PDA

View Full Version : My sons Boy Scout Eagle project

HATCH
03-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Started work today on his project.
His project is a 12x10 dining structure.
Basically 4 posts with a roof.
This is what he and 5 other boys did today in about 4.5 hrs with a little instruction.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190330/f9c5e38742488ddd73ccea611aec3c53.jpg

The posts are 6x6
The long beams are 2x8 and the short ones are 2x6.
The height from the ground to the bottom of the 2x8 is @ 81 inches or a little over 6.75 feet.
That should allow for the majority people that use that structure to safety walk under it without any problems.

My son wasn’t extremely happy with the fact that initially he was told by the scout leaders that the material was all being provided.
Turns out that only some of the material has been provided.
We were able to get the 6x6 posts and the 2x6 posts from a on going construction project on site (approved not stolen).
He has spent @$160 so far on bolt hardware, screws, 2x8s and the 350#s of concrete.

Still have to buy the material for the roof.
Figure when it’s all said and done he will have to spend about $500 total give or take.
Lucky it’s gonna be a metal roof.
Anyway thought I would share that.

Edit - the benefactor is Christ Central Ministries.
This is at a lake retreat they have.
Scouts and church members can use the facility

Hick
03-30-2019, 08:06 PM
The whole purpose of the Eagle Scout project is for the young man to develop and carry out a project. Too bad the materials were not donated as planned-- but the project is the important part. It's great that he is doing this and for a Church as well. As an Eagle myself and father (and grandfather) of Eagles I'm certain you are proud of his efforts-- as you should be! $500 is nothing compared to satisfaction with success. Congratulations on having an Eagle in the family!

HodakaGA
03-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Always proud of of an Eagle in the making. My son's Eagle meant so much to me and ended up getting him around $1000 per semester scholarship for 3 years of college.. he left the Corp of Cadets after his 3rd year deciding that under Obama the military had had no chance of survival. He was mostly right.

Conditor22
03-30-2019, 08:26 PM
Everyone should be a BoyScout.
I was a Patrol leader, quartermaster, bugler, and den chief. -- A lot of good memories and useful information for later in life.
Everyone in the troup learned gun safety. (our scoutmaster was the head of the Green Beret)

xbeeman412
03-30-2019, 09:30 PM
congratulations to Your son

richhodg66
03-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Both my sons are Eagle Scouts. Since I retired from the Army, I teach JROTC and periodically have a student who makes Eagle Scout. I've been invited to several courts of honor and even asked to speak at one of them.

Eagle Scout is a big deal. It's a shame the BSA as an organization is in such decline, but at the troop level, it seems to be pretty much the same spirit as it always has been. Congratulations to you and your son.

WinchesterM1
03-30-2019, 09:49 PM
That’s awesome!! I had over 2k hours in my project I’d do it again in a heartbeat!!

WheelgunConvert
03-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Well done sir. Eagle Scout is one of the few achievements that will be recognized for life that is accomplished prior to high school graduation.

It wasn’t too long ago that presidents were Eagle Scouts.

Again, well done sir.

Pete44mag
03-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Congratulations Hatch to you and your Son! Congrats to you for raising such a fine upstanding young man and congrats to your Son for his hard work and perseverance to reach such a lofty goal at a young age! Our country needs more young people like your Son!!!

MrHarmless
03-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Good on him. I'm an eagle myself. Has your son gone out to various local lumber yards, big box stores, or construction companies aside from the one you've already used seeking material donations?

Many of them love to help out. Going in person instead of calling and emailing works even better.

My project was replacing something like 60 bluebird houses at my local wildlife sanctuary.

I talked to a few construction contractors for conduit, and one just opened their scrap pile to us.

lightman
03-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Congratulations to your Son!

