PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Lube Question

TCLouis
10-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I am about to run out of FWFWL from the gigando batch they cooked up several years ago and have all of the 50/50 that I had in stock when the Felix Lube came in.

I have 12 sticks of 50/50, about 16 oz of Alox 2138 (yes, the original stuff) and enough bees wax to mix. I also have two sticks of Lyman "Moly Lube".

The question is should I throw in the moly when I melt all of the other together, or just write it off. I guess I keep going back to the "NRA Cast Bullet Manual" where they found issues with all of the additives to their base lube recipes.

At least one learned poster here exclusively uses a lube based on significant amounts of moly in their lube formulation.

I realize this is not a group that has or will express opinions, but solicit your opinions anyway.

Add the moly?

Don't add the moly?

wiljen
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I vote for don't add the moly. Only thing I add to 50/50 is a little carnuaba to stiffen it up just a tad.

Boerrancher
10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I would not add the molly. I am trying to get all of the molly lube out of my lube/sizer now. I think molly is messy and really doesn't provide as many benefits as has been touted by Lyman.
You can also at a later time melt the batch back down and add the molly at a later date if you are not happy with out it in there.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

epj
10-19-2008, 09:39 AM
If I had a stick of Moly, I'd gladly send it to you, or to anyone else who wants it.:mrgreen: That stuff is horribly messy, and I will certainly never use it again. I got one stick with a new 4500, and after the first few bullets were sized I was more than ready for it to be gone. :Fire:

dubber123
10-19-2008, 09:48 AM
That Lyman Moly stuff is messy, BUUUT...it sure did make little groups for me when I was using it. I make my own stuff now, but The Lyman was a very accurate lube for me.

dromia
10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I am not a molly fan due to previous stupidity in being talked in to trying the stuff on boolits and bullets. The rifles are just getting back to normal now.

As far as I'm concerned with home made lubes, less is more as far as ingredients are concerned unless you have a tried and tested recipe like Felix's.

50/50 works good in most applications within its operating envelope which can be pushed with good boolit fit and appropriate hardeness for the application/velocity. I don't think the moly would help it much.