PDA

View Full Version : Reaming 32 mag to 327 Federal

Shooter6br
10-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Have Ruger SP101 in 32 Mag/Like to ream cylinder to 327 Federal. Can ideas? Rick

leftiye
10-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Yup. I opened up a K-frame .32 H&R mag to .327 with a .339" chucking reamer. My chambers were quite overly long (.100") for the .32 mag already, so I didn't cut out much. If you have to take out the shoulder at the front of the chamber (before the chamber mouth/throat) when you cut, I'd modify the chucking reamer to have a pilot, and a gentler taper there. Use a chucking reamer the same size as your existing chamber - a little bit smaller is okay. There is a brush do-dad called a flex hone (or flexi-hone, I'm not sure) that can be had in fine grit from MSC to polish the chambers with (don't over do it). If you perchance have to open up the chamber mouths to match your groove diameter (plus .001") then I'd just polish with 600 rit on a dowel (sawed in two partially lengthwise) or metal rod. cut the chamber mouths .001" smaller than desired and finish the whole deal in one operation with the sandpaper/rod thingie (open up the throats, and polish the shoulder). Good luck!

mike in co
10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
has anyone asked ruger if the cylinder material is correct for the pressure of the 327? (significantly higher in the 327)

thanks
mike

felix
10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Mike, if the gun was made in the last 5 years, especially, it would have the right steel. At least it should have, if they did migrate all cylinders made to that same steel the 454 uses for its cylinders. It seems to me that I did read that in some technical rag (not a gun rag). So, that is the question to ask: Are all cylinders now made with the steel as for the 454, and if so, when did the conversion take place. Was my gun with serial 999999 made since then? That steel is by far the strongest of any pistol steel to date. ... felix

Harry O
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Reminds me when the SP101 was first introduced. It was offered in .38 Special only. Several gunsmiths began opening them up for .357 Magnum. From the magazines, it was a simple rechambering job and VERY inexpensive. No change in metal.

Shortly afterward, Ruger started offering the same. I don't know if they changed the metal, but I doubt it. It was only long enough for 125gr bullets, though. A while after that, they stretched the frame and cylinder so that it could use ANY .357 Magnum load.

If there is any gun that I would trust with the .327 Magnum, it would be the SP101.

Clark
11-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I have opened a number of Colt police positives from 38sp to 357 mag with a .380" straight fluted reamer.

I rebarrelled a Mauser to 45acp. with a .469" straight fluted reamer and a 45acp throater.

I opened up some 9x19mm to 9x23mm with 25/64 drill and throat with a "U" drill. Sometimes I use a 9x23mm Clymer reamer, but it is not as good.

I have been loading the 32 S&W Long hot in Colt pocket positives.
I have blown out the forcing cone on a few.
When the cone is welded up and re cut, the revolver becomes much more resistant.
I have been loading 6.5 gr 800X or 13 gr LIL'GUN with 85 gr Hornady JHP.
I have not reamed any out for 32 H&R or 327F, but I were going to, I would not use the SAAMI reamer size of .334", but much tighter, and closer to the size the brass comes out of the Carbide sizer. The loaded ammo may need to be resized, but this produces amazing accuracy.

Bullshop
11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Anybody willing to do a 22 single six cylender for me? I am willing to pay a fair price.
BIC/BS

McLintock
11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Bullshop,
I don't think the .22 Single Six cylinder is long enough for the .327. I've got two 3 screw Single Sixes that have been converted to .32 H&R, and with bullets in the 115 to 120 gr size they're right at the end of the cylinder; there's difinitely not another 1/10th inch there. I think the New Models have the same length cylinder, but not totally sure on that. You'd have to seat them deeper which would take up teh powder space you're gaining with the longer case, so might as well stick with the .32 H&R. Might be able to do it with 95 or so gr bullets, which are much shorter. When Alan Harton makes a 32-20 on the Single Six, he makes a longer cylinder and opens the cylinder window in the frame to take it, could do that, but it gets pretty expensive from what he's quoted me for the job.
McLintock

Bullshop
11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
McLintock
Thats kinda what I thought, but the mag case suits me just fine too.
A question for ya, how did you convert to center fire? Did you use a factory bushing for the center fire frame? My 22 cooper in on an old model and was done before there were any factory CF frames. Would you be at all interested in taking on the CF conversion and cylender work? This one is a new model. I have a barrel and ejector housing and parts. As far as the cylender length goes I have an old model and its cylender fits the new model and shoots well with it.
BIC/BS

McLintock
11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Sorry Bullshop, I didn't do the conversions, that's way beyond my limited gunsmithing abilities; wish I could, but don't want to put the $'s into the equipment necessary to do so at my age and "want to" level.
Alan Harton of Houston, Tx. and Single Action Service, did the work, and very well. He relocated the firing pins, I think, by using the CF bushings, as the bushing pins were also relocated in the frame, higher if I remember right, without getting one out. I've got some pictures on my web picture holder place, and can bring a couple down and post them if you'd like.
McLintock