I was an Eagle and so are both of my Sons. The Grandson just crossed over to Boy Scouts. I'm always happy to see another young man headed in this direction.

jsizemore
03-31-2019, 09:47 AM
I helped a HS senior I've known since he was a baby with his project. Local Lowe's commercial desk helped with the supplies. It took about 2 months for corporate approval. Picnic tables were donated to a battered spouse with children shelter in our area. 4 adult and 4 kid's tables. Besides cutting the wood my only other contribution was the 10% rule. Seemed to spark a fire in a few of them.

bedbugbilly
03-31-2019, 10:57 AM
Never really had the opportunity to do scouting when I was a kid but I have watched many kids participate in scouting over the years - you son, and those like him are to be congratulated. They are learning valuable lessons that will stay with them their entire lives and they learn the fun and pleasure it gives to give back to their communities and those who are in need. You've done a good job and I know you are all as proud as cam be of him.

woodbutcher
03-31-2019, 01:40 PM
:D Outstanding Sir.Congrats to both of you.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe,
leo

fatnhappy
03-31-2019, 07:38 PM
I’m just getting home from a camp out.

This touches close to home. My son’s eagle project is about 90% complete. We’ll finish up next Saturday. Lucky for us the conservation project is fully funded.

My congratulations to your son.

osteodoc08
04-02-2019, 12:02 AM
Congratulations to you and your son. Achieving Eagle Scout is something to be very proud of.

When I did my Eagle Scout project 20-25 years ago. I had to go and drum up some donations. Has he attempted this?

04-02-2019, 12:10 AM
You are right to be a proud dad. Reflects well on both you, and your son.

Jedman
04-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Your structure looks nice ! If you have anymore 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 lumber left (8). 45 degree corner braces at the top post to beam joint inside will add much to the wind resistance and stiffness.
As said all boys should be Boyscouts.

Jedman

RED BEAR
04-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Hey thats great good on him you obviously did a good job raising him.

fatnhappy
04-06-2019, 04:11 PM
My son just finished his Eagle project today. We’ll turn in his package next week.

GrumpyBear
04-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Just a heads up, when my oldest son did his Eagle Project, I went to Lowes, to see if I could get a discount on materials, and they donated most of what was needed, and discounted the rest.

You all should be very proud of your almost Eagle Scouts, I still am of my son, and yours.

HATCH
05-18-2019, 11:57 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190518/06f3389f9ea2401dccc55aac6069a6b0.jpg

Got the rafters built and up today.
Lost a spacer for the blade on my circular saw so had to stop working for the day.
Figure one more work day.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Neat !

lightman
05-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Good Job!

jsizemore
05-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Your almost there. Congratulations to you and your son and all the folks that get to enjoy it in the future.

HATCH
05-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Ethan was very fortunate to have some CB members give him a couple donations so he was able to buy the wood for the rafters and most of the metal for the roof.

Tripplebeards
05-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Great job! I earned my Eagle when I was 13...I was a little OCD on earning merit badges.lol

My project I came up with...back in 83’ was to go to all the local area parks and fill in hollow holes in trees with a plaster of Paris concoction that was donated by the DNR. So I got by for zero dollars spent until I had to feed my fellow scouts that I recruited to help out. I also picked up old tires(a lot) and similar things that could hold water that made good mosquito breeding grounds. Encephalitis was a hot topic way back in the time that I did this. I can still remember the spray trucks that used to come around in the early 70s when the city use to spray for Mosquitoes. As soon as we would here the spray truck all the kids would run to get into the house because we literally couldn’t breathe after they sprayed. I’m sure it took out a lot of honey bees an monarch butterflies along with what ever ate the bugs ate as well.

