PDA

View Full Version : Needed .. 22 hornet chamber reamer and other stuff

redneck1
03-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I hope no one minds if I post this here .

The other day I was digging threw my " stuff " and I found a 25 inch
Green mountain barrel blank . A .224 dia 1-12 twist blank to be exact . It must have been an on sale item cause I for sure don't remember buying it .
I can't have a brand new barrel blank sitting around so I decided to build another Frank dehaas chicopee rifle with it .

I spent a few hours and got the blank turned down to a manageable size for my little lathe , and started making the parts for the action .
I got most of those done and realized a flaw in my plan of a quick rifle build .... I don't have a reamer ! Ooops.

So maybe you have a .22 hornet chamber reamer you don't need anymore . I'd like to buy it or trade you out of it . Trading is my prefered method .

And I could use a few 22 hornet cases for setting head space .
Ideally 10 or more so I can measure rims and get an average thickness .
Or if you have a good supply ,.. maybe I can buy or trade you out of 100 or so cases , I'll be needing them down the road anyways .

And down the road a piece I'll also be needing a set of dies .
If you have a set and aren't in a hurry , maybe we can get something worked out for when I'm ready for them .

Oh yea ... this is the helping hands area .
So if you keep looking I'll post a couple pictures of where I'm at in my quick build . And at the very bottom you'll notice one item i dont need for my build .
A reciever ring for a chickopee build using a 10-22 barrel .
If your familiar with the de-Haas actions and have maybe wanted to do a build yourself but lack machine tools . Here ya go ... the only part in the build you can't make without a lathe . Just post an I would like it and in a few days if there more then one taker I'll draw lots for it .

1989toddm
03-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Looks like a lot of fun and a cool falling block design! I have a 22 hornet reamer, but don't want to get rid of it just yet. I don't have ready access to machine tools or I would have embarked on a journey like this. Pm me, we may be able to work something out.

elmacgyver0
03-30-2019, 09:15 PM
I built one of these in 17 HMR neat little gun. I need to do a little work on it as it does not always work the first time.
I think I need to make my hammer spring a little longer.
Those kits save a lot of work, but the guy quit making them. Perhaps someone else is now.

redneck1
03-30-2019, 09:32 PM
Sweet ... pm inbound .

Elmacyver
I built one already in 25-20 it turned out pretty decent . I think most of the time involved is fitting everything .
But you bring up a sore point in the builds , springs !
I hate messing around trying to get springs right . Hours and hours and hours spent .
You also mentioned kits , I bought one of the kits before the first build , it's where the 10-22 reciever ring came from .
If anyone happens to see a kit for sale , I highly recommend staying away from them unless it's cheap as dirt .
The receiver ring I got was very well made , everything else was trash an only served well as basic templates
The parts I already have cut out and holes drilled in I copied from my other rifle . They all still need quite a bit of work yet .

redneck1
04-08-2019, 04:13 PM
reamer is all taken care of :)

redneck1
04-29-2019, 03:44 PM
many thanks to 1989toddm
with a little trading I got the use of his reamer to finish up my barrel .
life is good :)

1989toddm
04-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Glad it worked out! Don't forget we need pics of the finished rifle when you get to that[emoji16]