PDA

View Full Version : Bore and groove diameters Smith & Wesson Model 325 TR

Cristiano1911
03-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Hi all, just joined. Called S&W Customer Service; lady refused to give me the bore, groove and throat diameters for the S&W 325 TR. Anyone know these measurements? If this is a secret, and, you are willing, please e-mail me using a public computer and a fake "handle" so that no one can identify you. I just want to know so that I may judge which hardcast 250 grain wadcutter I should purchase to load .45 Auto Rim cartridges. Thanks, in advance for any help you would be willing to render!:lovebooli

onelight
03-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Your best bet is to slug your barrel and cylinder to see what your particular gun needs.

243winxb
03-30-2019, 10:10 AM
As reamers wear, it changes. But kept within tolerances. See SAAMI link. https://saami.org

A Bullet diameter of .452" lead works well as a standard.

Outpost75
03-30-2019, 10:18 AM
In the .45 Auto Rim you don't need or want "hard" cast.

And it doesn't matter what the bore and groove diameters of the barrel are.

You want to measure the diameters of the cylinder throats and use bullets which fit them.

An alloy of 8-10 BHN will work best, but straight wheel weights, air cooled, at 12 BHN are OK.

str8wal
03-30-2019, 10:37 AM
You want to measure the diameters of the cylinder throats and use bullets which fit them.

This is true IF the throats are at least as large or better slightly larger than the groove dia. Best thing is to slug the barrel and see what you have to work with. Then if that slug passes through the throats with little or no resistance you are G2G

onelight
03-30-2019, 11:03 AM
I have used pure lead balls for black powder revolvers to slug they do need to be bigger than bore size maybe 457 might work.

ShooterAZ
03-30-2019, 11:54 AM
You don't need to slug your bore. As mentioned, size to fit the cylinder throats. I size to .452 for my S&W 625, and it works fine. I suspect this is going to be what you want too. I use this mold in the 45 Auto Rim, it's a 255 gr boolit, and it's a real thumper. There's plenty of other choices out there as well. Hope this helps...

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?products_id=448

Outpost75
03-30-2019, 11:59 AM
This is true IF the throats are at least as large or better slightly larger than the groove dia. Best thing is to slug the barrel and see what you have to work with. Then if that slug passes through the throats with little or no resistance you are G2G

Ideally you want to be able to push the bullet through the throats with hand pressure only, wiping a film of lube on the throats. I've not yet seen an S&W .45 with throats smaller than groove diameter. Usually S&Ws run large. Rugers OTOH frequently run small.

Cristiano1911
03-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Thank you for all the information! Wow, you guys are great! I will slug the barrel as well as the throats.

Ramjet-SS
04-01-2019, 03:56 PM
I run boolit sized to .452 they shoot great from my TR revolver. Awesome gun by the way really like mine.