I tell you scouting sure isn’t the same when I was a kid. We had Two to three leaders and about 15/20 kids. Raising heck on camping trips, getting into fights, bloody noses, getting tapped out for order of the arrow and sleeping under a pine tree with nothing but what you had on and getting bit by mosquitoes all night...and waking up with solid pine sap in your hair!..and then not being able to talk for three days while being assigned rotten jobs and getting fed dry macaroni for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Oh yeah I think they gave us a wad of peanut butter and an orange during the day. Talk about making a man out of you! The world would lock our leaders and camp counselors up for doing that to kids now a days. It’s a shame, that stuff hardens a kid and makes a man out you imo and makes great, unforgettable lifetime memories. I can remember being dumped off in the woods in the middle of the night with a buddy(the leaders did this in teams of two) armed with nothing but a flashlight,compass, and a map to get back to camp...to earn one of our merit badges...that was a blast. Forgot about earning the wilderness survival merit badge at summer camp. We had to make a shelter out of sticks, mud, leaves, etc. and sleep in it overnight. We also had to go out and find edible plants “ to survive on,lol” overnight along with drinking pine needle tea and wiping our butts with pine cones. I went to my buddies kids winter camp years ago and there was a parent for each kid...and mothers there. Now my other buddies kids have more girls in his troop than boys! Confusion!!! I don’t blame women or the girls by any means...I blame the Boy Scouts of America for not doing a better job of recruiting kids so imo they had to bring in the opposite sex to keep the scouts from going under...politics. My mom was our Cub Scout leader, my dads was an assistant scout master for webelos. My mom also was the leader for brownies and girl scouts for my sister growing up for a few years. So the girls they still have brownies and Girl Scouts...so what’s the big hype with wanting to be a Boy Scout??? Never seen a boy yet that wanted to be a brownie? I’m sure with transgenders and liberals trying to take over the world it’s going to happen.

Sorry for the politics rant. That project looks awesome and will outlast what I did for decades to come.

osteodoc08
05-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Tripplebeards,

I remember scouting like you did. We were a rough and tumble group and would typically win the physical challenges during the scouting jamborees. We’ve had plenty of fights and punishment was usually labor intensive and mum was the word when we got home. Funny thing was, whatever happened on the camping trip, stayed on the camping trip (usually). More in reference to general ruckus stuff, nothing criminal. Order of the Arrow was the same miserable 3 days for me as well. Thankfully it wasn’t raining those three days and cool enough to have a fire and keep the bugs away. A lot sure has changed. I imagine the recent changes has more to do with survivability of the BSA by having a more inclusive nature as opposed to exclusive, generating revenue. But that’s a subject for a pit topic.

Proud of your son HATCH. The lessons learned here will guide him through life and serve him well.

Abert Rim
05-23-2019, 07:58 AM
Can't wait to see it complete -- and the small on your son's face, Hatch.
With a middle of Baden and a last of Powell, I pretty much had to get my Eagle. I wonder if our kids still get a form letter from the president. Mine was from Richard Nixon.

pworley1
05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
My Son's Eagle project was to build a side walk between the parking lot and a new school building ( about 40'). A local business donated the concrete and others provided everything else, all he had to do was ask. That was in the late 90's and it is still getting kids inside with dry feet today. Congratulations to you and your son!

fatnhappy
05-23-2019, 10:31 AM
My son's Eagle Board of review is this afternoon.

My bother is an Eagle Scout.
My other brother is an Eagle scout.
My other brother's 2 sons are Eagle Scouts.
I am an Eagle Scout.

I'm afraid this will likely be the last generation of Eagle scouts given the current losses in the BSA. That's definitely a subject for the pit.

Abert Rim
05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Fatnhappy, that is one heck of a family tradition you have gong there.
I got the middle name of Baden from Dad, who got his Eagle in 1941. I'm the end of the line for Scouts, I am afraid.

Tripplebeards
05-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Can't wait to see it complete -- and the small on your son's face, Hatch.
With a middle of Baden and a last of Powell, I pretty much had to get my Eagle. I wonder if our kids still get a form letter from the president. Mine was from Richard Nixon.

I think I received one back in 83’...don’t remember who was president then.lol

HATCH
06-11-2019, 09:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/556e1fa3658d47b3b9a52b873f4b5691.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190612/cc7057f759b4624d364a79c8b9302c4a.jpg

Closer

osteodoc08
06-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Looking good. Hope you were able to raise the funds needed.

HATCH
06-11-2019, 10:47 PM
We were able to raise a little over 1/2 the needed funds.
We were weather delayed and was just able to start back today.
Family trip will delay it till next week but should be able to finish it then.

skeeter2
06-12-2019, 10:02 AM
This is interesting to me. My son got his Eagle last night. When he had a project in mind, part of the initial application and planning was how to obtain funding. That’s part of the learning and maturing process for the boys. Not just another case of mom and dad will pay for it. If you don’t have funding, they don’t approve your project. His project didn’t cost me a dime.

