PDA

View Full Version : lube foe Lee boolit sizer

captn-tin
04-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Have a bunch of 158 gr swc boolits sized at .358. Would like to size down to .357 for use in my Kart barreled 1911 38super. Picked up a .357 Lee sizer as boot in a trade and am wantin to know if the lube in the bottom lube cut of the boolit will suffice, or will I have to spray lube boolit so as not to lead up the die. The lube in the lube channel is a blue lube of unknown brand. Thanks for any help.

Dusty Bannister
04-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Probably would be good to smear some lube on the first several bullets to condition the sizer die. Then whatever lube is present will likely be sufficient and stay lubed as you go. You will figure it out if not.

captn-tin
04-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks Dusty... Kinda had a hunch.

Rcmaveric
04-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Just size away. I have not had problems sizing bullets with out or with a lube or spray on or tumble. Definitely easier a little bit. But not enough for me to say a spray on lube is necessary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MT Chambers
04-01-2019, 05:26 PM
If you mount your press upside down the lube may run into the lube grooves.

sghart3578
04-01-2019, 08:07 PM
I never lube my bullets before sizing. I find it to be a waste of time and lube.

Bazoo
04-01-2019, 08:11 PM
I size dry before lubing all the time. I polish my sizing die though before it's first use. Don't take much but it helps a lot.

country gent
04-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Use one of the tumble lubes thinned down, tumble lube let dry and size. When done you have lube in grooves and bands

JBinMN
04-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Vaseline in a film amount will work & not harm a thing. NO... not innuendo. I did not say, "K-Y", but that would work in a pinch. So would Prep-H.
;)

Seriously. Just smear a very small amount of vaseline into the die when you feel it is an effort to run the boolits thru & it should be fine. Vaseline is one of the ingredients in some boolit lubes & it will not do any harm. I use it in my home made pan lube & it works fine in there for me, anyway

Or, run 'em dry, if that is your prerogative.
;)

G'Luck!, whatever ya decide!
:)

megasupermagnum
04-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Wax lubed bullets are perfect for these dies. Dry bullets work too... sometimes. With a harder alloy, rough die, dirt, etc. you can easily find yourself ruining bullets. You will see it on the base of the bullet, either finning if it gets really bad, or first you will see an imprint of the punch in the base. They shoot, but they don't shoot good if you can see the dent. Any kind of lube goes a long way in this case. Lee bullet lube, spray lube, case wax, even Crisco will go a long ways.

greenjoytj
05-13-2019, 09:03 AM
For pushing un-lubed boolits through my LEE press mounted push through sizing die, I use a dauber applicator. Its a piece of wire wrapped around a ball of soft fuzzy material. I put a few drops of my favourite oil on the dauber ball push it into the die before the first boolit is started. Subsequently I push the dauber up through the bottom which usually pushes the first boolit out the top of the die and re-lube the die for the next boolit.

RickinTN
05-15-2019, 08:13 PM
I've lubed many bullets dry with no issues. If it's a harder alloy and I'm sizing quite a bit I'll rub my fingers in some Imperial Sizing die wax and rub it on the bullet. It doesn't take much.
I've not used any of the lubes suggested above but I'm sure they will all work well if needed.
Take care,
Rick

PS. I bought my first can of Imperial Size die wax about 25 years ago and have loaded steadily along, heavy at times, and have almost used 2/3 of the can. It will last a loooong time!