pour, been wishing for an RCBS or a Lyman but the price gap is really hard to swallow

barkerwc4362
04-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Get an RCBS pot. The older one not the newer one, if you can find one. Modify a Lyman mould guide to fit the RCBS pot. It is a perfect combination. I started with Lee 10# pots. Added the extension to raise the bottom enough to clear a Lyman mould guide. It was fine until I started casting with 4 cavity bullet moulds. The RCBS holds 22# of alloy. It has a limiter to allow you to control flow of your molten alloy. I have never seen an older used RCBS pot for sale at a gun show. Lee's and Lyman's, but never an RCBS. I have three RCBS pots by the way. All have Lyman mould guides fitted. One is for pistol allow, one for linotype and the third for lead/tin. When I had a friend modify a Lyman guide for one of my RCBS pots he "tested" the combo to make sure it worked. He now owns one.

Bill

JBinMN
04-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Well... It is unanimous...

"Dance with the gal ya brung!".
;)