PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning some 32 cal starter pistols.

Dvdmacdaddy
04-01-2019, 11:11 AM
We are about to have our district track meet at my sons school. Two weeks ago we hosted a track meet all 4 32 cal starter pistols gave us fits. In looking at the guns they don’t look like they have been cleaned in 30 yrs. Any tips on getting these cleaned up and ready for Friday’s meet?

Three are true starter pistols, one looks like it was a 32 pistol that was bore and cylinder plugged to be a starter pistol.

rintinglen
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Remove the grips and cylinder and put them in a bucket or pan of solvent, diesel fuel if nothing else is available to hand. A commercial parts cleaner will work great for this. But, if you don't have one, just let them soak over night, Then, wearing cheap, disposable, nitrile gloves pluck them out and scrub them with a tooth brush. Immerse the frames and cycle the actions twenty to forty times. Remove from the solvent and wipe or blow dry parts, then spray with brake cleaner and wipe with a paper or shop towel. Lightly lube the center pin, the the cylinder boss and put a couple drops in the action. That done, reassemble them, test cycle and you should be off to the races.
It is amazing how much crud can accumulate over the course of a decade or two:smile:

country gent
04-01-2019, 04:32 PM
A solvent tank will work fine with good solvent. Soak for awhile and brush any stubborn deposits. Let drain in the tank for a while and blow dry with air hose or canned air. Wipe down and oil. Better would be to pull grips and a few cycles thru an ultra sonic cleaner with short soaks between then the brushing and drain. Its pretty straight forward to clean these. I used to take the schools and use the solvent tank in the auto shop. Set it in the tank and turn it on let it flush thru gun with grips removed for one class then drain and dry re oil next class. I did this every year before start of track season. After 30 years of no matienence and possible corrosive ammo they may be in need of more care.

Dvdmacdaddy
04-01-2019, 09:29 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190402/c11b2cf3bd22c20ea9c9e6ba904f3e43.jpg

No lube left what so ever, caked with carbon, and the blanks they are using are black powder.

To had to use pliers to remove the shells, there is so much junk the cylinder wouldn’t turn and the ejector wouldn’t move. Tons of slop in the hinge as well.

I’m letting it soak in mineral spirits, going to scrub off the loosened carbon before bed and let it soak over night to help with the caked carbon removal.

Dvdmacdaddy
04-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Took an over night soak, lots of scrubbing, another long soak, lots more scrubbing. Got all 4 as clean as can be, lubed, assembled and tested.

After cleaning sprayed down with Ballistol.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/7c07fca53b2bfc8931840b0bacfe9bfc.jpg

Before
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/29422123403f70a47b33b061b355d982.jpg

osteodoc08
04-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Seriously neglected. Are they functional/reliable now?

Dvdmacdaddy
04-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Seriously neglected. Are they functional/reliable now?

Yes, I ran two cylinders of blanks through each pistol not one malfunction. I did give them a quick clean with Hoppes soaked patch after function test.

I made a note on my calendar for next year to get the pistols and clean them before track season starts.

osteodoc08
04-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Hope you have a fun filled and mishap free track season.