PDA

View Full Version : 3 Year old reloading

T_McD
03-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Just had the best reloading session ever!

My 3 year old had a ball attaching gas checks on some pc Boolits while I pressed them in and sized using my Lee hand press, all while watching Whinnie the Pooh.

Definitely an unsung benefit of pc and the hand press. No worries about lead exposure and I was able to be out with the family while reloading. Yea it took 45 minutes to gas check/size 80 Boolits, but by far the most fun I’ve had reloading!

ghh3rd
03-30-2019, 11:18 PM
Congratulations for spending quality time with your son.

CastingFool
03-30-2019, 11:34 PM
I had my oldest daughter reloading shotgun shells when she was 4. Didn't have the strength to deprime the shell, but every other step, she did by herself. She would sit on my lap and reload 10-20 shells, and her curiosity was s

CastingFool
03-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Hit the post button my mistake. Her curiosity was satisfied and she was happy. She also made it very evident she knew and understood the process, too.

Winger Ed.
03-31-2019, 12:13 AM
That is cool. When mine were little, I clamped my press on the dinner table and they'd pull the handle.

When the oldest started trying to pinch my finger, he had to pull it down, push it back up, then take his hand off it
until I got another shell on the holder.

EDG
03-31-2019, 03:40 AM
My youngest daughter decapped a few cases with my Rock Chucker press about 30 years ago.
I had to stay right with her to make sure she did not drop the handle with the other hand between the ram and the decapping pin.

Weeks later it looked like a squirrel had been at the press. There were pecan shell fragments all around it. Then I figured out that an unsupervised little girl brought her pecans out in the garage and crushed them with the loading press.

jsizemore
03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
My youngest daughter decapped a few cases with my Rock Chucker press about 30 years ago.
I had to stay right with her to make sure she did not drop the handle with the other hand between the ram and the decapping pin.

Weeks later it looked like a squirrel had been at the press. There were pecan shell fragments all around it. Then I figured out that an unsupervised little girl brought her pecans out in the garage and crushed them with the loading press.

Almost spilled my coffee.

lightman
03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a fun day that She will always remember.

Froogal
03-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Well golly gee whiz. I never even thought about using a reloading press for cracking nuts. It's simply amazing what kids can teach us.

tim338
03-31-2019, 09:49 AM
Some of my best memories are loading with my dad. I would size 38 specials on a Lyman press. Good times...

bedbugbilly
03-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Sounds like a good time! Just don't make those PC bolts look like candy with bright colors so he gets the idea they are something to eat. Enjoy - a good father/son time!

fast ronnie
03-31-2019, 10:48 AM

When loading for the 25 ACP!!!!!!!! I can relate to that one!!!!!!

WRideout
04-02-2019, 07:54 AM
My 39 year-old daughter still remembers casting boolits with me in my mom's garage when she was about ten. I have been getting the granddaughters (who are old enough) to pull the handle on my reloading press.

Wayne

RED BEAR
04-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Hey thats great my grandkids love to help when they come over.

ericp
04-04-2019, 09:17 PM
That's great!

One of my earliest memories is hanging on my grandfather's press handle trying to full length size a case. In retrospect it must have been a 270, only bottle neck he loaded for.

Eric

MrHarmless
04-04-2019, 09:36 PM
... all while watching Whinnie the Pooh.

You've got it good. Being able to stream multiple episodes consecutively means you don't have to keep rewinding the same tape over and over like my dad did! Haha.

T_McD
04-04-2019, 09:47 PM
That is the truth!

ghh3rd
04-06-2019, 09:16 PM
When we got our first DVD player I caught my son playing one backwards. He said he was rewinding it :smile:.