PDA

View Full Version : $20 And $50

Johnch
03-30-2019, 03:49 PM
My Brother went to a Farm auction this morning

Last night I told him if any "Interesting" guns sell cheap
Put a bid in on 1 or 2 for me

I just got a call that I now own a 25 Hornet rifle ,a old scope , dies , 2 molds and Brass
Not sure what action was used , but he said it looks OLD , but clean

His $20 bid was the only bid

He had to bid 2 times on a older Remington 12 gauge 870 $30 and $50
It has a 30" full and 28" mod barrels
He said it was a "Barn" or "Tractor" gun from the finish wear and rust

LOL He wanted a 12 gauge shotgun to use for groundhog control from the tractor anyway

He laughed when he told me several OLD H&R single shot shotguns went from $75 to $150

If my "New" rifle shoots well
I will just have to use it on Tree Rats LOL

John

skeettx
03-30-2019, 04:07 PM
I am waiting for the picture of the action :)

BigAlofPa.
03-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Cool you both got a great deals.

Jedman
03-30-2019, 05:53 PM
I have bought a few guns at auctions before but most of the time the bidders go nuts on the price.
I went to a auction last year over the Memorial Day weekend at a Amish farm and there were 30+ guns there. I was only semi interested in one shotgun but it was near the end of the row of guns so I watched as they were sold.
I buy and sell guns quite often and know prices for common guns pretty well and was completely dumbfounded by the prices people were paying ! More than half of the buyers were also Amish and I have heard that they cannot buy new guns at a store or where they fill out a form 4473 as they don't have a drivers license or proper ID's but I don't know if that is true or not.
I will not try to make examples of crazy prices paid except for one that I seen and could not believe ! There was a common used Hi Point 9 mm pistol there with no extras just the pistol in good condition and it sold for $ 250 !! On a black friday sale last year there was a local store that had the same pistols on sale for $ 109.00 . Needless to say a bid never came out of my mouth for the shotgun that I was watching as the opening bid was higher then I would have gone up to.
This all seems strange because I can find good buys sometimes at gun shows that I know if I want to resell I can make a good profit on but have to tell myself " you don't need it " as I am really trying to down size.

Jedman

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Good grief, what planet was that auction at?
guns going for $20 and $50 :shock:
It surely wasn't on Earth.

Skunk1
03-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Never seen an auction like that. Always go for twice their worth here. Good deal for you!!

Bazoo
03-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Jesman that is true about the Amish. We have Amish folk round here and the local gunsmith was telling me they would come in wanting to buy but couldn't because he had to have an ID. He said after sometimes a group of younger ones would come in and look over their shoulders then slip an ID out of their sock so they could buy.

I'm surprised they don't get some kind of religious exemption, like they do for taxes.

richhodg66
03-30-2019, 09:18 PM
I'd love to have a .25 Hornet. Always seemed to me like such a rifle would make the perfect cast bullet squirrel rifle. Very seriously considering having MGM make me a .25-20 barrel for my Contender carbine.

Johnch
03-30-2019, 10:51 PM
OK
My "New" rifle was NOT old

It was a 25 Hornet
On a 25 Savage Walking Varimter action with a Synthetic Stock
A CHEAP Tasco scope

John

garandsrus
03-30-2019, 11:30 PM
John,

Here’s an article I found when looking up the caliber: https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl100partial.pdf

Have fun!

Shepherd2
03-31-2019, 08:00 AM
People do go crazy bidding on things at auctions. Especially guns. We sold our farm, equipment and most of our personal things at auction several years ago. I included 16 firearms that I no longer wanted. While the guns were being sold my wife would ask me what I paid for that one. I'd smile and tell her. She said I should sell all my guns. Luckily the keepers were 60 miles away at our new home.

1911sw45
03-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Jedman, here in KY if you buy a firearm at a auction, they have to do a 4473 on every one or you don't get it. So I call some ** on that.

sigep1764
03-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Thats a pretty nice rifle that retails for $400. And you scored it for nothing! If you decide you don't like it, you let me know.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Jedman, here in KY if you buy a firearm at a auction, they have to do a 4473 on every one or you don't get it. So I call some ** on that.

The BATFE allow a private seller to auction them off (no 4473). A licensed auctioneer can be contracted to do the auction, but they have specific rules they must follow. While some Auctioneers do this, many Auctioneers will not do private sales, either because of personal beliefs or the potential liability if a 'bad' actor buys a gun, but the Seller would be the first person to be held accountable in that case...and while everything is legal, a person or Auctioneer could be forced to spend some time in Court.

Now some States may have laws that go beyond what the BATFE will allow, I don't know about KY, but that surely could be the case.

Anyway, in Minnesota, most auctions of firearms, the buyer needs to fill out a 4473, but there are a few where you don't.

richhodg66
04-01-2019, 06:53 AM
OK
My "New" rifle was NOT old

It was a 25 Hornet
On a 25 Savage Walking Varimter action with a Synthetic Stock
A CHEAP Tasco scope

John

The ones of those I have seen and handled are ugly as a bowling shoe, but reports from the field say they are great shooters. Sounds like an excellent rifle for poking around the woods and fields with.

Jedman
04-01-2019, 07:30 PM

There is a large auction house near where I live that does many firearms auctions at there building. I have bought at least 3 rifles over the years from them and they have never required me to fill out a 4473. They do charge Ohio sales tax on them though so that adds 7 1/4 % to the sale.
Some of the other auction companies near me charge a 15 % buyers premium plus sales tax !
I have watched people bid up used guns with broken or missing parts to the point of what a new gun would cost and then they still have to pay that buyers premium .
I have a rare antique shotgun that I considered to send to Rock Island Autions to sell for me until I considered all the costs involved. That company gets 20 % buyers premium plus 20 % sellers premium plus you pay shipping plus insurance to send them your gun so I decided that if I don't sell it on my own at some point it can go to the Cody Musuem in Cody, WY.

Jedman

CLAYPOOL
04-01-2019, 11:26 PM
I bought a Early Remington 40 x @ auction about 5 years ago for $ 500.00. .25-06 I had the gun before that one @ $ 850.00. Sako Ultra H & R . Been re-barreled to A Mach IV. The Scope on it @ my cost was over $ 500.00 @ the time. THE Absolute best I have ever done at auction. They went crazy on the shotguns the man and son had used for years after that. Ducks of the sons went high. Bear scull with tags went for $ 85.00.

BigAlofPa.
04-02-2019, 12:04 PM
I bought a shotgun at an estate auction in the 90's. Had to fill a yellow paper. It wasn't the normal form.