HATCH
06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Well, this is what happen.
A scout did his project last year.
It was a kayak storage rack.
He went way over budget due to poor planning and Mis-measurements (wasted wood).

So initially my sons project was signed off on as being fully funded. But after everyone approved the project, the person that deals with projects like this said that they weren’t going to provide funds. It wasn’t that they didn’t want the project because this is the guy that told us what our project was going to be.

It could be the fact that my wife makes good money or could be that the other project was mishandled so badly. I don’t know.
I just know that it sucked to have to hunt up funds for this project when every project in the past has been fully funded.
We were able to raise around $250 thru Cast Boolits donations and it looks like the entire project will end up being around $500 when it’s all said and done.
The benefactor had a on going construction project that had some surplus materials so we were able to get some wood from it. There was also some material left over from the kayak rack that we were able to use (metal drip edge, 6x6x10 posts)

Right now we have all the material we need and hopefully maybe next week in the afternoon we will be able to finish it.
He has 3 sheets of roofing to install and then the ridge cap. We have plenty of screws and all the pieces.
Need to cut the width down on a couple roof panels but that is about it.

fatnhappy
06-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Hatch, that's just a bunch of ** they should never have thrown at a scout half way into a project, I'm sorry. That's not fair or right to treat a scout that way.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, we know full well how much work goes into getting to this point in scouting. Finish it up and put a wee dram in your coffee.

PS My son is now an Eagle Scout

https://retailobjects.scoutshop.org/media/catalog/product/cache/e4d64343b1bc593f1c5348fe05efa4a6/6/4/649616_f.jpg

HATCH
07-26-2019, 11:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190727/93187c9efe1c9b10051c9f493b8cc3ea.jpg

Finally. It’s done

Ethan did a week at summer camp. He went back for 2 more weeks of training and then we did a week of vacation.
So glad it’s finish.
Now got to finish his report and wrap up some merit badges and he will be done.

Looking like September will be his Eagle board or review!

Conditor22
07-27-2019, 02:19 AM
Congrats, He'll carry that (Eagle) with him for the rest of his life.

Buzz Krumhunger
07-27-2019, 03:01 AM
That’s a job to be proud of. Nice work.

flyingmonkey35
07-27-2019, 05:50 AM
hey did you get the funds coverd?

I can donate to help cover some of your out of pocket costs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HATCH
07-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Ethan is out of pocket @$275 for his project.
It’s not really that bad.
I am really proud of him. We really did a lot of work

osteodoc08
07-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Great looking building hes got there Hatch. I know you’re a proud daddy. Congrats to your new Eagle Scout. Do they still send out the signed letters from the POTUS?

smoked turkey
07-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Hatch, good write up and wonderful project. Congratulations to Ethan and your family. This is a big deal and has been a great learning process for him. I am sorry to say I didn't have the opportunity to be in Scouts as a boy. Our grandson is an Eagle and we got to experience it through his activities.

HATCH
09-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Just to do a follow up.

My son has his Eagle Board of Review in a couple weeks.
He completed his ‘Eagle Book’ and has all his required merit badges done.

osteodoc08
09-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Most excellent!

HATCH
10-17-2019, 08:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191018/f80fb41639c0aea45d718d02bd8d8e5a.jpg

It’s official
My son is a Eagle Scout!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
10-17-2019, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the elite!

fatnhappy
10-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Congrat Hatch.

You should be justly proud

lead-1
10-20-2019, 02:29 AM
Congrats to your Son and his supporting Family. I know a couple kids locally that didn't finish their Eagle book from lack of help/support from their family so they lost interest also.

jsizemore
10-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Is the space shuttle next? Looks too big.

HATCH
10-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Is the space shuttle next? Looks too big.

At age 15, I think that anything would be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
10-20-2019, 11:20 AM
You should, indeed, be MOST proud of both your son, as well as the direction YOU and your family pointed him in to attain this very arduous and difficult to attain accomplishment!
Kudos to all associated!
geo

osteodoc08
10-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Congrats Hatch. I know he worked on this for some time. Thank you for letting us be a part of it.

Minerat
10-21-2019, 11:58 PM
Congratulations to Ethan, Hatch and to you and your family for supporting and encouraging him to reach his goal.