PDA

View Full Version : Sharps tumbler with broken full cock notch

Lance White
03-31-2019, 08:47 AM
Although technically not BPCR, it is the same part on 1859/63 and 1874, so I thought this might be the best place to ask. I picked up an original 1859 Sharps that is still percussion and noticed it would not hold full cock. I took it completely down, and found the tumbler has a broken full cock notch. The half cock notch and sear are in good shape. The main spring has one of the ears broken off, so I am guessing it was dropped on the hammer while cocked some time in the guns 150+ year old history. Right now, S&S, Lodgewood, and Dixie don't show stock of an original tumber. I can either get a repro and fit it (not a bad idea, it just isn't an original part) or file the notch deeper in the tumbler. It will be shot a little but not much. It is a rare Union Navy carbine, and I do plan on getting an original 1859/63/74 tumbler when one does show up.

BrentD
03-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Although technically not BPCR, it is the same part on 1859/63 and 1874, so I thought this might be the best place to ask. I picked up an original 1859 Sharps that is still percussion and noticed it would not hold full cock. I took it completely down, and found the tumbler has a broken full cock notch. The half cock notch and sear are in good shape. The main spring has one of the ears broken off, so I am guessing it was dropped on the hammer while cocked some time in the guns 150+ year old history. Right now, S&S, Lodgewood, and Dixie don't show stock of an original tumber. I can either get a repro and fit it (not a bad idea, it just isn't an original part) or file the notch deeper in the tumbler. It will be shot a little but not much. It is a rare Union Navy carbine, and I do plan on getting an original 1859/63/74 tumbler when one does show up.

I would not file deeper, but I might consider welding some metal back on there. Still, there should be a way to get a replacement, depending on who made it. I'd scout around for the maker/importer and see if I could get one that way.

Lead pot
03-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Send the trigger bar to Shiloh rifle and they can fix it.

elk hunter
04-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Have it welded up and re-cut the notch then re-harden. Perhaps Shilo or C. Sharps can furnish a new main spring.

toot
04-01-2019, 08:58 AM
the LOG CABIN SHOPPE does repairs on all locks, give them a call. what have you got to loose?

bedbugbilly
04-01-2019, 09:46 PM
You might want to put a post on the N-SSA site as well to see if anyone happens to have an original tumbler and mainspring - probably a lot will refer you to S & S or Lodgewood but you never know what someone might have laying around. If it were mine and I was going to shoot it, I don't think I would have a problem fitting a new tumbler and mainspring to it if they would be able to be fitted (I have no experience with the Sharps). Hang on to the old parts and if you ever sell it, let them go with the gun. The parts you are talking about are not going to be visible so if new (repro) could be fitted - who is going to know?

waksupi
04-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Keep an eye on Ebay. Maybe contact Buffalo Arms.

trebor44
04-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Keep an eye on Ebay. Maybe contact Buffalo Arms.

Another possible source would be "trapdoor collector", the classified section has listing for locks and parts.

59sharps
04-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Get Aa hold of Charlie Hahn can find him on the NSSA sight and Shiloh.

Lance White
04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
An original one should be here tomorrow from Regimental Quartermaster. I had not heard of them before I found them on the internet. I was impressed by their list of original parts.

1Hawkeye
04-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Regimental is good and so is Ed Knicely and I think he is also on the nssa sight.

John in PA
04-11-2019, 08:49 PM
I purchased three like new originals from Ed Knisely at the N-SSA Nationals last year. BTW, original Peabody, Sharps, and Spencer tumblers all interchange perfectly.

Ed Knisely
2645 Southern Hills Rd.
York, PA 17403-9574 Krag and Trapdoor Parts 717-741-2556
EdKnisely@aol.com