PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake + boolits?

unclebill
10-19-2008, 09:05 AM
i found this online.
and i am curious since i own the raging bull in .454casull

QUOTE; You'll notice there are no cast bullet loads listed as I have yet to find a muzzle brake that will shoot cast bullets to my satisfaction. My theory is the holes in the brake allow some distortion of the cast bullet as it passes through, affecting accuracy. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, ;UNQUOTE

any thoughts on this guys?

S.R.Custom
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
If by "muzzle brake" the original poster meant porting of the barrel, then yes, it's true. I've seen bullets recovered from one of those Springfield Armory V10s, and there is most definitely an amount of material stripped from the bullet as it passes by all those holes, what with the gas pressure behind the bullet obturating it into the ports. I can't speak to the extent to which this compromises accuracy, but you know it doesn't help it...

A true muzzle brake, on the other hand, does not touch the bullet once it leaves the muzzle, relying on the redirection of propellant gases after the bullet leaves the barrel. This, theoretically, should not affect accuracy, as the bullet is unmolested.

unclebill
10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
hmm...
thats why i ask you guys.

i have shot for groups using .45l.c. cowboy loads and they are very accurate out of that long bbl.

bobthenailer
10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
i have 3 FA 454 casulls , 1 with a ssk muzzel brake and 2 with magnaport i have no problem with leading. the hotter loads with slower burning ball powder clean out the lead in the ports on the 454 s and 2 45 acp & 1 38 super and 357 & 44 revolver that have comps. i shoot about 99% lead bullets out af all of my handguns reguardless of caliber

bobthenailer
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
all of my guns a very accurate with porting / muzzel brakes / or comps. i even have a 22 lr target pistol magna ported for b.e matches and yes there is a difference ! very noticeable in rapid fire when you have 10 seconds for 5 shots and only useing 1 hand hold .

FN in MT
10-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I've got a FA M83 with porting, and a pair of S&W PC Lt Wt Hunters, also ported. IF the porting affects the accuracy in a negative way ....I sure can't see it.
All three shoot far better than I can.

The theory behind it sounds plausible but apparently in some ported guns the affect is minimal.

FN in MT

454PB
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm in agreement with the others. I too have a Taurus RB in .454 Casull, it shoots just fine. Now truth be told, I'd rather not have the ports. All they do is increase the muzzle blast, make the barrel longer, and collect boolit lube.

unclebill
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
i like the ports.
i'll take anything i can get to keep the wrist abuse down.